Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traxie2001

Does masking fit in with the regimen?

I am a long-time masker - over the past decade I've used tons and tons of different masks with varying success. I think that masking improves my skin's texture and overall health, but I'm wondering if it fits in with the regimen? Does anyone mask regularly and, if so, where does it fit in to your regimen? Thanks!! :)

I would not use homemade masks (or non-homemade ones for that matters) until your progress on the regimen has plateaued, so that if they do worsen your acne or irritate you, you'll be able to know that it was the mask for sure. I find masks to be fun and relaxing, but not really to do much for my skin besides dry it out.

Guest Sincerely Me

If you are going to use a mask, I'd wait around a month if you are on the regimen, and if you are on the regimen for longer, go ahead, but only use it once a week. Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask is a favorite, and it's great as a spot treatment, and the aspirin mask if good too.

My two favorites are Mary Kay's Revitalizing Mask and Proactiv's Sulfur mask. I've used Mary Kay's stuff for years (since I was about 12) so I'm pretty sure it'll be okay with my skin and not make me break out. I've used Proactiv's mask on and off for about 5-6 years. I will take your advice and wait for another two weeks or so...no hurry! It's been my experience that masking usually makes my skin dryer at first then helps with overal moisturization because it encourages my skin to heal. Once I start I'll post results, if any! :)

Guest Sincerely Me

I LOVE the Proactiv Refining Mask. Too bad the tube it comes in is pretty small.

I got one off of ebay a few years ago that was full-size (I think it was 4oz) and it lasted me a long time. The little one that comes with the proactiv kit is pathetic... :)

I haven’t heard that many good reviews on the Proactive Mask, I’ve used that mask a few times before a job… but I think it broke me out, cant really remember now.

What does it actually do for your skin long term? (a mask?)