Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oceanmist

Should fruits be eaten alone?

Should fruits be indeed... eaten alone? I've heard debates about food combining... some say then should be eaten on an empty stomach alone... others say it doesn't matter. Then again, some say you should include a little protein with every meal to stay full longer and avoid an insulin spike...

I don't know if it really matters. Right now.. I eat fruits when I want to.

It is said that they should be eaten on an empty stomach and after eating them wait 30 minutes before eating something else.

But If your not having any digestive issues then your fine :angel:

the more i read about the eating timing advice the more is seems confusing and contradictory

such as

- don't drink soon before or after a meal

- but you should be drinking often anyways !?

- and ideally a person should be having several small meals throughout the day !?

or

- don't mix this with that

- or don't mix this with that

- but you need to be eating all of these various foods !?

can any of this advice apply to people with you know a life/job ?

I had always read to eat fruits alone and never with veggies, but now I do just the opposite! Dr. Joel Fuhrman says it's okay to combine them, but if you are experiencing digestive issues, then you might try eating them seperately. I find fruit can be enjoyed SO much more when not restricted, and other foods can as well, as fruit is a great way to add flavor to veggies, grains, etc. Keep eating and enjoying your fruit! haha :)

whoa that new to me...

i never thought about what i eat with my fruits...

i eat it with a meal sometimes

I think fruit is O.K. to eat whenever you want. Like somebody said before, if you want to minimize insulin production, then eat with fat or protein or both. But, most fruits have such a low Glycemic Load that it won't matter when you eat them, because their affect on insulin is not that much anyway.

I think that the food combining stuff, is pretty worthless. And the same with not drinking anything while eating. I have read all of that stuff, and really don't think that it is worth anything. Plus, none of it is backed up by any scientific data. If you really are trying to control your acne through diet, then consider the Paleo diet or something similar.

I think fruit is O.K. to eat whenever you want. Like somebody said before, if you want to minimize insulin production, then eat with fat or protein or both. But, most fruits have such a low Glycemic Load that it won't matter when you eat them, because their affect on insulin is not that much anyway.

I think that the food combining stuff, is pretty worthless. And the same with not drinking anything while eating. I have read all of that stuff, and really don't think that it is worth anything. Plus, none of it is backed up by any scientific data. If you really are trying to control your acne through diet, then consider the Paleo diet or something similar.

I think it has something to do with that fruits should pass straight from the stomach to the intestines because the stomach doesn't break them down if at all. Hence, if you eat fruit with other foods or even worse after other foods, it will just sit in the stomach were it can basically ferment and go bad/toxic (think about how hot your body temp is). I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate but I thought that's the gist of the theory from what I remember.

I think it has something to do with that fruits should pass straight from the stomach to the intestines because the stomach doesn't break them down if at all. Hence, if you eat fruit with other foods or even worse after other foods, it will just sit in the stomach were it can basically ferment and go bad/toxic (think about how hot your body temp is). I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate but I thought that's the gist of the theory from what I remember.

I have heard that and really that is just plain not true. Ask a doctor or nutritionist, they will most definitely say that is not true. I am not going to explain it in detail, I feel like I am wasting time trying to disprove something so dumb. But, I will tell you that fruit sitting in the sun does not go bad in a matter of minutes to hours. So body temp, fermentation does not hold up. Plus, digestive bacteria and yeast can't survive in your stomach, so there can be no fermentation going on.

I understand that many people on this site are desperate for something to help their acne, but everybody has to look at how realistic some of these supposed treatments are. Their could be truth in the food combining theory, if you have some digestive problem, like gall bladder problems or removed gall bladder, or some other medical condition, but I can not believe that food combining or some of these other treatments really make any difference in a normal person.