Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
backpacker

Embarassed and Scared to ask parents to go to a derm

Lately, my acne has gotten totally out of control. It used to be managable and not totally terrible. Now, it just sucks. I am 16 and want to see a dermatologist and possibly get a solution to my problem. However, I am embarassed and scared to ask my parents about going to a derm. I dont know why I am, I know they know I have acne and such. I dont know if they will even let me go. Any tips?

Also, what happens when you go to a dermatoligist? Does he/she just examine your face and then prescribe or what?

Don't be too self conscious to get help, there's absolutely no shame in it. Your parents won't judge you or make fun of you, just remember that.

On another note, when you go to the derm, he/she will diagnose which type(s) of acne you have, assess severity and make educated guesses at treatment. You should read around this board and get to know some of the potential products and people's experiences with them.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

First time you go to the derm, you'll feel self-conscious and a bit awkward.

This IS normal. I felt the same way.

Now everytime I go there I'm like "Heey..whazzup...how YOU doin'?" No biggie biggrin.gif

haha my derm's cool about it. She's like wow your face is looking better. and she always tried to comfort me saying, Don't worry it's not that bad, I've treated worse cases. I'm just like ok..fill out the presecription and let me free...

simply ask yourself this: am i more embrassed about my acne or asking my parents to get treatment for my acne?

yes, it seems scary/embrassing, but really once u get it over with, ull realize "hey that wasn't that bad".

it took me a 3/4 of a year and 4 my acne to become cystic b4 i finally gathered the courage to ask.... i feel stupid now that i waited sad.gif

Lately, my acne has gotten totally out of control. It used to be managable and not totally terrible. Now, it just sucks. I am 16 and want to see a dermatologist and possibly get a solution to my problem. However, I am embarassed and scared to ask my parents about going to a derm. I dont know why I am, I know they know I have acne and such. I dont know if they will even let me go. Any tips?

Also, what happens when you go to a dermatoligist? Does he/she just examine your face and then prescribe or what?

^ ummmm - no thanks.

------------

Backpacker,

There are only a small range of items that derms can prescribe that a normal doctor can't. (at least this is the case in NZ) Typically derms start by prescribing things like topicals and antibiotics....and will move you up to things accutane only if earlier prescriptions prove inneffective. So if it makes it easier you could start by going to your family doc...if they feel that your case is really severe then they'll no doubt refer you onto a derm anyhow.

But you shouldn't feel guilty or embarrassed about wanting to seek treatment. Acne tends to scar over time and it certainly affects peoples self esteem. I think most parents are coming round to understanding that.

Good luck