Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was feeling pretty shitty, and eating a bunch of foods that I was not supposed to eat, (I am allergic to wheat, corn, peanuts, and walnuts, and lactose intolerant). My skin was looking worse than ever. Even though I never have had severe acne, for the last two years I have had persistent mild to moderate acne, it was looking especially bad. So I decided it was time to do something drastic. I started the Paleo diet 5 weeks ago today. I did not cheat once, and ate more meat than the diet recommends. I would say that 50% of my calories come from meat alone. I would have eaten more fruits and vegetables, but I just love meat so much and my dad is paying for my food right now. I did not eat any tubers, or drink any alcohol, or drink diet soda, I followed the diet exactly. And it seems to be paying off. I would say that my acne is has improved immensely and so has my seborrheic dermatitis. I still am getting some pimples, but they are generally small and there seem to be no new clogged pores. My back is now almost completely clear, and the red bumps I kept getting on my chest are completely clear. I used to get small but somewhat painful pimples above my lip, and those are completely clear. Right now I have one pimple on my cheek, one on my chin, and one on my forehead. None are major. And some blackheads on and around my nose. I also have quite a few red marks, where pimples were but I know that those will go away.

And aside from my acne improving, I have tons of energy. I started lifting weights again last week after not lifting for a year or so. Even though I started really heavy, My muscles are barely tired out. And before starting the Paleo diet I was always tired throughout the day, usually taking a nap after my classes. Now, I don't even feel tired and have not taken a nap in 4 weeks.

Also, the book "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain is a pretty interesting book even if you don't follow the diet exactly, he writes about a bunch of studies that back up his theory and how his diet helps tons of problems and diseases.

I plan on staying on the Paleo diet, so if anyone has questions to ask me please do. I will try and update my progress once a week or so.

--Changes--

After week 6 I started taking Cod Liver Oil for the Omega 3's and the Vitamin D, and also Primal Defense (probiotic) to help improve my intestinal flora

Good to hear. I'm curious do you eat any nuts, any salt? I'm trying to figure out where I might have went wrong. Also, how's your digestion? When I first started, I went hog wild on the meat also but was pretty constipated until I shifted to going hog wild on veggies and fruits instead. The one thing that really sucks though, is this diet costs me probably 3x as much as my old way of eating, fresh foods aren't cheap.

I do eat some nuts, but not a ton, I don't think that it really matters, when I do though, I eat raw nuts. I have pretty much no salt, but occasionally when somebody else cooks, I will eat the salt that they put on. I have bowel movements 2-3 times a day and my digestion has never been this good. I think that you have to eat enough fruits and veggies to not get constipated, but still eat a lot of meat. I am lucky because my dad is paying for my food now while I am going to school, when summer rolls around, he might not be so generous. Some things that you can do to cut down on the cost would be things like going to farmer's markets or buying straight from farms. If you know any farmers, or have any family friends that are farmers you might want to ask them. Also, I do try and eat meat from animals that were not fed hormones or antibiotics. Plus, the diet takes time to clear acne, I have read on a study that Loren Cordain helped with, that it can take 6 weeks for improvement.

Thanks for the info. I think the main difference for me is I'm still only getting 1 BM a day with a lot of fruit and veggies (probably 8-10 servings a day) although this is actually an improvement and mine are much smoother now. I used to go every other day. Hopefully I can improve this more, but 2-3 still seems like a pipedream unless I get an upset stomach or something.

Well yesterday I ate some Pecans and Brazil Nuts mixed together. It ended up being pretty bad. About an hour after I ate them I felt really dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out. I know I am allergic to some other tree nuts, but did not know I was allergic to either of these. After a few hours of laying down, hoping I wouldn't die I started to feel better and my parents drove me back to my dorm. This morning I woke up with big red rashes on my arms. It is about midday right now and the rashes are getting better. It is just about week six, 2 more days and I will have made it 6 weeks on the paleo diet.

This week, my skin actually looks about the same as last week. About 3 small to medium size pimples, but still no new clogged pores.

