Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Russ_uk

Stinging, itchy, red face..

Hi there, I've been doing the regimen for a week and my face is incredibly itchy and red during the day, and stinging for most of the morning. I've tried using 2 different soaps (all bar, i get extremely flakey skin after the first 5 mins of waiting between stage 1 and 2), and 3 different moisturisers with no luck.

The soaps are: imperial leather and 'Dove'.

Moisturisers are: Nivea for men, Aveeno cream(contains oatmeal, weird huh) and some Vaseline body moisture. I use the Aveeno cream as my latest..

Its making me kinda miserable during the day, people ask me 'hey your face is red, howcome?' and I get urges to scratch my face all over.

I've ordered Dans own cleanser in a desperate attempt to improve my incredibly frustrating skin on my face (should be here in 2 weeks).

Anybody got any idea's of how to conquer my frustrating problem?

(On a lighter note, my face is clearing up nicely, but at a huge cost!)

Unless you feel this is an allergy, it sounds like you just have sensitive skin.

You should consider using the recommended products. Those soaps you mentioned sound like they may be too drying for you. I see you are from the UK, a good substitute for Purpose Wash is Johnson's head to toe baby wash. You can use that until Dan's cleanser arrives. It should be less irritating than the bars you have been using.

And see if you can find Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, or one of the other recommended moisturizers. Many of our UK members like Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% urea, you might look for it.

Try decreasing the amount of BP for now. You may have started out with too much too soon. For the first week you should be using 1/4 the recommended amount and increase it each week so that by week 4 you are using the full generous amount.

I hope this helps!

Guest Sincerely Me

Well, it's been a week, so for me, that sounds normal. Maybe you can cut back on your BP amount to ease some of the discomfort and bump it up when your skin gets used to it. Bar soap, to me, is irritating. If you used a gentler cleanser, which you will, the dryness should certainly improve. As for moisturizers, make sure you are using the kind only for your face, but moisturizers are tough, people need different levels so eventually you will find what works for you.

I personally think that maybe cutting the BP for a while, and Dan's cleanser will cut the irritation tremendously. If you are not getting results with your current moisturizer, it is time to invest in a new one.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I'll try and find those products tomorrow, fingers crossed I can get through this terribly irritating stage (and I hope this isn't an allergic response).

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I'll try and find those products tomorrow, fingers crossed I can get through this terribly irritating stage (and I hope this isn't an allergic response).

good luck, and let us know how you are doing in a day or so.

Well, it's been a week, so for me, that sounds normal. Maybe you can cut back on your BP amount to ease some of the discomfort and bump it up when your skin gets used to it. Bar soap, to me, is irritating. If you used a gentler cleanser, which you will, the dryness should certainly improve. As for moisturizers, make sure you are using the kind only for your face, but moisturizers are tough, people need different levels so eventually you will find what works for you.

I personally think that maybe cutting the BP for a while, and Dan's cleanser will cut the irritation tremendously. If you are not getting results with your current moisturizer, it is time to invest in a new one.

Today I've decided to stop the regimen until I get what you recommended/dans own stuff comes through the post. Woke up with incredible itching and an oddly moist face..... not useful when I have work in the morning :naughty:

Ok... things have just got worse, my face is actually (look away children) pussing? A darkish liquid is coming out of the skin... good job my friends don't read this, they'd be pretty grossed out.

I hope this isn't an allergic response to the cream itself, more of a response of the dead skin on my face..?

Sorry if this sounds gross... (oddly enough my spots themselves are going nicely)

Oh Russ, that doesn't sound good. Discontinue everything. It may be an allergic reaction. Are you having any swelling?

You poor thing. If it feels good, you might just use some vaseline at night to help put a protective layer on your skin and soothe and heal, otherwise just stop everything and let your poor face calm down.

Some slight itching and dryness is normal, but an oozing face, definitely not. You're in the unlucky 3% of people who are allergic to BP, I think. I agree with Brandy, you better stop using BP and give your face some time to chill out before going on other acne treatments. A derm (or, um GP I think you guys go to in the UK?) should be able to help you get non-BP acne treatments.

I really hope I'm not in the 3% allergic to bp, because its doing wonders for the spots.. just not my skin as a whole. And sadly, my local doctors are terrible - but its worth a go if my face gets any worse.

At the moment my skin is incredibly peely... the problem is: if I carry on the dry skin (and oozing) might only get worse. If I stop, my skin will go incredibly dry also.... normal washing with a soap makes my face come up in a big rash and dry skin.

This is turning into some sort of horror story hehe, but I hope in a few weeks when I have Dan's cleanser, things will work out ok.

:rolleyes:

Oh and for some history, I used to use a product called 'Clean and Clear' in the shower in the morning for a few years. It worked ok but I'd still have breakouts. Perhaps this new regime is a shock to the skin on my face because its a sudden change of product.

Thanks for your concern also :)

I really hope I'm not in the 3% allergic to bp, because its doing wonders for the spots.. just not my skin as a whole. And sadly, my local doctors are terrible - but its worth a go if my face gets any worse.

At the moment my skin is incredibly peely... the problem is: if I carry on the dry skin (and oozing) might only get worse. If I stop, my skin will go incredibly dry also.... normal washing with a soap makes my face come up in a big rash and dry skin.

This is turning into some sort of horror story hehe, but I hope in a few weeks when I have Dan's cleanser, things will work out ok.

:rolleyes:

Oh and for some history, I used to use a product called 'Clean and Clear' in the shower in the morning for a few years. It worked ok but I'd still have breakouts. Perhaps this new regime is a shock to the skin on my face because its a sudden change of product.

Thanks for your concern also :)

Okay, so do I just wash my face with water for now? (in the evenings/mornings)

Thanks for the advice, sorry if I'm a pain :D

Okay, so do I just wash my face with water for now? (in the evenings/mornings)

Thanks for the advice, sorry if I'm a pain :D

Either that or just a very gentle cleanser, like a baby wash or something. Dan's cleanser is gentle so when it arrives you should be able to use it.

And don't worry, you aren't a pain. That's what we're here for. :angel: