Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
june bug

Wow! A combo of things + back to DKR and I'm clear

I found this website 9 months ago and started Dan's regimen using Cetaphil gel cleanser for oily skin + Neutrogena 2.5% On the spot BP + Cetaphil moisture lotion. I suffered through the red, ichy, scaly dry skin for 8 weeks and then had a big breakout so I quit the regimen. After that I poured at least $1,000 into different treatments like microdermabrasion, peels, expensive cleansers, toners, moisturizers. I didn't tell my husband how much money I had spent! ACV and tea tree oil got it somewhat under control, but they seemed to stop working. My acne only got worse and worse, to the point that I would wear my hair down every day to cover it. I wanted to cry all the time and I even had suicidal thoughts (which I felt bad about but couldn't help). I hated washing my face because I would see all my inflamed acne and get depressed.

One month ago, I went to the doctor who told me that NO prescription topicals were rated as safe to use while nursing. She prescribed a low-dose pill and I started immediately (and had a really bad breakout shortly after starting). She pretty much told me that the only OTC thing that would work would be the BP. I didn't want to go back to that - yet.

I read online that drinking spearmint tea twice a day can help lower androgen hormones, so I've been doing that for a month. Either the tea or the pill got rid of the tiny, flesh-colored bumps that covered my skin (they cleared up after about a week of drinking the tea). Because of the pill, my hormones continued to fluctuate, and I basically was on my period (although lightly) for three weeks. Fun! I still had blackheads and red acne, so I decided to listen to my Dr.'s advice and use BP again. I was nervous to start the regimen again, but I did, and I AM SO GLAD I DID!!!! I used different products this time - I switched to the Cetaphil cream cleanser (awesome). I applied the cleanser differently, though. I would wet my hands and apply the cleanser to my dry face, gently moving my hands in circles across my face. Then I would rinse with lukewarm water and wait 5 minutes before applying the BP. For the BP, I used Proactiv repair lotion (it didn't irritate my skin as much as the neutrogena). In the morning I would use an oil-free moisturizer and spot treat the really dry areas with the Cetaphil moisture lotion. At night I didn't moisturize at all. The first week was difficult, my skin was red, flakey, ichy. I had a small breakout, but I pushed through it even though I wanted to quit. It is now the end of the 2nd week and my face is clear (other than red marks). I can't believe it - it is such a joy to be able to run my hand across my face and not feel any painful bumps. It is an incredible feeling. I used to have at least 6 or 7 inflamed cysts on my face at any given time (along w/milia, blackheads, pustules, etc). Even the redmarks have begun to fade some, which surprised me because I had read so much about BP making red marks worse. Not the case for me.

Looking back, I now know what I had done wrong the first time around. I wear makeup (and probably always will), so I was positive that I needed a toner after the cleansing step. So, I was using the Proactiv toner. I also couldn't handle the dry skin, so every so often I would use a microdermabrasion cleanser that had pumice in it (idiot!). I was basically upsetting my skin, big time. This time is different, I do not use toner or scrubs. The Cetaphil cleanser removes all traces of my makeup.

I honestly have to pinch myself because I still can't believe that I have no painful bumps on my face. I never thought I would go back to the regimen, but now I will probably use it for life. Thank you so much for developing it, Dan! I am so happy :dance:

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear you finally got things under control.

p.s. you may want to update your signature info......... ;)

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear you finally got things under control.

p.s. you may want to update your signature info......... ;)

True, thanks. I just changed it. I'm still so much in disbelief. I never thought I would get this clear so fast, it's like a prayer answered, or a dream come true :angel: