Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-SJ-

Chemical Peels and Hypertrophic Scars!!

So is there NO WAY that a chemical peel can work on hypertrophic scars? I am an African-American male with a caramel complexion, and I have these scab-like marks on my cheeks I'm not even sure if the scars that I have are hypertrophic scars, but they are slightly raised and brownish.

My derm suggested a chemical peel as the next course of action for these marks,but will that help any?

BUMP.

Is there ANYONE that can help me with this? My topics on here have a nasty habit of not getting responses. :/

I will post a picture later to give you a better idea of what these marks look like.

SJ:

I'm going through pixel laser treatments for my hypertrophic scars. From what I have studied about these scars, is that they can be white, red, brownish looking. Mine are white. They are slightly raised, but not like keloids, nor do they have scabs. I am a W/F with fair skin. I've had 4 pixels done so far and tomorrow (4/17) will be my fifth. I'm beginning to see a few of them on my upper shoulders start to fade (but not fading fast enough for me, LOL!).

I've also had several TCA (30%) peels done. They did nothing for the scars. Your best bet would be the pixel or fraxel laser treatments. I must warn you that afterwards it will feel like your skin is on fire, but the pain goes away in about 12-15 hours.

Has your dermatologist discussed other treatments? If not, then go elsewhere. And, a good derma will always start with conservative treatments and work up to more aggressive ones. If you have any other questions, give me a holler!

Mrs. U

So is there NO WAY that a chemical peel can work on hypertrophic scars? I am an African-American male with a caramel complexion, and I have these scab-like marks on my cheeks I'm not even sure if the scars that I have are hypertrophic scars, but they are slightly raised and brownish.

My derm suggested a chemical peel as the next course of action for these marks,but will that help any?

Thanks for the reply,Mrs. U.

Yeah,she started off with the more conservative stuff such as pills,creams,etc. and she said the next course of action would be to use a chemical peel.

She sounded quite confident about it when she mentioned it,so I hope she knows what she is talking about.

How much did the laser treatment cost,though? Thousands of bucks I'm sure. :drool:

I meant to post a pic in here,but it slipped my mind. I will try to remember tomorrow.

But just think of them as SLIGHTLY raised and brown and looking a good deal like scabs.

I'm going through pixel laser treatments for my hypertrophic scars. From what I have studied about these scars, is that they can be white, red, brownish looking. Mine are white. They are slightly raised, but not like keloids, nor do they have scabs. I am a W/F with fair skin. I've had 4 pixels done so far and tomorrow (4/17) will be my fifth. I'm beginning to see a few of them on my upper shoulders start to fade (but not fading fast enough for me, LOL!)......

Mrs. U

Hi, SJ!

What kind of scars did the derma say you had? And what chemical peel does she want to use? You need to ask her that and what the side effects are on dark skin, i.e. hyperpigmentation.

I'm paying under 500 bucks for each laser treatment. Most offices will customize a payment plan for you. Are there other dermatologists in your area that you can consult with? Do your research before committing to ANY treatment.

I'm off for my 5th laser treatment this morning at 10. It will be a few days before I will be back here, so hang tough if you have more questions for me to answer.

Mrs. U

Thanks for the reply,Mrs. U.

Yeah,she started off with the more conservative stuff such as pills,creams,etc. and she said the next course of action would be to use a chemical peel.

She sounded quite confident about it when she mentioned it,so I hope she knows what she is talking about.

How much did the laser treatment cost,though? Thousands of bucks I'm sure. :drool:

I meant to post a pic in here,but it slipped my mind. I will try to remember tomorrow.

But just think of them as SLIGHTLY raised and brown and looking a good deal like scabs.

I'm going through pixel laser treatments for my hypertrophic scars. From what I have studied about these scars, is that they can be white, red, brownish looking. Mine are white. They are slightly raised, but not like keloids, nor do they have scabs. I am a W/F with fair skin. I've had 4 pixels done so far and tomorrow (4/17) will be my fifth. I'm beginning to see a few of them on my upper shoulders start to fade (but not fading fast enough for me, LOL!)......

Mrs. U

Hi!

No, doc started out with microdermabrasion, then TCA chemical peels, now laser. My scars are white and raised. Yes, sorry, fading to me is when the scars shrink in size. According to the doc, they are. They photograph the area before every treatment and compare them. I can't use cortisone because of a health problem and doc did not recommend the scar sheets or creams.

I told SJ that I'm getting my 5th laser done this morning and I won't be here for a few days, so hold your questions. The first 12-15 hours is misery, but it passes.

Mrs. U

Hi Mrs U. Did you try cortisone or 5FU injections, silicone sheet, or Mederma? Also, I don't understand when you say you are seeing them "fade"... you said they are already white.... do you mean flatten / shrink?

Hi, SJ!

I'm paying $300.00 per treatment.

Yes, I'm in pain, but it's not as bad as the last one.

I'm outtie for now.

Mrs. U :D

So how much do each of these laser treatments cost,Mrs. U?

Wow,that's A LOT cheaper than I thought it would be.

We'll see...I'm working more hours over the summer,so I might consider it.

Hopefully what she does for me next month will help,though.

Hi, SJ!

I'm back from hell, LOL! It took 13 hours for the burning pain to go away. I never can get to sleep that first night, so I just stay up and live on coffee.

I know the cost sounds cheap, and I'm sure he could charge a lot more, but he's such an honest man and doesn't want to gouge his patients. Just shop around for the best prices and the best doctors.

If you live in Chicago, I know of a dermatologist who specializes in using laser and other treatments on skin of color. Her name is Dr. Brooke Jackson. I don't live in Chicago, but I live in Michigan directly across the lake.

