Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
katiep

My log. It's log, it's log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.

Hi all,

This is my first time posting here. I have what I guess you'd call mild acne, in that at certain times of the month, I'll only have one or two tiny pimples on my chin, and then at other times of the month, I'll have 7-10 big guys all over my chin and cheeks. I guess this is hormonal, but I've always had a problem with hormonal birth control in the past (in that it makes me certifiably insane.) However, acne is beginning to make me certifiably insane too, so I figure, what the heck, might as well give BC another try. I'll be starting Ortho TriCyclen when my period starts in a few weeks. I'm also planning to try the Aleve method on my cycle this month.

So I'm on my fourth day of Differin and taking doxycycline twice a day, and I'm beginning to get a little flaky on my chin and my skin feels kind of tight. I had been using the same moisturizer I normally use (it's like, Neutrogena brand or something) but I'm going to stop at GNC this evening and see if i can find some jojoba oil. My dermatologist said to just use Vaseline, but I don't know how I feel about that. Has anyone tried it? I feel like it might cause me to break out more.

No new pimples in the last 4 days since I started the Differin, but I'm guessing that won't last. Weirdly enough, even though I'm flaking a bit, the rest of my skin feels really soft. Yeah, weird.

Anyway, so far, so good. I know it's early, though, and that's it's gonna get worse... I just hope I can stick it out. I'm such a weenie like that.

Oh, also.

I read in the product reviews of Differin that someone thought it worked better (less irritation and a less ghastly IB) for adult acne, not so well for teenagers. Anyone think there's any truth to that? I'm an adult so...I hope so!

Is it red and irritated, or just flaky? If its just flaky, you could moisturize more often. I'd be hesitant to tell you to exfoliate with a soft wash cloth like I do, because retinoids can make your skin more fragile.

If you are getting redness or irritation, you might try reducing your Differin application to every other night for awhile and see if that helps.

well, it's day 5. i used jojoba oil last night and this morning and it worked WONDERS.

too bad there is some trouble brewing on the left side of my chin--always my most troublesome area. little bumps that are threatening to become zits. would putting aspirin on them help? i mean, once they're threatening, is there really anything you can do?

and thank you for the advice, willow!

day 6. so far, so good. i iced the hell out of the little bumps on the side of my chin last night, and they seem flatter and less visible today. amazing!

seriously, the few days i've spent perusing this site and these boards has turned up SO much useful information. from jojoba oil to ice on zits to what to expect from differin, i just wanted to thank you all so much.

i know the worst is yet to come, but i'm holding out.

one quick question, though. i know everything on this site says to only wash your face twice a day, but i'm a big fan of washing once at night (before putting differin on), once in the morning (to get the differin off), and once when i get home from work (just to scrub off my makeup/a day of grime), you know? what can i substitute for that afternoon/evening washing? is there anything safe to use?

day 10. brace yourself for more of the same.

the right side of my chin is still causing a problem. two new guys popped up there in a 48-hour time span, but the first one already seems on its way out.

the other one is closer to the corner of my mouth, and it hurts. i hate getting them there, so that it hurts to open your mouth. anyway, i guess i'll just keep up with the differin and ice these babies tonight.

day 11. kind of a bad day. the ones on the side of my chin probably don't look THAT bad, but of course i think that i look like a monster. just bummed today, i guess. i could see how it would be easy to give up on differin.

i'm not going to--just sayin'. -sigh-

day 12. another really bad day. i KNOW in my head that my skin doesn't look THAT bad, but i still feel absolutely awful about it. i really want to cry, and i am not a cryer. it's making me so self-conscious, short with my coworkers, and worse, rude to my boyfriend, who is nothing but supportive. i feel like a failure. i feel like this is making me a bad person.

these feelings had better be from hormones, otherwise i'm just insane.

sorry for the mega-emo post, i'm sure you all have days like these too. it's just rough, ya know?

day 16. i got my period today (tmi? sorry.) which may have accounted for last week's outbursts of irrationality, and bad skin. next month i'll try the aleve method.

