Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leopolda

sunken and raised scars--should I encourage collagen?

Posted

Hello, everyone. As I am healing after my two forehead excisions from about 3 weeks ago, I realize that I am confused as to whether or not to encourage collagen growth. 1 scar tends to stretch a bit and sink into an indented scar, the other tends to stay red, and become thick, hard, and lumpy (I assume a hypertrophoc scar). So when it comes to doing things to encourage collagen growth, I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I want the one scar to stay strong not to sink in (which would mean encouraging more collagen growth), but on the other hand, I don't want to stimulate more collagen in the already hardening, lumpy other scar. So, for example, when I think about taking Vit C., Zinc, even MSM or Glucosamine, all of which, I think, help build collagen, I hesitate because it feels as if I'm pulled in 2 different directions. Does this make sense. I guess my inclination would be to take those things, help strenghten the collagen & fibrolasts, and then, if need be, have cortisone injected into the other scar to soften it out. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? BTW, since silicone pads are primarily for hypertrophic scars, do you think

it would weaken an incision scar that tends to sink? I think they really help for discoloration and to soften the edges and they seem to have a temporary plumping effect, but if I'm weakening the scar and putting it in jeapordy of indenting down the line, i wouldn't do it...Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

--leo

Posted

I would definately take the vitamins that encourage stimulation of collagen, and promote wound healing(C, A, ALA,Zinc, MSM, etc.) I understand your ambivalence due to the two different kinds of scarring; I feel the same way at times, but have decided to take the supplements.

I believe you answered your own question in your post when you said " I could always get cortisone shots later." I agree, and I just think it's a good idea to take the supplements while you're healing.

You may want to use spenco gel on them too smile.gif

Good Luck!!

Posted

Do you have any copper peptides? I only gets sunken scars, so I try my best to build collagen, but if I were in your position, I'd put them on both scars because they're supposed to encourage normal healing, but I don't really know. You could call Dr. Pickart from skinbiology to see if he thinks its a good idea. I think he is trustworthy enough to tell people if his product might work for them.