Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
understanding

My son just started Accutane. Please read on >>

My son just started taking Accutane (20mgs) and it's been a few days and he's feeling really optimistic.

If it's not asking too much, what are some helpful products for those of you who have been on Accutane?

Also, he will be on this medication for a long time (more than 6 months) and I was wondering if he has to worry about acne while he is on the medication? Some of the products he was told to use seem very thick and emollient...seem like they would be counterproductive, you know?

He's already seeing some progress, some small pimples have emerged but the ones that were already there are drying up. No real side effects yet though. (Like dry lips, etc.)

I feel horrible about this because apparently his acne (mostly on his body) was bothering him and I had no idea...cut to a week later and he's on this. I feel terrible.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

I am new to the forum and I already see a lot of posts and information that I will definitely have to read...I'm so glad to have found this website! (With the help of an awesome MUA member!!! Thanks to her if she's reading!)

Thanks everyone!

Kathryn

get him aquaphor and chapstick, i used cetaphil moisturizer and cleanser while i was on it and it worked well. also, dr. dan's cortibalm was good too.

get him aquaphor and chapstick, i used cetaphil moisturizer and cleanser while i was on it and it worked well. also, dr. dan's cortibalm was good too.

+1

Also, don't worry about stuff being too emollient. At some point during his treatment, he'll be able to slather on motor oil with nary a zit as a result. Accutane is THAT good.

Platinum

Agreed.

A good moisturizer, & deffo some lipbalm, not sure how bad the lips will be on 20mg, I was on 60mg & they never cracked but now & again when i forgot my lipbalm they'd be very dry & quite red cause i'd be licking them..

i suffered from everyday nosebleeds, i didn't need to touch my nose for it to bleed & when it did it took a fair while before it stopped, my nose was quite sore, had alot of scabs up it, but my derm gave me some drops called 'Betnesol' which i'd put up my nose morning & night & it really worked well, she also said that when you have a spot you can drop a bit on & it'd take the redness out :)

Tell him good luck, It'll clear him right up, I many times thought it was a waste of time (even 4 days before coming off my 4 month course I broke out, & thought it was all a waste of time, but i can safely say this is the best drug for acne ever, fact.) :)

Thanks SO much everyone, this is incredibly helpful!!!

He's doing really good actually. Only mild purging but his skin looks better already. Something about not being so oily makes his skin tone seem more even.

I was hesitant about Accutane but I'm coming around...hard not to when I see his skin changing this fast.

Thanks again everyone. :)