Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
routhman

I'm doing a simple experiment/study- anyone who's been on Accutane come here

Ok. I just began Tane and I've learned a lot about how it works. One of the most interesting aspects is the cumulative dose, which can determine whether or not your acne comes back. What I'm wondering is whether there is a connection between the severity of your acne and cumulative dose between the time it takes for you to clear up on Tane. So what I'd like to know is three things:

Your Weight:

Your acne's severity:

Your Daily dose (until you were clear of active acne):

How long (days) until you were clear of active acne:

For your dose, include any changes in your dosage between doctor appointments.

What I'm going to do with this information is figure out if there is a way to get a ballpark estimate of how long it will take a person to clear up depending on the severity of their acne and their dose of Tane. I can't contribute to this simple study because I have only just started Tane and I'm no where near being clear yet.

Your Weight: 104 pounds

Your acne's severity: mild

Your Daily dose (until you were clear of active acne): 40mg

How long (days) until you were clear of active acne: 1 month max, but get one once in a while.

Your Weight: 62kg

Your acne's severity: Mild

Your Daily dose (until you were clear of active acne): 40/60mg (repeat)

How long (days) until you were clear of active acne: Im on Day 37, not really clear so i might have to come back and edit this post when im 100% sure im clear.

Your Weight: 110 pounds

Your acne's severity: moderate

Your Daily dose (until you were clear of active acne): 60mg

How long (days) until you were clear of active acne: 5 months. >:/ I'm terribly unlucky like that.

Your Weight: 120 lbs

Your acne's severity: mild to moderate

Your Daily dose (until you were clear of active acne): 40 mg (entire course)

How long (days) until you were clear of active acne: Completely clear by the 12th week.

I'm over 2 months post, and I am still completely clear. :dance:

Your Weight: 187 (196 when I started, but I'm trying to lose weight)

Your acne's severity: mild

Your Daily dose (until you were clear of active acne): 40mg, then 80mg

How long (days) until you were clear of active acne: about 6 weeks until I really noticed a difference, still slightly active

Alright...with the information presented, I'm going to see if there's a connection to the cumulative dose and roughly the time it took for your acne to clear. If anyone else would like to contribute their information, it is still welcome as it will only add to the accuracy of this experiment...

Alright, Freedom I couldn't figure yours out because I don't know what you meant by repeat.

But, for the rest of you, I figured out what percentage of your cumulative dose you had taken before you cleared up.

Mild cases:

Tan44- mild, 17%-21%

TheSherminator- mild, 18%-23%

Mild to moderate case:

ScoobyDoo- Mild-Moderate, 44%-55%

Moderate case:

Rasberryheaven- moderate, 120%-150%

As you can see, as the acne's severity increased, so did the individual time it took for the person to clear up. I would really encourage anyone who sees this thread to contribute their information so that I can figure out a more accurate what-to-expect for others on Tane. Even after these few cases, it seems that there is a consistency to the acne clearing up and the cumulative dose. Of course, there may be inconsistencies which is why I need as many people as possible to contribute to this thread for it to work.

40mg first month 60mg 2nd month

on week 7...haven't cleared at all, much worse

mild/moderate to being. more moderate now.

40mg first month 60mg 2nd month

on week 7...haven't cleared at all, much worse

mild/moderate to being. more moderate now.

Your Weight: 180 pounds

Your acne's severity: mild: 15 (+-5) whiteheads on face at any one time. a few on back/chest. sebaceous filaments all over face. blackheads on nose.

Your Daily dose (until you were clear of active acne): 30 (1st month), 80 (2nd month), 120 (into 3rd then had to stop from rash), two month break, (80 mg for two weeks but stopped from rash), have 10,000+ mg stockpiled now.

How long (days) until you were clear of active acne: new acne stopped after ten days to two weeks. acne that was there dried up and went away by a month, a few redmarks turned hard and took maybe 3-4 months or longer to completely go away. i get tiny pinprick whiteheads now and then if i don't wash.

cumulative dose has been linked to length and extent of remission in several clinical studies. you have to realize though that those studies where done on people with moderate to severe cystic acne. the number they came up with is 1-2 mg per kg of weight per day. there are only a few studies on microdosing isotretinoin for patients with mild to moderate acne, but those studies found doses as low as 0.2 - 0.4 mg per kg per day to be effective.

there is a small increase in remission rate when the length of therapy is 16-20 weeks verse 12-16.

please don't go by a formula or other peoples numbers. you need to start tane slowly and increase the dose slowly and proportionately. the side effects are NOT worth coercing your derm into giving you a high dose. im sure you hate acne and feel like sebum has no function in healthy skin. but trust me it does. you do not want accutane rash, skin fragility, pruritus, stretch marks, peeling palms and soles, etc.

remember every medication has side effects. the goal of this treatment is to use the smallest amount of the drug that will get you clear

135lbs

Moderate acne

3 months until clear

6.5 months total.