I am also going to start taking Fish Oil Capsules, to keep my Omega 6 and Omega 3 ratio in balance, at this time, I really don't think I am going to take any other supplements. In the book "The Paleo Diet" Cordain recommends adding Omega 3 oils to your foods since our modern day farm animals and foods, are unbalanced respect to Omega 3 and Omega 6. Since I am not adding any Omega 3 oils to my food, I am going to start taking Fish Oil Capsules.

Otherwise no big skin improvements.

Damn, sorry to hear about your rashes notadoctor, I'm glad to hear they are clearing up though!

I also started the Paleo Diet about 3 days ago, eating mostly nuts/fruits/ and vegetables because of the lack of meat around my house and lack of resources to cook it.

Do you reccomend it would be ok to just buy raw beef and fry it in a pan?

I often cook steak in a pan, or porkchops in a pan, or chicken in a pan. Here is a website to check out for many recipes.

http://paleofood.com/

The book "The Paleo Diet" also has many recipes, except some in the book say to add Omega 3 oils before cooking, and since the book has been published Loren Cordain has said not to add Polyunsaturated fats to food before heating because they turn oxidative and cause problems. So in his book, in recipes that need to be heated replace any Omega 3 oil with Olive Oil.

I often cook steak in a pan, or porkchops in a pan, or chicken in a pan. Here is a website to check out for many recipes.

I am new to this cooking meat thing, fish is easy because it cooks super fast. But chicken in a pan takes a while and it always turns out to be a mess with me tearing it apart to see if its cooked. How exactly do you cook your chicken? What oil do you use?

I am new to this cooking meat thing, fish is easy because it cooks super fast. But chicken in a pan takes a while and it always turns out to be a mess with me tearing it apart to see if its cooked. How exactly do you cook your chicken? What oil do you use?

When I first started the paleo diet I was cooking everything in olive oil and canola oil as recommended by Cordain. However, I definitely seem to break out less when I avoid cooking in any vegetable oil. Even these oils have enough polyunsaturated fat to become unstable when heated and probably way too much omega 6 if you're going to be cooking with them daily. If you're going to cook with fat, you're probably better off with a saturated fat even cheating with butter if your stomach can handle the dairy. Lately I've been using Virgin Coconut oil, but I'm not totally convinced. I think I look better and feel better if I avoid cooking with any fat, the george foreman does wonders (although the taste and texture leaves a lot to be desired)!

I have thought about that too with the switching oils, but since I can't really use butter, I don't feel like switching, and I do grill on weekends. I am not really sure if the oils make a difference or not, it is hard to say. Plus the amount of Polyunsaturated fats is so little in Olive Oil. Cordain now recommends using Olive Oil when using cooking oils. There are also lots of things that you can bake. You don't just have to use a stove top. To tell when chicken is done, just cook it at like a medium temperature in the pan (for me 6 and the knob goes to 10) and stop cooking when it is partially brown on the outside, but not burnt. I usually cook my chicken with olive oil in the pan, and sprinkle some black pepper and garlic powder on top, sometimes using onions and sometimes not. I occassionally do other things, but that requires the least preparation. Baking chicken is also very easy, and you can use many recipes. If you want to know I can tell you an easy baked chicken recipe too. All of it just kind of takes experience after a while you will get the hang of it.

Here is another site with some useful information, not so much for cooking, but for info on the paleo diet.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/

This is not from Cordain,and has some not so scientific, but interesting stuff

http://www.paleodiet.com/

I had to learn how to cook meat too. For chicken, time might depend a little bit on how big it is. To cook pieces of chicken (breast, thighs, legs), I coat it with a little butter or olive oil, a bit of tamari and cook it for about 50 min to an hour at 350. For a whole chicken, I usually cook it for a little over an hour up to 1.5 hrs. depending on the size of the chicken. Other thing you could do is get a meat thermometer and look up the temp that chicken should be cooked to, so you can check it w/o tearing it apart.