Like I tell others, save your money! I started putting away every dollar bill I had to save up for these treatments. It adds up quickly. I am retired and naturally on a strict budget.

Did doc say what kind of peel she'll use? Remember, some of them can cause your skin to change colors and that is usually permanent.

Take care and see you later.

Mrs. U

Wow,that's A LOT cheaper than I thought it would be.

We'll see...I'm working more hours over the summer,so I might consider it.

Hopefully what she does for me next month will help,though.

Glad to hear you're feeling better from the peel. :)

Yeah,I live about 35 minutes away from Chicago in a city called Joliet. I go to Chicago quite a bit,but only when necessary. Rush hour is a killer. :confused:

No,she didn't tell me what kind of peel it would be. She seemed quite confident that it would help with my marks,though,and I'm hoping and praying it does. I'm SICK of contending with these marks everyday.

I've been using this AHA lotion by Neutrogena,and I've been peeling QUITE A BIT lately. Seems to be bringing down these slightly raised marks,but it's still a bit hard to tell.

I bumped up my derm appointment from May 25 to May 10 because I'm really anxious to see what she does next,so we'll see soon here.

In the meantime,I'm wearing these Neosporin silicone sheets to try and flatten the marks more until I go see the derm. Hopefully that helps to make the peel more effective.

SJ!

Yep, know where Joliet is. I used to visit Chicago all of the time back when I was young and single. My husband is from 89th and Throup Sts. Have experienced rush hour on the Dan Ryan, LOL! And don't forget Lower Wacker Drive!

I've never tried the silicone sheets. The only thing I'm doing is using the right cleanser(Murad Clarifying) and moisturizer(Salex-prescription) for my skin. My face is fine, no scars, but I'm scarred on my chest/back/shoulders.

Let me know how it goes, SJ. I've had my scars for 39 years, so you have my simpathy.

Good talking with someone from Chicago. Best city in the world.

Jan aka Mrs. U

Glad to hear you're feeling better from the peel. :)

Yeah,I live about 35 minutes away from Chicago in a city called Joliet. I go to Chicago quite a bit,but only when necessary. Rush hour is a killer. :confused:

No,she didn't tell me what kind of peel it would be. She seemed quite confident that it would help with my marks,though,and I'm hoping and praying it does. I'm SICK of contending with these marks everyday.

I've been using this AHA lotion by Neutrogena,and I've been peeling QUITE A BIT lately. Seems to be bringing down these slightly raised marks,but it's still a bit hard to tell.

I bumped up my derm appointment from May 25 to May 10 because I'm really anxious to see what she does next,so we'll see soon here.

In the meantime,I'm wearing these Neosporin silicone sheets to try and flatten the marks more until I go see the derm. Hopefully that helps to make the peel more effective.

SJ,

Forgot to ask you this-have you had the chicken pox? Or were you immunized with the varicella vax?

Reason I'm asking, if you haven't had the pox or varicella vax, you are at risk for getting shingles from chemical peels.

The dermatologist should have asked you that question.

Everytime I had a peel done to my face, neck and chest, I had to take 14 days worth of Valtrex to prevent shingles (I had the chicken pox). If I remember correctly, those who were vaccinated with varicella don't have to worry about shingles; it's only us old timers who had the disease that are in jeopardy.

When you call to schedule an earlier appointment, please ask what kind/strength of peel she will use. I'm really concerned about hyper/hypopigmentation happening to you.

Also, you should know this, that after I had a TCA peel done on my face, I had impetigo. No worries over it, as it is very treatable with a topical ointment.

Holler if you have any more questions!

Jan aka Mrs. U

Yeah,I got chicken pox a loooonnnngggg time ago. :)

I'd never heard that about these peels,though. She seems like a pretty competent derm though,and she's said that she's dealt with darker skin tones before,so hopefully she knows what she is doing.

Do you get to choose what areas you want them to put the peel on? Or do they just put it on your whole face?

SJ,

Forgot to ask you this-have you had the chicken pox? Or were you immunized with the varicella vax?

Reason I'm asking, if you haven't had the pox or varicella vax, you are at risk for getting shingles from chemical peels.

The dermatologist should have asked you that question.

Everytime I had a peel done to my face, neck and chest, I had to take 14 days worth of Valtrex to prevent shingles (I had the chicken pox). If I remember correctly, those who were vaccinated with varicella don't have to worry about shingles; it's only us old timers who had the disease that are in jeopardy.

When you call to schedule an earlier appointment, please ask what kind/strength of peel she will use. I'm really concerned about hyper/hypopigmentation happening to you.

Also, you should know this, that after I had a TCA peel done on my face, I had impetigo. No worries over it, as it is very treatable with a topical ointment.

Holler if you have any more questions!

Jan aka Mrs. U

No, they apply the peel to the entire face, feathering it out under the jaw line and chin. The one I had done to my face, they even feathered it out to my earlobes.

I had to tell you about the shingles/impetigo/pigment problems. I still think your dermatologist should have told you about the side effects and by not doing so, makes her irresponsible.

Good luck, SJ!

Jan

Well I've gotta say,I'm not even 100 percent that the peel will be the next course of action she takes. The ONLY reason I'm saying it is is because when I was preparing to leave her office,she said that if the current treatment she gave me doesn't help with the scars (which it hasn't really) then she'd "do a chemical peel or something along those lines". I think she listed off another possible treatment,but my mind was already thinking about whether this current treatment would work. :think:

So we'll see. It's a little over 2 more weeks until I go see her again,so I'll let you know how it goes. I just hope it helps since my scars (if that's what they are) aren't EXTREMELY bad,but they are indeed there.