Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i'm thinking of trying this. but, i'm thinking of trying water therapy too. do you guys think it's okay for me to drink 1.5 litres of water first thing in the morning and then doing the oil pulling? when they say 'on an empty stomach' does that mean empty of food or empty of anything?

I came across the idea of oil pulling the other day on a different site when I was researching a different health topic other than skin conditions. I must have read about it for 3 hours after that, on many different sites. One place where a lot of people have recounted their experiences with oil pulling is: earthclinic dot com. I had never heard of that site before a few days ago, and it's poorly organized, but once you delve into it there is really a lot of good practical advice that people are giving each other about health.

"Oil pulling" (also called oil swishing) is based on the ancient Indian medical system of ayurveda. It's been used for thousands of years.

There is a lot of wisdom in some ayurvedic practices. About 7 years ago I learned of "nasal cleansing" or "nasal douching", called jala neti in Hindi, which is another ancient ayurvedic practice, and doing that every day for 6 months completely healed me of 25 years of severe air-born allergies (I was to the point where I'd grown immune to all prescription medicines, and taking double doses of it for 6 months every year, just to have some relief). I haven't done the nasal cleansing at all in the last 4 years, but in that time I've only had allergy symptoms for 3 days total, instead of the hundreds and hundreds of miserable days I would have had in a 4-year span if I hadn't tried the nasal cleansing practice. So I am very willing to give an ayurvedic practice a chance (except for pulling a the string through the nose and down the throat thing, and the bloodletting...) :-)

Although I don't have allergies (at least to pollen, dust, etc.) anymore, I still have nasal congestion, ear congestion, etc., and my tongue has had a white coating for about the last 8 years that I just can't get rid of. My gums are also receeding and I could always do with better mouth health. So I decided to give oil pulling a try.

I've only done it two days now, but on the first day, a lot of pflegm came up after I did it (which is to be expected, as you are creating a vacuum in a way by keeping your mouth closed and swishing for so long), and I did honestly feel a little less hungry (apparently one of the side effects is to dampen the appetite) and I also experienced quite a lot of nasal drainage when I was sleeping that night. It wasn't bad, and I wouldn't want it every night of course, but if I can clear out my sinuses, that would be a plus. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but I also think I can taste food a bit more intensely than before. My tongue has about 1/4th of the coating that it normally has, but this also might be due to the hydrogen peroxide mouthwashing that I also started to do 2 days ago after I read about it as a way to kill the bacteria on the tongue.

I am using cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, and I am actually using just 1 teaspoon (my mouth isn't that big, and by the time I've swished 10 minutes, it's full of saliva plus the oil). It doesn't taste that bad at all, and I haven't gagged or anything. Just make sure to stand by a sink or trash can or have a little bowl with you, and you won't feel trapped with a bunch of oil in your mouth if you suddenly must get rid of it.

It's doing something - I can tell - who knows what the mechanism is. The ancients were often right about very simple but effective things, and I'm willing to give this a month's trial to see what it might do for me.

If you want to give it a shot, I would recommend reading several websites about this, and look at various people's instructions on how to do it, rather than just follow this thread, which is scanty on the nitty-gritty.

dont do it.

i wont say oil pulling caused my acne....but i will say it didn't help whatsoever.

i was 19 years old when i decided to try oil pulling for KP on arms and legs...

my face on my skin was basically clear, just naturally.

i had broken out in my high school years but i was at the age of "growing out of it"

around the time i began oil pulling, my skin erupted....there is the possibility that i was using sunless tanner at the same time, which may have jacked up my skin a bit...

anyways, the only benefits i got from oil pulling was smoother skin and whiter teeth.... i guess that is a good thing, however, i had almost a clear face, and i am now 21 and have had acne since i started oil pulling....

and someone said it can bring acne out.

i just wouldnt.

I came across the idea of oil pulling the other day on a different site when I was researching a different health topic other than skin conditions. I must have read about it for 3 hours after that, on many different sites. One place where a lot of people have recounted their experiences with oil pulling is: earthclinic dot com. I had never heard of that site before a few days ago, and it's poorly organized, but once you delve into it there is really a lot of good practical advice that people are giving each other about health.

"Oil pulling" (also called oil swishing) is based on the ancient Indian medical system of ayurveda. It's been used for thousands of years.

There is a lot of wisdom in some ayurvedic practices. About 7 years ago I learned of "nasal cleansing" or "nasal douching", called jala neti in Hindi, which is another ancient ayurvedic practice, and doing that every day for 6 months completely healed me of 25 years of severe air-born allergies (I was to the point where I'd grown immune to all prescription medicines, and taking double doses of it for 6 months every year, just to have some relief). I haven't done the nasal cleansing at all in the last 4 years, but in that time I've only had allergy symptoms for 3 days total, instead of the hundreds and hundreds of miserable days I would have had in a 4-year span if I hadn't tried the nasal cleansing practice. So I am very willing to give an ayurvedic practice a chance (except for pulling a the string through the nose and down the throat thing, and the bloodletting...) :-)

Although I don't have allergies (at least to pollen, dust, etc.) anymore, I still have nasal congestion, ear congestion, etc., and my tongue has had a white coating for about the last 8 years that I just can't get rid of. My gums are also receeding and I could always do with better mouth health. So I decided to give oil pulling a try.

