Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SarahRP

How Many Months for Spironolactone to Work???

Hi Ladies! On average, when did your Spiro start working completely 100% Ive heard 3 months is the magic number. I am on my 8th week right now...

Hi Ladies, Can somebody answer this question, i am also dying to know the answer - when.... from reading through the posts, it seems to take ages - is this true? also are any of you planning to be come pregnant soon - if so, is there anything you can take instead of spiro which may clear up acne? (that is safe).

I would be greatful if you could give me any advice?

Tahnks

Dee

I've been on spiro for about 3 and 1/2 months now. I stopped breaking out with the usual monster zits at around 2 and 1/2 months so for the last month I have been pretty clear. Only thing is I added Retin-A 10 days ago so I'm breaking out a teensy bit. The Retin-A makes the clogged pores expel their contents so I can't say I'm perfectly clear. Right now I have two pimples but they are WAY smaller than the kind I used to get before spiro. My skin texture is much improved and I'm thrilled with the progress so far. I added Retin-A to improve skin tone and stimulate collagen production. I'm 32 so I'm starting to think about wrinkles! Anyway, I don't know if 3 months is the magic number for everyone but it's about when the pimples stopped for me. From reading other spiro users post it seems like anywhere from 3 months to 6 months is "magic" time!

For Dee in Melbourne...you bring up pregnancy. I think about this alot because I still have yet to start my family. It won't be for another couple of years but at some point I will have to come up with another strategy because spiro and Retin-A are both no-no's during pregnancy! A woman's hormones change during pregnancy so some women experience clearing whereas others break out like nobody's business. I guess we don't know until we get there. When the time comes, I think I might consult with a naturopathic doctor who can guide me through a baby friendly holistic route. I once went off sugar completely for 10 weeks and it cleared me up significantly. Sugar can wreak havoc on hormones and therefore on skin. It also doesn't do anything for your immune system, either, which may also play a role in acne. I think diet can make a significant impact in a lot of acne cases. Hope this helps!

Well from my personal experience. I started it in June for 3 weeks and I noted a difference in those 3 weeks, a lot less break outs, it was very nice..but then I got an allergic reaction and started getting rashes all over my body and had to stop taking it. Well I was determined to get back on it because I could tell it was working.....So I slowly increased the doasge on my own so my body would get used to it.

Anyway, I have been back on it for 1 1/2 months and I am still breaking out, but my pimples are much much smaller than before the med. But I am still frustrated. I hope the magic number is 3 months, if not sooner and it starts working all the way. But it definitely is working some!

Hi all,

Just to let you know, i have started to eventually notice a difference. My spots are a lot smaller, and i am not getting the big lumpy ones on my jawline anymore. Unfortunately, i am still getting some on my cheekbones, but hopefully it will clear up soon.

Dee

My dermo said to expect to wait about 3 months but I'm SIGNIFICANTLY clearer, except for some blackheads, and it's been seven weeks!!!

PS for those of you who are on SPiro and concerned about the pregnant years, I have to say that I have NEVER been so clear as I was while pregnant. It was great. I should've had more kids (just kidding.) Accutane worked for awhile for me but acne kept returning so this adventure with Aldactone is my latest step. And I'm almost 50 BTW.