Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dingdingding

a quick question about laser treatment for scars

hey guys, does excess laser treatment have any long term negative effects on your skin? does it affect its texture, elasticity..etc. I've just gone through a round (5 times) of Lyra laser to remove some of the dark spots/ice pick scars. I'm seeing some good results and I'd like to keep going. But I've heard some people say that too much laser isnt good for your skin in the long run. Does anyone have any idea? thanks in advance

don't really know anything about that perticular laser, but I have read that anytime you split cells in order to regrow them (ie thru peels, laser etc) it speeds up the aging process. However, I think that if I ever came to the point where I had to choose between aging and scars, hyperpigmentation, and what not, I would have to side for trying to get rid of the scars and just say I'm going to get older one way or the other so, that's all I know. You should probably just ask your dr.

Unhappenstance, I've heard the same thing, that every mitotic division increases the probability of mutations in the DNA and each division shortens chromosomes' telomeres, causing cell death and aging. Having been born with shortened telomeres resulted in Dolly the cloned sheep's earlier than normal death.

hey guys, does excess laser treatment have any long term negative effects on your skin? does it affect its texture, elasticity..etc. I've just gone through a round (5 times) of Lyra laser to remove some of the dark spots/ice pick scars. I'm seeing some good results and I'd like to keep going. But I've heard some people say that too much laser isnt good for your skin in the long run. Does anyone have any idea? thanks in advance

I was worried about that too; mainly reports of some individuals having fat loss in their cheeks from lasers such as Thermage and N-Lite. But I also am starting to really doubt the effectiveness of laser on acne scars in general; unless you do it at a really high setting you probably won't see any noticeable differences. I've had two non-ablative lasers for my acne scars to date and neither one yielded any real noticeable improvement.

don't really know anything about that perticular laser, but I have read that anytime you split cells in order to regrow them (ie thru peels, laser etc) it speeds up the aging process. However, I think that if I ever came to the point where I had to choose between aging and scars, hyperpigmentation, and what not, I would have to side for trying to get rid of the scars and just say I'm going to get older one way or the other so, that's all I know. You should probably just ask your dr.

I've already asked my dermatologist for potential negative effects of Lyra laser but he said it's absolutely safe to use. He didn't mention anything about speeding up the process of aging. I dont really believe what he says though, I know he's been wrong on a few other occasions. I highly doubt he was lying but maybe he just wasn't aware of all the possibilities?

Where did you guys read about this? Can you guys give me a link?

I think a lot of times drs are aware of "possible" complications but aren't going to tell you what could happen because they are afraid of scaring you away from what really could help you. What you have to ask yourself is if the positives outweigh the negatives. And what I said earlier is really only heresay, I dont have scientific evidence, but I read a thread with an aritcle about it, although one scientific study doesn't mean that it is fact or proven. Your gut feeling is usually right, if you don't trust your dr. find one you do trust. there are a lot of them out there. I want to look up the lyra laser because I know nothing about it.