Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-lxl-

Zinc made me break out!

so i took 50mg of Zinc last nite...

i wake up in the morning to find a BIG whitehead

and by tonight it grew even bigger... ugh!

i dunno whats wrong with zinc but i dont think im gonna take any more of this stuff

Do not think that by taking Zinc it caused one pimple.

Lots of things could have happened overnight. Irritation from your pillowcase, picking at your face while you sleep (it happens), or the off chance of getting a clogged pore.

50mg of Zinc would hardly do much to you.

It seems you are relating correlation to the first thing you want to pinpoint it too. You probably would have had it no matter what. But try this, go off it... if you don't get another zit for a few days, and go on it again and if you get another get another one, and so forth for a few times, then perhaps. But I highly doubt 'that' was the underlying cause, know what I mean?

The zinc didn't cause the breakout.

Th eonly exception would be if you are allergic to zinc. SInce it is an essential nutirient. I highly doubt it. Breakouts, on average, take about 2 oe so weeks to form unless you have an sensitivity or an allergy. If some food agent caused this breakout, it was probably something you ate 3,4 or 14 days ago or your diet as whole or your skin care regimen or your products or irritation or...

it's very rare for acne to be truly caused by something overnight, now matter how likely it seems. usually the zits are two or three days formin.

I've been taking zinc for a good 2 months and it's been nothing but good for me. Something you took last night doesn't have much affect on you the next day I don't think.

yeah i agree with the above. you wont get a pimple overnight from taking a supplement. acne takes time to form and time to heal.

hmm i see... i just panicked b/c it was pretty out of the blue whitehead

maybe ill try zinc later to see how it helps

It can actually take a month from the time a microcomedone forms to the time it becomes a full-fledged pimple. Like others have said, apart from allergic reactions (which would likely be more than one pimple), it takes longer for acne to form. I really doubt if it was from the zinc. It shoudl be just the opposite - zinc is anti-inflammatory.

I agree with everyone else. Zinc is a good thing but its only gonna help if you are getting 2mg of Copper with it. Lorrie

rite now i cant get my hands on copper supplments...

is it okay to take zinc by itself?

im also taking Vitamin C 500mg every morning

1. zinc will not make you break out

2. you need to try anything for at least three weeks before any effects will be noticeable

3. you only need to supplement with 2mg copper if you take more than 50mg zinc per day

4. you shouldnt need more than about 25mg zinc to address any possible deficiency (the rdi/dv is only 15mg)

5. to best absorb zinc, you should take it with vit c, vit a, manganese/magnesium, and vit b6 (its co-factors)

6. chill out :angel: