Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Skin needling by a tattooist

Hello, I'll give a short introduction. I'm 18 and from the UK. I am of Chinese descent (have olive-coloured face). I had acne for 4 years; it gradually got worse. It got to the point where I was prescribed roaccutane. I successfully finished the course last year. It went well, and I didn't suffer any of the 'bad' side-effect. I actually registered on here and made a somewhat undedicated log *rolls eyes*. Anyway, the acne left behind some awful rolling scars. These aren't very visible in dim conditions, but in lit conditions they are. If the light is shown from above, then the scars don't look too fetching.

So, since I had come off accutane for 6 months, I was ready to seriously consider scar treatments. I looked around a few places (chiefly here), and I soon discovered Yumi's little experience (a link from here) with skin needling by tattooist. It sounded promising, although it didn't end very conclusionally (such word?), so I made further research on it. I spent countless numbers of late nights reading stuff about needling. I found lots of stuff on here about self-needling, but there wasn't very much about needling with a tattoo gun.

So after doing a lot of researching, I phoned up two local tattooists. Like most tattooist, they both said that they don't tattoo the face. But when I mentioned it was without ink, they were sceptical. One said he'd ask his friends about it (which took too long, I couldn't be assed to wait), and the other asked me to print off some stuff about it for him. So I decided with the latter option (this guy sounded like he knew his stuff, and was reasonable). I handed it to him, he read it and did some of his own research. Then he asked me to come in. We had a good chat, he agreed that it looks worthy of a try. He then sent me back to talk it through with my parents. We signed some stuff, and I wrote him a detailed script of the pre-process, the process itself, and the post-process. Then he had a talk with my mum to see if she was all right with it (of course she was). Price was £150 for one side of the face. This is more expensive than I imagined, but I didn't mind much because this guy sounded pretty decent, and knowledgeable as well. He wasn't one of those tattooist who just accepts the money and does the job. So, today was the day...

Day 1 - 11th April 2007

My appointment was at 5pm. He told me to cleanse my face with some kind of disinfectant that's used in surgery. Then I applied anaesthetic (okay, he helped me a bit :P). We waited for 30mins for it to set in, at this point, my face felt tight. Then we began... He used 1mm needles with the tattoo gun. It hurt quite a bit, but it was certainly bearable. Then he tattooed an area without anaesthetic, fuck me that hurt (temple area). Afterwards he cleansed the area and applied dressing a few times. The bleeding was reduced, and some kind of colourless fluid was oozing (he explained what it was, but I can't remember now). My face was extremely red, and the prickling sensation, when the needle penetrates, started to arise. He applied some kind of ointment-gel, apparently used for hemroids. This was meant to close the pores and reduce inflammation. Well, that's what it's meant to do when you rub it up your A-hole. It didn't smell too nice either. My mum drove me home. When I got home I washed that crap off my face (which he said to do). Then cleansed my face with some cream, which is enriched with vitamin E. The area felt hard (tight as well), and bumpy at places. There was also the occasional pricking sensation. I let my face dry, and dabbed off any fluid/blood droplets still occurring. Then, crazily, I applied a thin layer of cod liver oil onto the area. Cod liver oil is one of the richest natural sources of vitamin A and D. Since I couldn't find the vitamin AD ointment mentioned on this site, I thought this would be a suitable substitute. Although now I smell quite fishy :D

I've uploaded a pic, hope that helps :)

I'm a really dedicated user of thestudentroom.co.uk (over 10,000 posts), but I will try and keep this thread active, since this site has been a really useful resource for me :)

post-57023-1176318345_thumb.jpg

post-57023-1176318345_thumb.jpg

OoO TennesseeGrl has been made a mod now. Well done :) I remember you for some reason (in a good way) :P

Hey 1337, hope the needling goes well for you. I'm also considering needling so i'd be very interested to hear your updates.

So you only had one side of the face needled?? Is that because only one side of your face is scarred?

Hey 1337, hope the needling goes well for you. I'm also considering needling so i'd be very interested to hear your updates.

So you only had one side of the face needled?? Is that because only one side of your face is scarred?

Ok - I'm a part time tattoo artist - so I'll try to explain some. One side of your face at a time is better because your body focuses all it's extra energy to the site of an injury - if you make that two sites - the energy is halved, and the potential for proper healing is halved. Cod liver oil for the a & d is not a bad choice at all. We always use a big tub of A&D Ointment (diaper rash cream) most people do very well with this. When you wash your face, make sure you use a mild soap, cool water, and let your face dry for 10 mn before applying your ointment. Apply the ointment while the skin is still retaining water can cause scabs to slough off before they are ready. The bumpiness is completely normal, and will diminish with time. Take a couple Ibuprofen every few hours to reduce swelling and pain. The colorless liquid was exudate - there may or may not be more. Don't soak. You may want to increase your Vitamin C intake...that's all I can think of, feel free to ask if you have any questions! And kudos to you for having the balls to do it! :D

Thanks for the post Ayla, much appreciated.

How about the white specks? Is that normal?

We always use a big tub of A&D Ointment (diaper rash cream) most people do very well with this.

so what exactly does this do?

well obviously it's a scar treatment but how does it work? i don't understand

How is your face today, 1337? Thanks for sharing your story with us, by the way. *HUGS*

-Gretchen

Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you! The white specks are more than likely what's called granulation. It's something that you want to see and means that your body is repairing itself.

Technically, yes - you are supposed to supplement before, during an after - but what the heck ;) Worth a shot.

Peeling is normal - Don't pick it off, as tempting as it may be.

Thanks ayla. Yeah, the granulation went a couple of days ago :)

The scabs have almost completely fallen off. They were very light. I think this was due to my using sufficient cod liver oil to keep it moist.

Pic attached...

post-57023-1176745898_thumb.jpg

post-57023-1176745898_thumb.jpg

How is your face today, 1337? Thanks for sharing your story with us, by the way. *HUGS*

-Gretchen

Yeah, much better thanks. There's no more swelling, but there's still redness (not as red as before). And there's a very light layer of scab, some of which is quite flakey. Erm... I'll try and upload another pic tomorrow, if I can.

1337- what do you think of the procedure so far? You didn't post any before photos, so it will be hard for us to tell what kind of improvement there has been. I know it has been only a couple of days but do you think there is any improvement? Thank you for sharing your experience and please continue it could help alot of us.

1337- what do you think of the procedure so far? You didn't post any before photos, so it will be hard for us to tell what kind of improvement there has been. I know it has been only a couple of days but do you think there is any improvement? Thank you for sharing your experience and please continue it could help alot of us.

But remember, full results (apparently) take a few months. Something about some replenish cycle or something...

Skin colour is slowly going back to normal now. All the scabs have fallen off. And I've started using Bio oil :)

if i was you i wouldnt use bio oil... general concensus is that its far to greasy and would clog ur pores.....

Have you looked into emu oil? I'm not saying start using that on newly healed skin but i love the stuff, look into it!!

if i was you i wouldnt use bio oil... general concensus is that its far to greasy and would clog ur pores.....
Oh right :| So would general moisturiser be okay?