Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YOU DIG??

YOU GUYS ARE FULL OF IT

where does it say accutane works culmatilvey??? my derm didnt say any thing about a culmative dose or on the accutane pamplets and the pharmacy shit say anthing about culmative dose

where does it say accutane works culmatilvey??? my derm didnt say any thing about a culmative dose or on the accutane pamplets and the pharmacy shit say anthing about culmative dose

The cumulative dose was "discovered" after isotretinoin had been on the market for some time, it's not surprising that doctors and pharmacists who don't keep up with the current literature don't know about it. I don't have the energy to go find the original study for someone so belligerent, but if you care to look for it, it's out there, and the info is accepted by dermatologists who actually bother to continue to educate themselves on acne treatments instead of Botox. It examined course lengths and dosages and concluded that statisticially the best chance of remission is acheived when the patient receives a cumulative dose of 120mg/kg to 150mg/kg over the length of the course, even if the daily dosage is well below the old school recommendations that are still on the packaging.

The cumulative dose was "discovered" after isotretinoin had been on the market for some time, it's not surprising that doctors and pharmacists who don't keep up with the current literature don't know about it. I don't have the energy to go find the original study for someone so belligerent, but if you care to look for it, it's out there, and the info is accepted by dermatologists who actually bother to continue to educate themselves on acne treatments instead of Botox. It examined course lengths and dosages and concluded that statisticially the best chance of remission is acheived when the patient receives a cumulative dose of 120mg/kg to 150mg/kg over the length of the course, even if the daily dosage is well below the old school recommendations that are still on the packaging.

my doctor knew about it. she's the one that told me. plus it is in the accutane prescribing info. maybe your doctor just doesn't know what she is doing.

It examined course lengths and dosages and concluded that statisticially the best chance of remission is acheived when the patient receives a cumulative dose of 120mg/kg to 150mg/kg over the length of the course, even if the daily dosage is well below the old school recommendations that are still on the packaging.

thanks for the info, i was a little scared at first bc my derm put me on 10 mg for the first 3 weeks and he'll bump me up this week. ciao

Your doctor and pharmacy don't tell you about it because they don't care.

You pay your doctor to tell you what to take. When I go to get my oil changed, the oil guy doesn't tell me how the engine works - he just tells me what I need to know. The doctor assumes you 1.) Don't care and 2.) Don't know enough - all your Doc will tell you is what you need to know....

Side effects

How to take the drug

When you need to come back in

Instead of coming in here and making a fool of yourself - a two second search on Google would have answered your questions about cummulative dosages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin

The dose of isotretinoin a patient receives is dependent on their weight and the severity of the condition. Generally it is prescribed from between 0.5 mg/kg/day to 2 mg/kg/day (usually at 0.5 to 1 mg/kg/day[6], divided into two doses), for a total treatment of 4–6 months. A second course may be used two months following the cessation of the initial course if severe acne recurs. Efficacy appears to be related to the cumulative dose of isotretinoin taken, with a total cumulative dose of 120–150 mg/kg used as a guideline.[2][3] These dosages are as recommended by studies that were funded by the entity that marketed the drug and profited from the sales.[citation needed] Other studies show that a lower dosage treatment may be just as effective.[7][8] In these experiments, subjects used 20mg/day, which is 0.25 mg/kg/day for an 80 kg (176 pounds) person.

If you want to argue about the studies that is one thing; but people are not 'full of it' for discussing the currently accepted medical practices.

yes, the doctor really doesn't need to mention it, they just tell you how many pills to take a day and they keep track of your dosage.