Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcneNinja

Minocycline/Doxycycline Longest time used?

What is the longest amount of time u have used Minocyline or Doxycycline? Example like months, years, ect.

I read some guy on here used Mino for 12 years and possibly counting which is amazing since supposedly the antibiotics will eventually stop working for you.

Also for those who have used either for let's say more than 3 years straight have u experienced any side effects and if so what?

Lastly, If u have used either for a certain amount of time has either of them stopped working for u and if so did u try switching to the other one with any success?

thank you.

I was on minocycline for 5 years. (2 pills a day) Then my dermatologist switched me to doxycycline which i have been on for 1.5 years. I eventually tapered down to 50mg doxy every other day. I'm not sure i'll be able to taper much more from that, because I'm breaking out the longer I go without it.

The medication works great. But I'm concerned about how safe it is to continue on tetracyclines for such an extended period of time.

I never had much in the line of side-effects. The minocycline made my joints ache at first, which went away after a few days.

I was on minocycline for 5 years. (2 pills a day) Then my dermatologist switched me to doxycycline which i have been on for 1.5 years. I eventually tapered down to 50mg doxy every other day. I'm not sure i'll be able to taper much more from that, because I'm breaking out the longer I go without it.

The medication works great. But I'm concerned about how safe it is to continue on tetracyclines for such an extended period of time.

I never had much in the line of side-effects. The minocycline made my joints ache at first, which went away after a few days.

I've been using tetracycline 500mg twice a day for about 20 days now. I really don't want to be on this for longer than 2 months, to be honest.

there are 2 different schools of thought when it comes to treating acne with antibiotics. some doctors think it is better to only use antibiotics in maybe 1-2 month spurts when the acne flares up badly, or during the initiation of a new topical treatment. and some doctors prefer using antibiotics continuously to treat acne, they both have benefits and drawbacks. continual use is better for clearing the acne and keeping it away, but has a higher risk for side effects, while intermittent use has a lower risk for side effects, it won't continually control the acne.

generally though if you are put on an antibiotic for acne, you need to keep taking it for a long time.

I was on doxycycline for 5 years. I pop one into my mouth everyday and it did kept me clear.I had no side effects with doxy. The only thing I have is that sometimes I get nausea when I take doxy without food. However recently, doxy died on me and my doc tried minocycline on me. Minocycline was good but it gave me terrible headaches so I have no choice but to give it up. Now currently on birth control dianette and hoping for the best.