Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
saveontextbooks

For those with Cystic Acne- did you ever have the chicken pox as a child?

Hello all,

I had suffered from severe cystic acne which was thankfully cleared by accutane. I have noticed that a few people that suffered from this condition did NOT have chicken pox as a child...I did not have chicken pox either and was vaccinated to prevent myself from ever getting it. I just wanted to see if there was any sort of connection here. Please do share if you had chicken pox as a child and if you have cystic/or very resistant acne.

Thanks!!

The chicken pox vaccine has only been available around 12 years or so (since 1995, I believe). It's a relatively new "invention".

Cystic acne has been around for much longer than that. ;)

Yes I know that- but I wanted to know if individuals that suffer from cystic acne had chicken pox as a child. I know several patients that did not have chicken pox as a child (despite the vaccine not existing) and have suffered from extremely resistant acne. While this is just what I observed in one practice- I wanted to see if any other individuals had a similar experience :)

The chicken pox vaccine has only been available around 12 years or so (since 1995, I believe). It's a relatively new "invention".

Cystic acne has been around for much longer than that. ;)

i did have chicken pox. i'm sure there is no correlation. chicken pox is a virus. acne has nothing to do with viral infection.

I had chicken pox as a kid. Pretty badly, actually. Then sophmore year I was blessed with cystic acne as well :angry: . So if there's a connection, I missed it completely... ah well... thanks goodness for accutane.

i got hte pox wen i was like 12 months old. so i never scratched and had almost no scars from the pox. i started breaking out like a mofo when i hit puberty and it subsided a bit since then. now its the occasion zits and cysts i get triggered from stress, lack of sleep, and not being able to get back in the regimen in time. I.E, workin long hours or party so hard i forgot.

Never had chicken pox, had the vaccine, and have been suffering from cystic acne for all of my teenage years and still going.

i had chicken pox; i have cystic acne. not sure that means anything, but it's possible... kep researching.

There's no connection there. Sorry. I had an extreme case of chicken pox when I was 10 and I have bad acne. My sister never had chicken pox and she has always had clear skin.

I had chicken pox (25 years later still have the scars to prove it) and had moderate to severe cystic acne.

Had chicken pox, have cystic acne. I believe cystic acne is a case of too much testosterone

in both males and females-period. Why is it that the pill Yasmin has cured most women on

here and so has spirolactone (testosterone reducer). It is a hormone imbalance. Most

guys that get cystic type are thin and high strung. I am a woman and thin and high strung.

Please read the research all over the web on hormonal acne. There's plenty of data and

research. The prob is the derms are having problems prescribing a birthcontrol pill out of

sheer fear of lawsuits from other problems that can happen with the pill. Then they are

timid to put young men on spirolactone ( a mild diuretic that reduces testosterone as well

but wasn't originally made for that). So the derms are just treating the symptoms with

antibiotics and washes plus Retin A fo unplug pores. i honestly believe that from what i

read the spirolactone is a better cure than Accutane!

Guest j3ff86

I had chicken pox twice (how is that even possible?!) and have acne.