Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Im really confused if my acne is hormonal or not. I used to only get a pimple or two a week or so before my period...i know that was hormonal. Well anyway I went on birth control and it made my face go crazy. I had only ever experienced pimples on my chin or forehead but on the birth control I began getting them on my cheeks. The pimples were also different from kinds I had gotten before. These were under the skin, hard, hurt like heck, didnt have a head, and lasted for a long time, leaving a scar or mark. Since the birth control I get these breakouts all the time, not just around my period. My question is, is this hormonal acne if it is all the time and is not on my jawline or chin like most hormonal acne?

The reason I'm trying to figure out if its hormonal or not is so I can decide what plan of action to take:

-Spiro or Accutane

I've heard some people say if your acne is hormonal accutane wont work but isn't the cause of most teen male acne the rise in testerone they experience at that time in their lives...thus making it a hormonal cause? So why wouldn't it work for me?

Any info/opinions would be great!

Thanks

I forgot the name of it, but I found out from my new Gyno that it is known to be higher in andrgogen properties. My new Gyno has me now taking Yaz which seems to be helping some.

Hi Im really confused if my acne is hormonal or not. I used to only get a pimple or two a week or so before my period...i know that was hormonal. Well anyway I went on birth control and it made my face go crazy. I had only ever experienced pimples on my chin or forehead but on the birth control I began getting them on my cheeks. The pimples were also different from kinds I had gotten before. These were under the skin, hard, hurt like heck, didnt have a head, and lasted for a long time, leaving a scar or mark. Since the birth control I get these breakouts all the time, not just around my period. My question is, is this hormonal acne if it is all the time and is not on my jawline or chin like most hormonal acne?

The reason I'm trying to figure out if its hormonal or not is so I can decide what plan of action to take:

-Spiro or Accutane

I've heard some people say if your acne is hormonal accutane wont work but isn't the cause of most teen male acne the rise in testerone they experience at that time in their lives...thus making it a hormonal cause? So why wouldn't it work for me?

Any info/opinions would be great!

Thanks

Yeah I just am so confused about my situation because the cystic pimples are always on the sides of my cheeks, not jawline like other women. So hormonal or not?????

Sounds hormonal to me, some BCs actually worsen acne, you have to get specific ones. The reason hormonal acne won't stop from accutane is because accutane doesn't control your hormones, just completely dries out the oil, so yes it'll work for your course because the oil your hormones produce will be shot out by accutane but then once you get off accutane the hormones rage on.. that's what I've been told anyway :P

Thanks Tonga,

I'm probably going to try adding spiro to the Yaz BCP that I am on now. Yaz has actually been good so far but I'm still breaking out on my cheeks once in a while. With the Spiro I'm hoping I might stay CLEAR for once lol. After I'm clear maybe I can start working on my red marks and a few indented scars I have.

oh what I would give for my old skin :)

I forgot the name of it, but I found out from my new Gyno that it is known to be higher in andrgogen properties. My new Gyno has me now taking Yaz which seems to be helping some.

WOW I have your exact same problem and I hate these CYSTS grrr they hurt! I have one by my nose right now and nothing seems ot get them to go down for me not until I'm off my period....dont know whether to take accutane or ask my gyno about spiro?!