Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadowless

How long does accutane stay in your system?

Well I have beeen on accutane for a month and a half, I got a terrible sinus infection and stopped on the 11th of this month. So that would make it a month and a half on the pills. I have been experincing the light headed, dizzinness, blurred vision, fatigue, sleepiness, no engery ect..side effects so I called my derm and will remain off the accutane until I atleast see my derm which isn't til next week. So by then I would have been off for two weeks.

My question is, how long does this stay in your system for? Does it still count if I am not taking the pills daily but it's still in my system? I'm seriously considering qutting as the blurred vision really has me worried. It's been a week and I still have all the side effects even though I am not taking the pills daily. So does the two weeks count? Because if they do then I will have been on for 2 months. I was thinking of perhaps lowering my dose and trying to last another two months at the least. I know I won't get any results only after 2 months, but maybe after 4 months i will.

Anyone have these issues or can offer advice?

I had most of those symptoms after i had been on for 19 weeks, i decided to stop because i had a pretty good cumulative dose anyway and the risks of me continueing was not worth it any more. The two weeks won't count as your not adding on to your cumulative dose, but it is still in your system and if you re start you can carry on as normal but at a lower dose, which will enable you to hit a decent cumulative dose, over a longer period of time... i would say wait until the blurred vision goes (went within 7-10 days for me) and then re start at a much lower dose and take it slowly...

Good luck

Since your so early in to the course, it shouldn't make a difference. However, it will delay your treatment by at least a month. I experienced these side effects, too. But remember they are only transient, and the results were worth it for me. Unless they are really severe, than I would suggest you speak to your doctor and decide whether or not you should continue. Accutane can remain in your system for up to months after a full treatment, but in your case it may only remain a couple of weeks. Yes, it counts, because Accutane is still being effective. Talk to your derm about the side effects he may lower your dose if you decide to continue. What is your dosage now?

Since your so early in to the course, it shouldn't make a difference. However, it will delay your treatment by at least a month. I experienced these side effects, too. But remember they are only transient, and the results were worth it for me. Unless they are really severe, than I would suggest you speak to your doctor and decide whether or not you should continue. Accutane can remain in your system for up to months after a full treatment, but in your case it may only remain a couple of weeks. Yes, it counts, because Accutane is still being effective. Talk to your derm about the side effects he may lower your dose if you decide to continue. What is your dosage now?

What does transient mean?

My first month was 40 a day. Then I started the 2nd month 40 then 80 then 40 back to back. But at the time I was pretty sick, I'm still sick but not that bad. I had some sort of sinus infection and my nose was infected and swollen, sore throat, runny nose ect. I was given anti botics. I took the anti botices with the accutane since my doctor said it would be fine. Well I told my derm and a day before I stopped the antibotices I stopped the accutane. The past two is really when I noticed the fatigue, so tired to even walk across the street for food. Always sleepy, want to just sleep all day, then the blurred vision which is worse at work where I sit at a computer all day.

I really do want to finish, I mean i know the results i want are just 2-3 months away. But I just don't want no long term effects especially with my vision. I go back to see my derm next thursday so about a week. I'm thinking of asking if I should just do 40 every other day or something.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah I don't know what my doctor was thinking, luckily I was on them for a week, I stopped taking them almost a week ago. My first month was fine, I had the dry nose, lips, face, lack of sleep, head aches ect...but now with the fatigue and vision problems plus the fact I work on a computer all day which obviously makes it worse I just don't know. Like If I knew the side effects would get better or slowly better and wouldn't remain with me forever then It would be easier. I guess I can wait and see, I know next month should be better when I am only working 8 hr shifts, working 12 hr shifts adds to the headaches and being tired for sure.

Do you think 20 a day would be to low for me? I weight 130-135.

What does transient mean?

My first month was 40 a day. Then I started the 2nd month 40 then 80 then 40 back to back. But at the time I was pretty sick, I'm still sick but not that bad. I had some sort of sinus infection and my nose was infected and swollen, sore throat, runny nose ect. I was given anti botics. I took the anti botices with the accutane since my doctor said it would be fine. Well I told my derm and a day before I stopped the antibotices I stopped the accutane. The past two is really when I noticed the fatigue, so tired to even walk across the street for food. Always sleepy, want to just sleep all day, then the blurred vision which is worse at work where I sit at a computer all day.

I really do want to finish, I mean i know the results i want are just 2-3 months away. But I just don't want no long term effects especially with my vision. I go back to see my derm next thursday so about a week. I'm thinking of asking if I should just do 40 every other day or something.

Transient means that it is temporary. Hmm, 40 is the lowest dose you can get next to 20. Your doctor gave you antibiotics? You should not take antibiotics with Accutane, it can increase pressure on the brain. Not to worry you, but I would stop taking them if you are still doing so, and tell your doctor that he is an moron. He should know better. I experienced the vision problems, and they are aggravating, but it is usually only temporary and resided by the 3rd month. I don't know what to advise you to do, because only you know what you can endure. But from my experience it was not that bad. You prob. just feeling bad because of you illness. Maybe give yourself time to get better, and continue the treatment.

Goodluck.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah I don't know what my doctor was thinking, luckily I was on them for a week, I stopped taking them almost a week ago. My first month was fine, I had the dry nose, lips, face, lack of sleep, head aches ect...but now with the fatigue and vision problems plus the fact I work on a computer all day which obviously makes it worse I just don't know. Like If I knew the side effects would get better or slowly better and wouldn't remain with me forever then It would be easier. I guess I can wait and see, I know next month should be better when I am only working 8 hr shifts, working 12 hr shifts adds to the headaches and being tired for sure.

Interesting, I called my derm and left a message about what supplements I could take that would help with the accutane side effects and which ones to avoids. Well I got a message (i'm at work) from the derm nurse. She pretty much said she doesn't know and to ask the pharmacy. She said that all she knows is not to take anti botics. You would think they would know more about what to take and what not to take.

Right now I just started taking the Omega 3 Fatty Acids and B-12. I have also been thinking about taking Zinc and Vitamin E

Oh, I am also taking ENTEX AND FLONASE, that should be fine I think.

Your blurred vision will return to normal do not worry about that, it is blurred because the pressure from your brain pushes slightly on the back of the eyes. As accutane leaves your body it WILL return to normal. Don't worry, but i had the same problem as you, try and leave your computer alone and get plenty of sleep!!!

Oh and the clindamycin was fine, it's a member of the penacilin family, so it won't of contributed to these problems...

Thank you, I have been wearing regular glasses, I can see close but not far so I figured the glasses wouldn't hurt. Also has anyone noticed a rash around there privates? Or itching? Also how would I beable to tell if my eyes are dry? I notice I get 'bags' under my eyes but can't tell if that's from dry eyes or lack of sleep. I use eye drops about 3 times a day. The artifical tears.