Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnygirl

Anyone have an initial breakout with spiro?

Hi ladies,

I was wondering if anyone experienced an IB from spiro when they first started taking it. It's only been 10 days....3 days at 100mg, and my skin is breaking out kinda badly. I know it takes 2-4 months to see results, but does it flare before it gets better? Ths typically happens to me when I start BCP, I break out badly before it calms down. I'm feeling really down, anxious and fearful that it won't help :cry: Any advice or reassurance would be great.

Okay, I'll answer my own question. Just came back from the derm and she said that experiencing a flare or initial breakout with any acne treatment, hormonal or not, is completely normal. I told her about this sight and how some women see results and have clear skin in two weeks and she was really amazed at that. She said that just like the pill, or accutane, or topical, acne will get worse in some people before it gets better.

She also gave me 4 months of minocycline to help me deal with this disgusting breakout until the spiro kicks in. If the acne comes back bad when I'm off minocycline and spiro isn't holding up my skin through all of that, then I will be taking accutane again in the fall. ROUND # 6! I must admit though, one of those courses was only 2 months long, just enough to get me clear for prom way back when, so it would actually, technically be ROUND #5! Oh my god, what have I become? I hope spiro works.

I also just commented on your other spiro thread.

Im sorry youre bumming girl :( I dont really know how to reassure you about the spiro because Ive never been on it but you know we are all here to support you. I hope your acne gets better soon!

Thought I'd update you all on my spiro journey,

It's now been two weeks on spiro, 1 week at 100mg, and my skin is still CRAPtacular! I've been re-reading the 28 pages of the spiro thread and it made me really nervous. There are a lot of women who experienced a horrible cystic initial breakout like me, and for some of them it only got worse. I couldn't fall asleep last night because I was stressing about my skin wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I have huge cysts: one on the left side of my chin, one on the right corner by my mouth, one on my neck, one on my forhead, not to mention about three that I picked already on my chin and cheeks. I've been crying a lot the past few days because of it and I wonder how I'm going to cover it with make-up every morning.

On a positive note, lots of women on the thread and in the treatment ratings section do say spiro will break you horribly before you get better and that after three to four months skin improves. That gives me hope. Also, it worked for a friend of mine who had horrible acne on her cheeks and it only started to clear after three months.

I do also have other hormonal imbalance symptoms besides acne and oily skin such as thinning hair and facial hair, so I'm hoping this works. My derm also gave me three months of minocycline to help with this breakout. It's been three days, but I'm still getting new spots.

I guess if this doesn't work by the fall I will have to go on accutane again. I really hope it doesn't come to that because it's always been a temporary fix.....my acne always comes back. If anyone has similar experiences with spiro, or has any encouragement for me, that would be great. I'm really lonely since my anxiety is in full tilt because of this. Thanks.

Thought I'd update you all on my spiro journey,

It's now been two weeks on spiro, 1 week at 100mg, and my skin is still CRAPtacular! I've been re-reading the 28 pages of the spiro thread and it made me really nervous. There are a lot of women who experienced a horrible cystic initial breakout like me, and for some of them it only got worse. I couldn't fall asleep last night because I was stressing about my skin wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I have huge cysts: one on the left side of my chin, one on the right corner by my mouth, one on my neck, one on my forhead, not to mention about three that I picked already on my chin and cheeks. I've been crying a lot the past few days because of it and I wonder how I'm going to cover it with make-up every morning.

On a positive note, lots of women on the thread and in the treatment ratings section do say spiro will break you horribly before you get better and that after three to four months skin improves. That gives me hope. Also, it worked for a friend of mine who had horrible acne on her cheeks and it only started to clear after three months.

I do also have other hormonal imbalance symptoms besides acne and oily skin such as thinning hair and facial hair, so I'm hoping this works. My derm also gave me three months of minocycline to help with this breakout. It's been three days, but I'm still getting new spots.

I guess if this doesn't work by the fall I will have to go on accutane again. I really hope it doesn't come to that because it's always been a temporary fix.....my acne always comes back. If anyone has similar experiences with spiro, or has any encouragement for me, that would be great. I'm really lonely since my anxiety is in full tilt because of this. Thanks.

I am almost at the three week mark with spiro, and my skin is AWFUL. Pretty much the worst it ever was, and my skin wasn't even THAT horrible before spiro, just getting worse again. Now I don't know if this is spiro or if my skin was just going back into regression or something. But I feel like it MUST be the spiro. I'm so worried that it's going to get even WORSE than this, and I haven't heard that many people talk about getting IBs on spiro. I'm getting really painful cysts again, like before I went on birthcontrol. And alot around my chin and jawline. I feel miserable and I'm afraid I'll never find anything that works. I guess I just have to hope that this gets better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I'm just finishing my second week of spiro and my first week of minocycline. My skin is improving and clearing up thanks to the minocycline.For the past few days I have stopped getting huge red bumps and cysts, but I'm still dealing with the past breakout and what's left. I still have red painful bumps on my temples, one on my cheek, jawline, and neck and a cyst that is taking forever to heal on my chin, but everything is healing and going down. That breakout was severe and I cried everyday.

My derm put me on minocycline for three months (100mg once a day) to help prevent any more breakouts while spiro is doing it's thing. I'm hoping that once I dose down on the mino (I won't stop cold turkey....I learned my lesson the hard way last time) the breakouts won't come back **fingers crossed** I am less oily and my shoulders are clearing up. I'm not looking for perfect skin, I just don't want to breakout like I used to. I'd be elated if I only got a pimple or two every week unlike my typical 10-12. I'm 31 and I also have thinning hair and facial hair on my chin, so I know I also have other hormonal issues that spiro should help me with.

I'll keep you all updated....hopefully no more cysts? Good luck to all my spiro sisters!