I've only done it two days now, but on the first day, a lot of pflegm came up after I did it (which is to be expected, as you are creating a vacuum in a way by keeping your mouth closed and swishing for so long), and I did honestly feel a little less hungry (apparently one of the side effects is to dampen the appetite) and I also experienced quite a lot of nasal drainage when I was sleeping that night. It wasn't bad, and I wouldn't want it every night of course, but if I can clear out my sinuses, that would be a plus. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but I also think I can taste food a bit more intensely than before. My tongue has about 1/4th of the coating that it normally has, but this also might be due to the hydrogen peroxide mouthwashing that I also started to do 2 days ago after I read about it as a way to kill the bacteria on the tongue.

I am using cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, and I am actually using just 1 teaspoon (my mouth isn't that big, and by the time I've swished 10 minutes, it's full of saliva plus the oil). It doesn't taste that bad at all, and I haven't gagged or anything. Just make sure to stand by a sink or trash can or have a little bowl with you, and you won't feel trapped with a bunch of oil in your mouth if you suddenly must get rid of it.

It's doing something - I can tell - who knows what the mechanism is. The ancients were often right about very simple but effective things, and I'm willing to give this a month's trial to see what it might do for me.

If you want to give it a shot, I would recommend reading several websites about this, and look at various people's instructions on how to do it, rather than just follow this thread, which is scanty on the nitty-gritty.

I do this once each morning with sesame oil for the last two months or so. Don't know if it does anything for my skin as I do a lot of other stuff but it does make your teeth whiter and seems to clear up morning mucus really well if you have issues with that so I'll continue doing it.

I've been swishing oil for about 8 months now. I was doing it to help clear up my acne (this on top of using the Acne.org Regimen). My acne is under control now, only ~1 pimple a month, and I definitely think it was because of the Regimen and oil swishing. It definitely wasn't exercise or good dieting--I didn't do much of that! :(

I think on a scale of 1-10, I would rate my clear skin as a 5-6 before and 8-9 now.

It also decreased the KP on my arms and, more noticeably, my allergies. I stopped sneezing. I didn't have phlegm in my throat anymore, and my ears were unmuffled. I felt kinda stupid because I was constantly going to the dr's for allergy problems and he would send me home with antibiotics, nasal decongestants, and antihistamines that didn't work. I should have tried this a lot sooner but I was skeptical. I would rate how effective it was on my allergies as a 9, and it was a 5 before.

I stopped a month ago because I ran out of coconut oil. I didn't notice this until I stopped, but my ears are more clogged again and I have to clear my throat much more. I'm going to the grocery store to get some coconut oil soon. It's a lot more effective than prescription medicines, and much much cheaper!

I highly recommend this! :razz: It doesn't work overnight, but it works.

wowww sounds interesting!!!!!!

but gosh, swishing oil in my mouth would be YUCK, and then i spit it out and try to wash my mouth out with water, it wouldn't work LMAO.

After a few minutes it's like you're swishing around water. It's fine

wowww sounds interesting!!!!!!

but gosh, swishing oil in my mouth would be YUCK, and then i spit it out and try to wash my mouth out with water, it wouldn't work LMAO.

After a few minutes it's like you're swishing around water. It's fine

Haha! You've just brought this to my attention so I thought i'd give it a go, see what it's like.

I can't imagine it to do anything, i'm a skeptic with all things..but its easy so I thought i'd try it...erm..now?

Ha ha...Tastes funny..will try not to spit it on laptop...why oh why am I doing this :boohoo:

hahaha

**So my teeth looked sparkly white, so they probably do always?

meh.

Edited by Hello_Kitty_89

Anyone still trying this? Makes my stomach turn thinking about it but so did the smell of AVC at first.

My mom actually mentioned this to me over the phone. I've brushed my teeth with olive oil before/swished with it. It helps a ton if you have a canker sore. But I don't know too much about it, certainly not about the "flooding your system with toxins when you swallow it" part, since I've also read it can be beneficial to have a tbsp of straight coconut oil once a day (something my mom also does for her thyroid).

QUOTE(jewel_001 @ Apr 14 2007, 06:26 AM)

anyone tried this?

Read the OP forum, people do it all the time. They get detox symptoms like acne, diarrhea, and some other things, but in the end those symptoms go away and they reap the benefits.

If the toxins are going from mouth to oil to sink, and not out of skin or intestines, why would there be those detox symptoms?