The butter or oil + the tamari and chicken juices that remain in the pan after cooking are really tasty (and nutritious) poured over steamed broccoli.

Hi guys,

How many of you out there are actually following this diet 100%? I'm currently thinking about changing a few things in my diet, not drastically dropping whole groups - just reducing/balancing my intake of various sources. I would imagine that it's pretty difficult to follow this strict diet, especially if you ever eat out anywhere. I just wondered how you were combining this with modern living. Do you include plenty of fresh air (i say fresh), sun and exercise? And have you tried other diets and removing food groups before trying this?

Dave

I follow the diet about as close to 100% as possible. The only thing that I occasionally cheat on is salt. Since I have started this, I have not eaten out alot. But when I have, I have made sure to tell the restaurant what I did not want in my food, I am used to this, because I have done it with my food allergies before, and have to be especially careful with nuts. I have eaten at Outback Steakhouse about 4 times since I started this diet. It is not too difficult there, just make sure to tell them what you can't have. Some other places are not too difficult to eat Paleo, but at others it is pretty much impossible, like chinese restaurants.

I think that exercise and sunlight are very important, I get quite a bit of exercise, but definitely could spend more time outdoors.

O.K. I am doing my update a little early this week, supposed to be tomorrow, but I am not totally sure I will have time to update, and it is close enough. So as of right now, I have one active pimple on my cheek and one on my forehead, the one on my cheek is medium sized and the one on my forehead is a little smaller. I started taking Omega 3 pills today to balance my Omega3 compared to Omega 6 intake.

Also, even though I have seen quite a bit of improvement, I am considering taking eggs out of my diet, because I have read some interesting things about eggs and lectins. Right now I eat quite a bit of eggs and it would definitely mean more time cooking if I avoided eggs, so I will have to wait and see with that.

Overall this week, no huge improvements in skin but it still seems to be improving because I don't think I have seen one new clogged pore yet.

Hi guys,

How many of you out there are actually following this diet 100%? I'm currently thinking about changing a few things in my diet, not drastically dropping whole groups - just reducing/balancing my intake of various sources. I would imagine that it's pretty difficult to follow this strict diet, especially if you ever eat out anywhere. I just wondered how you were combining this with modern living. Do you include plenty of fresh air (i say fresh), sun and exercise? And have you tried other diets and removing food groups before trying this?

Dave

I hardly follow the "paleo" diet, but I do eat low-carb. Mostly I eat eggs, veggies, meat/fish, fruit, dairy products, and nuts. I don't avoid salt or vinegar. Occasionally I cheat and eat some bread or potatoes - maybe one meal a week. As long as I hop right back on the diet after cheating, I get away with it. Also, if I'm doing a lot of physical exercise, I get away with eating more carbs.

I eliminated sugar and gluten with some success, but it wasn't until I quit eating all grains that I really cleared up. That was last July.

cjb, about how long did it take you to get clear after avoiding grains, I am feeling pretty good about my skin improving, but it would be nice to get some kind of a time-frame of when my skin will be as clear as it will get.

Hi guys,

Dave

I followed this about 90-95% for a month and half. Absolutely no grains except I cheated with a burrito for one meal and I pretty much passed out afterwards I was so tired! I did cheat with sea salt though on my beef, I really don't think salt makes a difference for me. Also, I cheated with stir-fry sauces about 3 or 4 times, other than that I was hardcore. Eating out was not an option (that's when I had the burrito). I did not see a difference with my skin but I had just stopped taking antibiotics and was fooling around with different topicals.

For the past month, I've now allowed myself legumes and peanuts and granola (if mixed w/ fat and peanut butter which I have too often) and got a little sloppy with sauces containing sugar. My skin is improving now and I'm thinking I'm going to step it up and go hardcore again now that I've found a topical I like and I think I'm recovered from the antibiotics.

cjb, about how long did it take you to get clear after avoiding grains, I am feeling pretty good about my skin improving, but it would be nice to get some kind of a time-frame of when my skin will be as clear as it will get.

