Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
routhman

Green Tea and Accutane

I've seen the great results that guy had with the Green Tea pills and was wondering if I could take those while on Accutane? Or is there something I don't know that could make it harmful?

"That guy" and "the green tea pills" don't really give enough information. There are tons of fad products out there; are you talking about green tea pills that are supposed to clear up your skin or green tea pills which are aimed at encouraging weight loss? Either way, green tea itself is safe to take while on Accutane--in fact, it's a great way to get minerals, hydration, and antioxidants. As for pills, if you tossed me a list of the active and inactive ingredients, I think both I and many other people on here with medical backgrounds would be able to give you a better answer, but keep in mind that most fad products don't work--or work moderately only so long as you continue to take them!

^some of them can make birth control less effective, green tea is fine of course, it's just tea.

My derm told me no herbal supplements while on Tane, is he way off or what?

Avoid any supplement containing St John's Wort (an anti-depressant) in any quantity in it; that's the only thing that'll mess with the estradiol in birth control pills. If you're not on birth control pills or you're taking anything that doesn't have St John's Wort in it, you're all set. :) Just avoid that and anything with Vitamin A.

I've seen the great results that guy had with the Green Tea pills and was wondering if I could take those while on Accutane? Or is there something I don't know that could make it harmful?

"That guy" and "the green tea pills" don't really give enough information. There are tons of fad products out there; are you talking about green tea pills that are supposed to clear up your skin or green tea pills which are aimed at encouraging weight loss? Either way, green tea itself is safe to take while on Accutane--in fact, it's a great way to get minerals, hydration, and antioxidants. As for pills, if you tossed me a list of the active and inactive ingredients, I think both I and many other people on here with medical backgrounds would be able to give you a better answer, but keep in mind that most fad products don't work--or work moderately only so long as you continue to take them!

My derm told me no herbal supplements while on Tane, is he way off or what?

Avoid any supplement containing St John's Wort (an anti-depressant) in any quantity in it; that's the only thing that'll mess with the estradiol in birth control pills. If you're not on birth control pills or you're taking anything that doesn't have St John's Wort in it, you're all set. :) Just avoid that and anything with Vitamin A.

actually, the extracts have as much antioxidants as 10 cups of green tea. and no caffeine.

I know, but the IB freaks the hell outta me.

I was referring to the acne aspect to help the Tane along (and, besides, Green Tea promotes healthy skin in general or so I hear).

That still doesn't tell me which actual product it is, and the ingredients vary in all of them. But I'd say your best bet is to get the benefits direct from some actual green tea, something high-quality like a fresh loose-leaf Japanese or Chinese green--the less processing it undergoes, the better the antioxidants are. I highly recommend sencha (tastes a bit grassy), houjicha (sort of smoky), or Ti Kuan Yin oolong (crisp and mellow). I always keep a big pot around--hot when it's cold out, and iced when it's hot.

ive been taking the green tea extract for the last month. ANd ive been on accutane for almost three weeks now. ive been having bad breakouts on neck and around my mouth but it seems to be calming down now and healing....... hopfully the worste is over now.