Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Started taking roaccutane today :shifty: 60mg per day (3 x 20mg), took my first 3 with food tonight, I really duno whether its better to take it morning or evening so i just went for evening cos i eat a better meal at night than at breakfast! The derm consultant said to take it with milk so i guess i ll do that in future too.

This log is mainly to help me track my own progress but maybe it'll be helpful to be others once im finished (if i make it through alive :D), but before that I have a few questions that can hopefully be answered on here:

first off, has anyone had much experience with smoking cannabis while on roaccutane? I've tried researching it but nothing really conclusive comes up except for "use at your own risk", nothing explaining how the 2 drugs interact or anything useful.

second, I have heard you get drunk through a lot less drinks while on the drug, so does this mean cheap nights out or just don't drink at all? I can go without alcohol for 4 months without too much second thought but end of uni exams will definately be a time for a drink or two, just wondering if getting hammered the one off will destroy my insides?

I'm sure i ll think of a load more later, those will do for now :D Overall i'm just glad to be started... my friend mentioned this facewash thing the other day that apparently cleared his skin totally and another friend of his' , I started thinking maybe I should try that but then I realised if it didn't work id be right back to square one and pissed off that I didn't take the roaccutane when I could've done! It seems like its a pretty big deal so it put me off a little, but most people seem to make it through fine so heres to hoping :cool:

anyway onto the main stuff (pretty pointless right now but i ll go for it anyway =p)

day 1

dropped the 3 pills a few hours ago! surprisingly enough feeling no different to normal apart from a slightly dodgy feeling stomach and a strange urge to drink the beer thats in the fridge! then again thats a nono on this, thennnn again maybe it wont make a difference seeing as its only my first day =P.

thats enough typing for now, good luck to everyone else in this shit situation at the moment! :)

oh forgot, 'regimen' thing:

nivea soap and fragrance free facewash + eucerin 5% urea morning and night. nothing too complicated, I reckon its better to not put too much crap on my skin while its gone be in such a fragile condition!

also considering getting vitamin E supplements but i've heard mixed reviews so i'll wait and see how the side effects hit me.

Heya ensierum

Goodluck!!

Vitamins are ok but i dont take them at all and things seem to be going fine... so u might not need them. its only a few months then u back to normal with clear skin of course...

All the best!!

cheers!

day 3

not a lot different to report..

played football and am kind of achey in one leg but thats probly nothing to do with the drug, done a total of 120mg now.. guess it starts to kick in in a few days time!

day 4

broke out a little just left of my mouth today, probably because i only washed my face with water as i was too tired when i got in last night... also forgot to take yesterdays tablets till 1am this morning =X.

No signs of side effects yet, fingers crossed it doesn't worsen too much!

day 8

lips have been a little dry, nothing extreme or painful though, skin hasn't been particularly dry so far either. broke out 2 pretty painful spots under my nose today, again nothing too bad!

When do the proper side effects normally kick in??

also is eucerin 5% urea moisturiser OK to use on accutane? or if not then cetaphil spf15?

cheers!

day 11

think the initial breakout has hit. 4 new whiteheads, not too painful though.. not like i havent had a breakout before! Skin feels pretty tight but not unbearable by any means, skin hasnt been that dry either. Lips are pretty dry, but not dry to the point they bleed like other people say :S hope its actually working =X

gonna try and stay positive as long as the end result is good i'll endure whatever happens through it!

thanks daren :)

day 14 - 2 weeks

2 Week mark and i'm not dead yet ;) Bit worried cos i can't get hold of the initial blood test results but i feel well enough so i dont think the drug is having any bad reactions on my liver or anything.

Lips are a little uncomfortably dry, face is dry round my mouth/the edge of my nose but nothing moisturiser can't fix.

Haven't broken out for the past few days and skin is looking a little calmer after the IB! Felt pretty depressed a couple days ago but forced myself to take stuff more positively and am feeling a lot more proactive about stuff now :D

Congrats on reaching the 2 week mark! I will be there in a few days. So far I've had a pretty bad initial breakout which I THINK (hope) is calming down now. I also raised my dose from 30mg to 60mg yesterday.

I'm sure your liver will handle the drug just fine. Just try not to put any more pressure on it with other things like Tylenol or Alocohol or anything that relies on the liver too much.

Anyway, hopefully you're over the IB stage as well... and hopefully you start to clear from here on out. Quick question though... how bad was your acne before you started treatment? Good luck!!!

hey simo, im sure your initial breakout will calm down now your body is adjusting to the drug!

My acne was pretty bad (dunno if u call it cystic or nodular) + a lot of redmarking before i started... but actually the week before i was due to start i got realllly bad sunburn on holiday and after the sunburn went my skin looked 10 times better! (not clear obviously)... that said i dont recommend getting sunburn to fix it lol :P.

I generally get it around my jawline and mouth/chin, forehead and cheek area tend to stay clear luckily!

good luck with your accutane course :)

day 20

Skin hasn't gotten noticably better but it hasn't gotten worse either! it's good not to have that crap feeling in the morning when you can FEEL you've broken out, just puts a downer on the whole day!

Gonna organise a blood test I think because noone seems to know where the results of my initial one have gone lol =/

Got so much to do in the next month or two aswell, job interviews, 2nd year uni exams, i guess picked the wrong time to do this drug :D Just wanta get it over with though!

Ddi your acne end up getting worse again after your sunburn subsided? From what I hear, a tan/sunburn ends up making your skin look much better in the short term but it eventually makes you breakout even more... Did that happen to you?

Well it did definately get worse after it got better.. But i put that down to the IB of roaccutane, probably a combination. When i was sunburnt my skin was just immensely dry, like even moisturiser didn't get rid of the dryness so i guess thats why it cleared up because very little oil was being produced.

It makes sense though, sunburn really dries your skin so after it goes your body has to work overtime to rehydrate it by producing sebum or whatever, so you breakout again after the sunburn has gone!

day 34

acne has kind of gotten a little worse recently. Got a small cyst on my cheek, and skin is looking pretty red... must be all this exam stress!

Played football a couple times and ached reallllly badly after it, also ached after just doing pressups and situps, but its bearable :)

not much more to add right now.

day 49

Been smoking a lot of weed recently, plus some trippy drugs the other day which maybe i shouldntve done when on roaccutane, had me a little worried and made the trip less fun but oh well. Also in the past 2 weeks i've had a few beers (4 pints at most in one evening), doesn't seem to have had a detrimental affect on my skin though, cant speak for the liver but all feels ok physically touch wood! :)

Skin-wise, I haven't broken out recently, I think maybe it's improved but nothing amazingly noticeable... still feels really good to wake up and know you havent had a breakout though :D

Dunno if the accutane is fucking with my head or not but i have felt very up and down the past few days/week... after i finished my exams which i really managed to motivate myself for (for most of them anyway), my motivation just seemed to drain away (I spose I need another 'purpose' or goal to go towards! I'll try to keep happy though, it's all about positive thoughts after all! :)

Gona lay off smoking any weed or drinking for quite a while now, my diet has been pretty unhealthy during this exam term so I need to give my body something decent and a break from all the poisons of alcohol and weed, doesn't bother me too much anyway seeing as I dont do either that heavily..

Well.. theres my thoughts for the day :D hopefully everyone else in the same boat is feeling good about getting through the course and getting clear :D

day 64

been feeling pretty down and unmotivated recently :(

dont know if its the drug or what but I have so much stuff to do so need to sort myself out! skin is looking better slowly, feels much smoother too!

not much else to add just a short update to keep this thing up, past the halfway mark so its all downhill from now on :D