Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lainey321

Hair color...why must people guess???

After I started noticing grey in my temples and decided that was it. I first started with the more expensive color from Wal-Mart but hated the red cast, finally went with cheap stuff (ash color) and I love it (actually back to my original 20's haircolor). When I went from the reddish to the color I am now a couple of people commented that my hair looked lighter or when did I lighten my hair.

Anyway, my dh was getting alot of gray hair. I told him neither of us going to grow old without a fight :D I bought him some Just for Men and people kept commenting his hair looked "darker" so I bought him a color of my brand and now everyone is commenting how light his hair looks. He has had several people ask him if he is coloring his hair (he neither confirms or denies, technically I am doing it) :lol: But it is ridiculous. It is not like I am taking him from black to blonde just staying in the same color just to remove the gray. The only problem is his natural hair has so many colors, it is dark brown in the back and a reddish-brown on the top with gold highlights so if you match the top the back looks lighter and if you match the back it all looks too dark.

Is there any "relatively simple" way to get a better blend on his hair??

Also, are people contantly commenting on your hair color, like their freakin Sherlock Holmes or something???

In defense of other people, they feel like maybe they should comment on a "new" look to show they noticed it. I get a few comments every time I change my hair color, and it's always a slight change as I always stay in the medium to light brown range. Usually people say positive things though. Don't feel embarrassed about coloring your hair; so many women do it.

I think it is a little rude to ask a man though, cuz most guys don't want it to be known they dye their hair, & you'd think other people would get that.

As for your husband's hair, if you want to just take gray out & not lighten it, get a semi-permanent hair color from a beauty supply, which can cover & gray & deposit color, not lift color (lighten). If you choose a similar shade to his natural color then you can blend the gray in without drastically changing his hair color.

When you use permanent hair dye, it lifts some of the natural pigment out & then deposits the new color. With brunettes, that means every time you wash your hair it will get slightly lighter. So a month after you dye your hair it will be a bit lighter than what you got originally. Semi-permanent doesn't lift, which means when the color fades out your natural color is still intact beneath it. That's ideal for a man who just wants to cover & blend grays, IMO.

I think Just For Men is a semi-permanent (not sure), but they don't offer a lot of color choices. If you get a pro color there will be more selection so you don't just get one shade of brown that's too dark. Your hair color is probably permanent, & so it's probably lifting his hair color & lightening it.

Hope that helps. I am not any kind of hair dresser either, I just colored my own hair for many years.

ah, makes sense. The Just for Men is super easy..only 5 minutes but it seemed it wasn't covering the gray in his temples. I may buy the beard/mustache kind for that.

One more question then....can I put the semi-permanent over the permanent??

ah, makes sense. The Just for Men is super easy..only 5 minutes but it seemed it wasn't covering the gray in his temples. I may buy the beard/mustache kind for that.

One more question then....can I put the semi-permanent over the permanent??

yeah, but since his hair has already been lifted it will probably fade still. As it grows out & you color the new hair it shouldn't get lighter. This is just my experience; again, I am not a professional.