Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ravenshield

raaaazorbumbs....

For some reason everytime I shave I get razorbumbs on my neck and am trying to figure out why. well here are the questions that I really need to get answered on. Also another thing thats reeeealy cool about me is i can actually control my breakouts!!! yea thats right control my breakouts....I can create a breakout by shaving...within a day or 2 from shaving i get a pretty bad breakout consisting of razorbumbs and whiteheads, also when i do not shave and let my facial hair grow out a bit also comes another breakout aaaand to add on top of that something i cannot control is the usuall breakout that occurs once every 2 weeks...yea its like writing it on a calendar...hmmm i think this coming tuesday im due for another appointment with this guy called mr.breakout!!!.....yes im a very sarcastic person when it comes to acne but im a 3 year acne sufferer and been through lots and lots of Rx meds and over the counter and am gonna try dan kerns regime once the products come in the mail.

1. what are these things called razorbumbs?

2. is it an infection and if so anyway to treat them?

3. how to prevent razorbumbs?

-thanks everyone :surprised:

Well idk WTf those razer bumps are..but i know how to stop the break outs after you shave....

First off just shave like normal...after that let your face dry and apply BP in the entire area were you shaved, minus the areas where you do not break out...only apply BP to the area you shaved that will breakout...let it stay on for 10 mins, then apply a moisturizer over the BP...do not wash it off.

You're breaking out because of irritation and spread bacteria...so you need to kill the bacteria...AKA BP will do that...you also need to calm the irritation...the moisturizer will do that...

solved.

razorbumbs i get generally on my neck after i shave, its not a pimple or cyst but acts like one and takes about a week to go away, they really suck and more research should be made to help explain it better. and 'shaving with the grain' sucks too cause it doesnt make the skin as smooth as when you shave oppsite the grain too, well shaving with the grain doesnt make ur skin smooth at all casue you can still feel the prickly hairs sticking out when you run your hands up your face :doubt: and i use a 4 blade razor....i can just imagine what the recommended 2 blade razor can do :wacko: haha one time i had a dream that there was a vaccine to cure acne...dang what a goood dream that was, it was like the mother of all antibiotics and would kill off all P. acnes in sight for the rest of your life...but anyways its weird the pimples after i shave are different than regular pimples, there super tiny and stick out more than regular and dont pop normally and idk my skin becomes super dry after shaving with a sensitive shaving gel...my face would be peeling after I put BP on it but ill give it a try thx

The 4 blade razor could be the problem. The more blades on a razor, the higher chance for razorbumps. You need to get a single blade razor. Preferably a dual edge safety razor is best. Shave with the grain. DO NOT stretch your skin. DO NOT press the blade hard into your skin. An exfoliant afterwards can also help like salicylic acid or an AHA (lactic/glycolic acid).

You can also look up Pseudofolliculitis barbae, which is probably what you have.

We always called it "razorburn." I'm a girl, but I do get it on my legs when shaving if I don't take some precautions which might work for you too:

(1) Make sure your skin is damp and soft before shaving. Maybe soak a washcloth in tepid water first and thoroughly dampen your skin

(2) Exfoliation is important. I know shaving is a kind of exfoliation itself, but guys tend to have thicker skin than us girls so take that warm washcloth and gently exfoliate before you apply shave gel.

(3) I agree with the razor suggestion. More blades = a closer shave, but also more irritation.

(4) Rinse reALLy well and apply a soothing alcohol-free after shave. I don't think b.p. will help much with razorbumps.

Clinique has some really cool looking shaving stuff for men; check it out, maybe get something similar?

Good luck, Hope I helped. I am married by the way, so do know a little bout my husband's shaving practices :lol:

To avoid shaving rash you need to make sure you're shaving properly!

- Try and only ever shave after a warm shower. The warm water softens your stubble.

- Find a GOOD shaving foam. I like Nivea's Sensitive Shaving Gel for Men. Take a minute or two to massage it into wet skin thoroughly.

- Always make sure your razor is extremely sharp.

- Shave with the grain wherever possible.

- Apply a non-scented gentle moisturiser after your shave. I like Simple's Sensitive Moisturiser for Men.

norelco smart touch xl electric shaver. at walmart for like 150 bucks. worth every penny. shave only once every 1-2 weeks. moisurize everyday. moisturize before shaving and wait two hours, then shave slowly by dabbing electric shaver so it barely touchs skin. take it slow like an hour or so to shave. still if your try and shave everyday you'll get irritation. every other day is even pushing it. sorry if your on this website shaving everyday with a manual razor is not something your skin can handle. your asking for trouble if you do it.

norelco smart touch xl electric shaver. at walmart for like 150 bucks. worth every penny. shave only once every 1-2 weeks. moisurize everyday. moisturize before shaving and wait two hours, then shave slowly by dabbing electric shaver so it barely touchs skin. take it slow like an hour or so to shave. still if your try and shave everyday you'll get irritation. every other day is even pushing it. sorry if your on this website shaving everyday with a manual razor is not something your skin can handle. your asking for trouble if you do it.

All the advice has been good on this post, but I can just recommend one product which will instantly stop the razor bumps.. tend skin.. it really is that simple. Anyone who has this problem, try using tend skin, it will instantly be cured 100%, fantastic product. Luckily razor bumps is not quite as complicated as acne and other skin conditions. http://www.tendskin.com is the offical company website, its a big product available in most places, liquid is the stuff which works best.

modman

Mmm I never get razor burn. Maybe my skin just does not get it or something. I know I get my face wet with hot water before I shave so maybe that is it. Suggestion is... shave lighter I guess.

I put 100% aloe vera gel to my face as an after shave. Its really nice to put it on the refrigerator so when you apply it is cold and calms down your skin after shaving..

I never had razor bumps but this helps me to control the irritation that shaves do to my active pimples

BYE