Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CB07

Whey Protein

you shouldn't always have to search for everything you can still ask and get new peoples' opinions, of course all the archives are fantastic (i'm still wading through) but things change and it's always good to get new perspectives on things! :D

i used it a few years back i found it had no impact on my acne - didn't help but more importantly didn't hinder! hope that was a bit of help lol.

x

I think its either the ecezma or the whey protein that is causing to me breakout.

I take four scoops of whey protein(48 g protein) daily.

In 2005, I started working out and using whey protein. There was no difference in my skin.

yes! whey protein made me break out for the 1st time in my life (i was 22) and my skin was never the same. i took this 2 years ago and im still breaking out. i regret the day i started taking whey. I also think it has something to do w/ the skim milk that i was taking... arghhhhhh

I dont believe this BS about dairy causing acne.. MAYBE the lactose sugar or the saturated hard fats in dairy products effects you but ive been eating fatless yogurt every morning and im fine...

I used to take whey and that didnt have any effect.. if anything protein should be good for your skin repair.

Anyone know what can be the cause?

it's dairy based.

There are a few studies linking dairy to acne.

The only way you'll really know is to stop using it and see if the breakouts subside, then reintroduce it again when you are clear and see what happens.

I used to think that whey broke me out. I was getting some of the worst breakouts of my life when i first started using whey protein. I quit, and the the breakouts lessened, however they were still there. Later on I started up whey again and my skin didn't get any worse. Are you sure whey is the only variable causing your breakouts, or could it be attributed to something else?

i think i have narrowed down my acne reason to inflammation and thick sebum production which together mean clogged pores --> bacterial infection

taking way for a few months now and i don't notice any adverse reaction when consuming it, whether mixed into oatmeal or mixed into some drink

no inflammation, dizziness, etc.

and i thought the reason most people think their acne is increased by dairy is due to the iodine (which seems insignificant compared to iodized salt intake) and growth hormones from the cows (isn't this relatively small as well ?)

Guest therustyspoon6

I take whey, just one scoop a day...I dont think it's related to my acne though. Just curious, what brand of why are you guys taking? I use optimum nutrition's whey, which seems to be the most popular and best quality. Maybe the cheaper brands can cause breakouts?

One more thing - If you guys are taking whey protein, I think it's probably a good bet that you are doing body building/weight lifting like I am. Doing heavy lifts like squats, bench presses, deadlifts, ect. are known to help the entire body grow muscles because they cause your body to release muscle-building hormones. The same hormones that can cause acne. So maybe it is the weightlifting that causing your breakouts?

If you dont take whey because of lifting, just ignore all that lol.

I use whey protein and it doesn't break me out. My belief is that acne is all about hormones. For some people, the act of lifting makes them break out, because lifting weights promotes testosterone production. There some evidence that its the cow hormones present in milk which can act like testosterone on the skin and increase sebum production. If the hormones are the cause for most people, than as long as its milkfat free it should be ok. It is possible that the lactose causes it for some, because lactose can spike insulin real fast as well. But usually lactose intolerance expresses itself in otherways instead. Some people feel that it is the protein itself and that its not digestible by some people, but that is the least credible. I take 2-4 scoops a day and it hasn't triggered my acne.

from http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/news15-pcos-acne.html

Acne may be caused in large part by the male hormone 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone, which turns on oil-making cells in the skin of both men and women. Cow’s milk contains 5 alpha-reduced steroids and other hormones that can be broken down to dihydrotestosterone. The enzymes necessary to convert the hormones to dihydrotestosterone are present in your oil glands.

These hormones in cow’s milk are particularly high in pregnant cows, which make up 75%-90% of the dairy milk market. High milk intake has been shown to increase blood levels of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). High IGF-1 levels are believed to promote acne through hyperkeratinization, a multiplication of skin cells associated with acne.

In a study of 6,500 adolescent offspring from the Nurses’ Health Study II, results showed a significant positive association between milk consumption and acne. The relationship was independent of the fat content of the milk.

Other foods with a positive association included milk-based instant breakfast drinks, sherbet, cottage cheese and cream cheese, but not other dairy foods or foods such as french fries, chocolate candy or pizza.

According to Dr. William Danby, a dermatologist who spoke at the Atlantic Dermatological Conference, “Milk is designed to make things grow. Human beings are the only animal to continue to drink milk beyond infancy, and it is not even the milk of our own species. Young growing humans need milk from pregnant cows just as much as young growing cows need milk from pregnant humans - not at all.â€

It made me break out a little actually when I used it for a week. Dairy doesn't make up a big part of my diet. Instead of whey, I use Rainbow Light's Protein Powder, which gets its protein from brown rice. According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman, it's best to avoid dairy, and I've heard bad things about whey proteins.

I went to the naturopath and was tested for food sensitivities. They found that I was sensitive to Milk Whey.

They also found many other things I was sensitive to-- linseed oil, wool, etc.

Maybe have yourself tested for food sensitivities?

I was taking whey protein for five days then stopped because I started to get lots of pimples.

When a couple days past I'd seen my skin started to get clear.

I was taking whey protein for five days then stopped because I started to get lots of pimples.

Sounds like you might have been reacting to it. Luckily there are other protein powders. I'd steer clear of isolated soy protein though. I really like the brown rice protein drink I mentioned above. Good luck! :)

Sounds like you might have been reacting to it. Luckily there are other protein powders. I'd steer clear of isolated soy protein though. I really like the brown rice protein drink I mentioned above. Good luck! :)

yes! whey protein made me break out for the 1st time in my life (i was 22) and my skin was never the same. i took this 2 years ago and im still breaking out. i regret the day i started taking whey. I also think it has something to do w/ the skim milk that i was taking... arghhhhhh

if you're still breaking out 2 years after taking whey protein, then thats not whats causing your break outs.

the only possibility that whey protein may cause acne is if you're allergic to it. whey protein is found in all sorts of foods including meats. and like i said earlier, protein helps repair skin cells.