Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purplesoccershoe

HELP! How do I afford Accutane without insurance???

Hey all... I'm on student health insurance and it SUCKS. It doesn't cover ANY acne treatment whatsoever. I was on Accutane about 10 years ago and knew I'd eventually have to take another round. This is a good time in my personal/professional life to take it and deal with the side effects, however, I simply CANNOT shell out the $600/month it's going to cost for the drugs, Dr's appointments, bloodwork, pregnancy tests (which are f***ing RETARDED because I'm a lesbian... but... *sigh*), etc.

I'm really uncertain about buying the stuff online, and I've already STARTED my first month of treatment with my doctor. But, I wondered if anyone had any info on how to make this stuff affordable??? I'm a student with NO income other than loans. So is there anything? Medicade? Supplemental health insurance? High deductable health insurance? Prescription discount programs? ANYTHING??? There is SO much info out there about supplemental health insurance programs that I don't even know where to START.

Thanks so much...

Jaime

You should get the generic kind.. way cheaper and same stuff. I have no health insurance and thats what I gotta do.. its like 300 dollars a month, even cheaper if you get it from canada.

i heard that roche removed their generic from their list of covered drugs?? their office is closed right now, so i guess i'll have to call tomorrow to find out for sure... are you using their program?

yeah, i got my first month prescription of claravis, which was through barr, not roche. mine is 40mg twice a day, so that was like $259 for a month's supply. still far better than what the name brand would be... but come on... who can afford $259 PLUS the $400 in doctor's visits, bloodwork, and pregnancy tests?!?

i heard that roche removed their generic from their list of covered drugs?? their office is closed right now, so i guess i'll have to call tomorrow to find out for sure... are you using their program?

i have student insurance as well. i went to a dermatologist, and then got a big bill in the mail from the derm saying that my insurance doesn't cover acne treatments. thankfully, my school changed their insurance plan and now covers my derm visits and accutane.

you may want to talk to someone at your school about what exactly your insurance will cover. this may be a nurse or some schools have university doctors. see if they can help you figure out a way around it.

also, you may want to see if you can find a family doctor (internist, general practitioner, etc) that is registered with ipledge and see if your insurance will cover these doctor visits.

try to check out individual health insurance plans for students. a friend of mine does freelance work and told me that he pays about $275/month for his insurance (not sure what exactly is covers). you can try to go this route also, saying that you do some type of freelance work.

good luck!