I think this is extremely variable, depending on the individual. Once I eliminated grains, I simply stopped getting inflamed pimples. It took several months for most of the clogged pores to go away. A few small clogged pores still come and go, but not many, and they never get inflamed. This may be due to the occasional cheating

I made chicken tonight!

It came out good too. I bought the greenwise organic from my grocery store. Thin chicken breasts (only $2.18) I made the 3 pieces by putting some garlic seasoning (no salt). Next time maybe I'll marinate it and then bake it, I dunno but yayy I can cook haha!

It is nice to hear that you are starting to cook. If you are looking for organic food, which is usually what I buy, at Whole Foods everyday they have specials on chicken that has no antibiotics or hormones, and usually comes in decent size packages. For example, yesterday I bought 6 drumsticks for 2.39, and they tasted good too. Also, if you have farmer's markets near where you live, you can often times buy very good and usually pretty cheap organic food there, and you can feel good giving your money to local growers and farmers instead of big corporations that don't really care about their food and are more interested in money.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the hormone-free, antibiotic-free all vegetarian diet chickens just taste better with a better texture? I have yet to cook rubbery chicken (and even on the George Foreman!) since switching to these. I'd like to think maybe I'm a better cook now but it seems like too much of a coincidence that after years of cooking chicken all of the sudden the texture always comes out perfect. I dunno, maybe its in my head...

I also noticed that the hormone-free antibiotic-free chicken does taste much better. I don't know if you ever have tried chicken straight from a completely organic farm, that tries not to completely grain feed their chicken, and actually lets them out to live in the grass, but those chickens are by far the best. After trying some, I read that they are much better for you too. To me it seems that chicken that is raised closer to it's natural environment seems to taste better.

Some things that are on the label of the chicken are actually pretty meaningless, and under current USDA regulations, are not exactly what you would think they would mean.

For Example, "free range" chickens or eggs only mean that the chicken has to have access to the outdoors, but most of the time the chickens are kept inside until they are around 2 months old, and the farmer can open a small door, but most of the time the chickens are afraid to go outdoors, because they have never been there, and even then the "range" could be a 6x6 foot enclosure. And even though the chickens do not really have a free range, the still can be labeled under "free range" under the USDA regulations. And chicken that says "all vegetarian diet" could just be fed corn it's whole life and still be considered "all vegetarian", and by the way, chickens that are fed only corn do not get anywhere near all of the nutrients they need.

Your best option for getting really good meat is either farmers markets or just straight from a farmer that raises their animals as close to the natural way as possible.

I know that that is not feasible year-round, or even that convenient a lot of the time, and I don't even eat organic food all of the time, but if you want food that tastes better and is better for you, the labels don't always mean that much.

----UPDATE------

So today my skin looks a little bit better than it did last week.

I have inflamed pimple on my chin, and one on my forehead. I also tried to remove a blackhead near my nose yesterday, and it is getting inflamed now, not too awesome.

I started taking Cod Liver Oil last Friday for the Vitamin D and Omega 3's. I also started taking Primal Defense (probiotic) last sunday to improve my intestinal flora.

I have now made it 7 weeks on the Paleo Diet without really cheating, I have had salt on a meal about once a week and that is it.

Overall, I still think my skin has improved a lot, but there are still clogged pores to come out and I don't want to use any topicals to rush them out (salicylic acid or anything).

----UPDATE------

So today my skin looks a little bit better than it did last week.

I have inflamed pimple on my chin, and one on my forehead. I also tried to remove a blackhead near my nose yesterday, and it is getting inflamed now, not too awesome.

I started taking Cod Liver Oil last Friday for the Vitamin D and Omega 3's. I also started taking Primal Defense (probiotic) last sunday to improve my intestinal flora.

I have now made it 7 weeks on the Paleo Diet without really cheating, I have had salt on a meal about once a week and that is it.

Overall, I still think my skin has improved a lot, but there are still clogged pores to come out and I don't want to use any topicals to rush them out (salicylic acid or anything).

why are you avoiding salt?

thats pure torture.