this day is also important, though, because that means i started ortho tri-cyclen today. actually, i realized my pharmacy had automatically given me the generic-- trinessa. do you think it matters?

okay skin today. nothing new, really. same old, same old.

day 23. i'm at the beginning of my fourth week of my differin/doxycycline regimen, and i'm at the beginning of my second week of trinessa. i think i'm in the initial breakout phase. i have three or four big, big pimples on my chin/side of my chin. but i've been putting ice on them and it seems to help a bit.

and you know, i don't really feel that bad about the IB. i was afraid it would be worse (i know, i know, it could still get worse) but i just keep thinking, i am at a low point now, it will only get better. and then i feel okay. i just know that i'm doing all i can, and i have to put my faith in this regimen.

keep your fingers crossed for me, that it does get better, and that i'm able to maintain this positive attitude.

also, i found a really good product to cover up old red marks--it's physician's formula gentle cover concealer in green. i've always used their green loose powder, but this concealer works wonders on covering red marks. not so good for more recently active zits, though. but i'll take what i can get. it looks just like a tube of lipstick and cost me like, 4 bucks at target. try it!

Hi-

Yeah, you are right at the time most people start getting that initial breakout. Its no fun to go through - that is what I was experiencing on Differin just about a year ago. It sounds like you are handling it well though! I hope things clear up for you soon!!

Hi-

Yeah, you are right at the time most people start getting that initial breakout. Its no fun to go through - that is what I was experiencing on Differin just about a year ago. It sounds like you are handling it well though! I hope things clear up for you soon!!

day 27. if that was the initial breakout, i guess maybe it's over now? nothing new at all to report. my red marks are going away and i'm not really getting any new zits. i don't know if this is because of the differin or the doxycycline or the trinessa or all three, but could this really be the end? in only 27 days??

please, someone burst my bubble. i'm afraid i've gotten my hopes too high.

well, let's see...it's day 33 and i'm looking fairly clear. a day or two ago, these tiny, tiny little bumps popped up in groups of 2... one group next to my nose, one group an inch higher, and one group above my eyebrow. i was so worried that they were going to get bigger, but only the ones above my eyebrow have (and only minimally so.) thankfully, my bangs cover them! they don't look like pimples, though, and i've never had pimples in those areas.

any idea what they might be?

Hi-

thank you for the kind words. how did differin work out for you?

day 27. if that was the initial breakout, i guess maybe it's over now? nothing new at all to report. my red marks are going away and i'm not really getting any new zits. i don't know if this is because of the differin or the doxycycline or the trinessa or all three, but could this really be the end? in only 27 days??

please, someone burst my bubble. i'm afraid i've gotten my hopes too high.

thank you both for your input!

today is day 37, and over the weekend, i broke out pretty badly. 4 or 5 new zits popped up on the side of my chin, but they seem to be on their way out already. my hormones are all kinds of a mess from starting ortho tri cyclen, so i'm just going to chalk it up to that and keep trying.

also, i went off of doxy, because i figured, if i'm going to be on birth control, my partner and i might as well reap the other benefits of birth control (meaning, no babies!) and i realized that doxy, as an antibiotic, was probably messing with the birth control. i hope it doesn't mess up my face.

day 55. right now, at this very moment, i have not one single active zit. NOT ONE. lots of red marks, but no actives. i feel good.

day 81. yowza!!

things are looking...okay. a few active zits. i've had a really, really stressful week or so, so i'm hoping it's due to that and not to the trinessa (generic ortho tri-cyclen), which i'm in my third month of, turning on my face. i really, really hope not. uggh.

well, after being on differin and ortho tri cyclen for 4 months, i think i've got it figured out. the differin doesn't seem to do much (i went off it for an entire week at the beach, and my skin was fine) so i think i'm going to finish out my tube and then not refill the prescription.

it's the ortho that makes the difference. my skin is good for 3 weeks out of the month. thing is, it's not "period week" that my skin gets bad--it's the second week of active pills. doesn't seem like there's anything i can do about it.

any advice? just take aleve for the inflammation?