Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bateman

Accutane's Effectiveness on the back, shoulders, chest

Hi Everyone,

I'm on about day 25 or so taking 40mg two times a day for moderate acne, mainly on my chest, shoulders, and back. Some research I've read says that the accutane has done wonders on the face, but not so well on the back, chest, etc. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness in these areas?

I'm definitely feeling the effects of the medicine. Chapped lips, dry skin on my face and arms, especially the triceps area. My face is pretty clear, but I'm not really seeing much improvement on my shoulders or back yet. I'm going back to my derm next Monday and was wondering if I should ask her about bumping me to 60mg twice a day. This is something she said that we can consider after month one.

I know it's only month one, so Im very positive, just curious.

Hi Everyone,

I'm on about day 25 or so taking 40mg two times a day for moderate acne, mainly on my chest, shoulders, and back. Some research I've read says that the accutane has done wonders on the face, but not so well on the back, chest, etc. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness in these areas?

I'm definitely feeling the effects of the medicine. Chapped lips, dry skin on my face and arms, especially the triceps area. My face is pretty clear, but I'm not really seeing much improvement on my shoulders or back yet. I'm going back to my derm next Monday and was wondering if I should ask her about bumping me to 60mg twice a day. This is something she said that we can consider after month one.

I know it's only month one, so Im very positive, just curious.

Hey...Im on my second course of accutane........the first time I did it was when I was a teenager and at the time I had acne on my chest and back, cysts that were big and hurt and ssome acne on my face.....I took a course of accutane and it cleared me up 100% all over.....chest back and face it was wonderful.......Its 6 years later now and Im on it again, but this time because some acne came back on my face......my chest and back are still clear to this day. I heard before that actually for most people accutane permanently clears up the chest and back....its much less likely to come back in those areas then the face. My derm said it was very common for people to get it back on their face and not other areas so, I can say in my experience that has been true.....hope this helps

Hey Bateman

The reason why it does well on the face because it target the face area 1st before going to body acne... im sure it will do the same but it might take abit longer.

Man... how i wish i have body acne then face... because its easier to hide, but yeh acne is bad all together... i wish u all the best!!

Hey thanks for visiting my log Bateman.

Yeah, I just get worried because nothing major is happening, maybe it's just the fear that I will have acne forever... and I am also so astounded by the results people have been getting... I mean... just look at the pictures!

Glad someone else feels the same way I do. I see people are saying at "least you don't have it on your face" etc (I have facial acne, it sucks), however I don't think they are justified in saying that... you have just as hard as time to go through as anybody... if not harder.

Anyways cheers and have a wonderful day!

Thanks for the tips and ideas. It's so weird how your skin condition fluctuates from day to day on the Tane. Yesterday, I posted on Protein's log that I was so frustrated, no progress, etc. Today I wake up, get ready to shower before work, and notice a great deal of improvement on my shoulders. But, I've get a hell of a cyst on my forehead, which I never get!

Anyway, I guess that the moral of accutane is to be patient. Hell, I'm only in my sixth week of a 5 month cycle. I'll keep you posted, though I'm not dedicated enough to start a log of my own.

Finally, Freedom brings up a good point about tane targeting the face first and then the body. I actually thought about that a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if that was possible. I guess if people have been told that by derms, then it is possible.

The longer I'm on this stuff, the more I'm amazed - it targeting the face first, the success stories, and how freakin' dry it can make your skin!

Well, thanks again, and take my advice, just try to be patient. We'll all clear up, eventually.

i had really bad back acne and one thing that helped me that i tried before i did accutane was a Jessner Peel. I went to a local spa got one treatment and within 2 weeks not active acne just a few scars.... you should look into...

It's probably offered only at salons it's worth it

I'm about a month and a half into treatment and my back has already seen significant clearing. Since about week two of the treatment I've only gotten a couple cysts and those have healed much faster than normal. I used to get a one or two a day, so I'm pretty excited. Well, except for the fact that my bacne seems to have migrated to my face, which isn't fun.

i had really bad back acne and one thing that helped me that i tried before i did accutane was a Jessner Peel. I went to a local spa got one treatment and within 2 weeks not active acne just a few scars.... you should look into...

Thanks Meli, I'll look into it. There's a really good spa right down the street from my office.