60mg/day, 40/80 on alternate days for the entire course.

routhman, it's very strange, but I wanted to start a similar thread, and perhaps input the data into a version space or neural net algorithm to get some probabilities. Alot of scientists conduct experiments in the same way, but obviously they need their test subjects to be present during testing, while here on the messageboards it's alot simpler and cheaper to get the same information from potentially alot more people.

However, the database you're starting is lacking. It doesn't take into consideration other, possibly important factors.

For example, the things I would include: Sex, daily exposure to sun, diet, age, how many courses of accutane have you had, skin type, country of origin...

Mind if I start a similar thread with a slightly different questionaire?

routhman, it's very strange, but I wanted to start a similar thread, and perhaps input the data into a version space or neural net algorithm to get some probabilities. Alot of scientists conduct experiments in the same way, but obviously they need their test subjects to be present during testing, while here on the messageboards it's alot simpler and cheaper to get the same information from potentially alot more people.

However, the database you're starting is lacking. It doesn't take into consideration other, possibly important factors.

For example, the things I would include: Sex, daily exposure to sun, diet, age, how many courses of accutane have you had, skin type, country of origin...

Mind if I start a similar thread with a slightly different questionaire?

Your Weight: 180 pounds

Your acne's severity: mild: 15 (+-5) whiteheads on face at any one time. a few on back/chest. sebaceous filaments all over face. blackheads on nose.

Your Daily dose (until you were clear of active acne): 30 (1st month), 80 (2nd month), 120 (into 3rd then had to stop from rash), two month break, (80 mg for two weeks but stopped from rash), have 10,000+ mg stockpiled now.

How long (days) until you were clear of active acne: new acne stopped after ten days to two weeks. acne that was there dried up and went away by a month, a few redmarks turned hard and took maybe 3-4 months or longer to completely go away. i get tiny pinprick whiteheads now and then if i don't wash.

cumulative dose has been linked to length and extent of remission in several clinical studies. you have to realize though that those studies where done on people with moderate to severe cystic acne. the number they came up with is 1-2 mg per kg of weight per day. there are only a few studies on microdosing isotretinoin for patients with mild to moderate acne, but those studies found doses as low as 0.2 - 0.4 mg per kg per day to be effective.

there is a small increase in remission rate when the length of therapy is 16-20 weeks verse 12-16.

please don't go by a formula or other peoples numbers. you need to start tane slowly and increase the dose slowly and proportionately. the side effects are NOT worth coercing your derm into giving you a high dose. im sure you hate acne and feel like sebum has no function in healthy skin. but trust me it does. you do not want accutane rash, skin fragility, pruritus, stretch marks, peeling palms and soles, etc.

remember every medication has side effects. the goal of this treatment is to use the smallest amount of the drug that will get you clear

Mild cases:

TheyCanBeCured- mild, 7.3%-9.2%

Tan44- mild, 17%-21%

TheSherminator- mild, 18%-23%

Moderate cases:

ScoobyDoo- Mild-Moderate, 44%-55%

Jordan19- moderate, 60%-75%

Rasberryheaven- moderate, 120%-150%

There is definitely a correlation between the cumulative dose and clearing up. As you can see, there is a huge gap between people with mild acne and people with moderate acne in terms of amt. of Tane consumed before clearing.

You consumed 60%-75% of your cumulative dose before you were clear of moderate acne.

You consumed 60%-75% of your cumulative dose before you were clear of moderate acne.

are you sure, i was on it for 26 weeks, so 3 months was less than half my course. but i did go over the 150mg/kg, i figured out i took about 183mg/kg.

oh ok, i was thinking that my cumulative dose was about 180mg/kg. that was probably closer to the total cumulative dose i took by the end of my course.

oh ok, i was thinking that my cumulative dose was about 180mg/kg. that was probably closer to the total cumulative dose i took by the end of my course.

Freedom2006, what'd you mean by (repeat)?

Hahaha (repeat) as in 40mg one day and 60mg the next, repeat the routine over until i finish the course. do mine do mine hehehe.