Notifications
Clear all

Question About Baby Oil

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/03/2007 11:04 pm

Is baby oil noncomedogenic? Can you put it on pimples and do you think it would help with the painful ozzing of puss?

MemberMember
(@winniemazing)

Posted : 04/03/2007 11:26 pm

it IS non-comedogenic, but i don't think it will help with your pimples. :[ good moisturizer though.

i used to use it as a makeup remover before i washed, but now i don't wear makeup so i don't need it. it didn't break me out.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/03/2007 11:48 pm

it IS non-comedogenic, but i don't think it will help with your pimples. :[ good moisturizer though.

i used to use it as a makeup remover before i washed, but now i don't wear makeup so i don't need it. it didn't break me out.

Which one did you use? Do you remember? My dad bought me this one frm Walgreens. He had originally bought it because I was using Capzasin for my knee pain and it burned my skin

MemberMember
(@winniemazing)

Posted : 04/04/2007 12:11 am

johnson's with aloe and vitamin E.

as long as the main ingredient is mineral oil, though, and there aren't any freaky weird preservatives, you should be fine :]

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/04/2007 12:25 am

johnson's with aloe and vitamin E.

as long as the main ingredient is mineral oil, though, and there aren't any freaky weird preservatives, you should be fine :]

Theres only a few ingredients: Mineral Oil , Aloe Vera Extract , Fragrance , Tocopheryl Vitamin E

MemberMember
(@sadsadsad)

Posted : 04/04/2007 4:36 pm

omg I'd never put baby oil on my face. Straight mineral oil to clog everything up. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@ariventa)

Posted : 04/04/2007 4:55 pm

The fragrance can be irritating. Mineral oil and petrolatum (vaseline) are similar, that's why I recommended Vaseline in your other thread. Try vaseline instead. It is totally non-irritating, non-comedogenic and great for skin. It seals the skin from infection so it helps wounds )in this case, acne) heal faster. It acts sort of like big band-aide over your whole face. It also seals in moisture so it will help keep your skin moisturized. The only downside is that it's a little goopy and shiny so you are probably limited to using it at night or when you are home bound.

Similarly, you can find plenty of OTC moisturizers that contain petrolatum as a principal ingredient which will perform the same actions.

You can just buy the generic Vaseline for a few bucks that will last months. I use it every night and love it. Give it a try.

smythy liked
MemberMember
(@mara89)

Posted : 04/04/2007 6:23 pm

i use baby oil every night and it doesnt clog my pores

u can use to remove make-up, and then wash your face, that's what i do

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/04/2007 10:27 pm

i use baby oil every night and it doesnt clog my pores

u can use to remove make-up, and then wash your face, that's what i do

Ill try that next time

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 04/07/2007 10:09 am

Hi Molly -

I would vote for vaseline over baby oil. My esthetician has her clients use vaseline on areas of their skin that get too flaky or dry, or has you use to to occlude some areas of your face (e.g., smile lines) that are more sensitive to drying acne products. She says it does not block pores.

As to the baby oil - it is true that mineral oil is listed as non-comedogenic. However, I think that the heavy fragrance used in baby oil can be potentially irritating to your skin. I know it seems like a product made for babies should be gentle and non-irritating, but according to people I know who have sensitive skin, that they find baby oil to be an irritant.

Also, what about something like neosporin cream for spot treating? Its antibacterial, helps bring down inflamation, etc.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/07/2007 12:21 pm

Hi Molly -

I would vote for vaseline over baby oil. My esthetician has her clients use vaseline on areas of their skin that get too flaky or dry, or has you use to to occlude some areas of your face (e.g., smile lines) that are more sensitive to drying acne products. She says it does not block pores.

As to the baby oil - it is true that mineral oil is listed as non-comedogenic. However, I think that the heavy fragrance used in baby oil can be potentially irritating to your skin. I know it seems like a product made for babies should be gentle and non-irritating, but according to people I know who have sensitive skin, that they find baby oil to be an irritant.

Also, what about something like neosporin cream for spot treating? Its antibacterial, helps bring down inflamation, etc.

Alright I will do that. Can I use vaseline over oily areas though? Ive seen using the desitin cream and then I wash it off after about fifteen minutes with water and a papertowel. Im staying away from washclothes. What does neosporin cream look like? I only know of the ointment you use on cuts.

I gotta go to work. Ill see you later Kim 😉

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 04/07/2007 6:07 pm

I think you can use the vaseline over oily areas. What are you hoping that the vaseline will do? Are you looking for something to heal your skin, or to hydrate? I'm not clear on what its purpose is in your regimen.

With the neosporin cream - it is also in a tube like the gel. The tube I have is labled "neosporin + pain relief - first aid antibiotic/pain relieving cream". You might ask someone at the drug store if you can't find it. Definitely stay away from the ointment/gel though - it will clog your pores.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/07/2007 9:44 pm

willow569 said:
I think you can use the vaseline over oily areas. What are you hoping that the vaseline will do? Are you looking for something to heal your skin, or to hydrate? I'm not clear on what its purpose is in your regimen.

With the neosporin cream - it is also in a tube like the gel. The tube I have is labled "neosporin + pain relief - first aid antibiotic/pain relieving cream". You might ask someone at the drug store if you can't find it. Definitely stay away from the ointment/gel though - it will clog your pores.

I hoping the vaseline would heal my skin. It is very red and irritated. I have very sensitive skin to. Nothing seems to work :( I have a pimple (dont know what kind it is) thats been there for three weeks and it wont go away! Now I have four I think they are papules all in one area on my chin. They are very red. I tried icing them last night for ten minutes but it didnt do a damn thing

Ill look up on www.walgreens.com the neosporin you are referring to

[Edited link out] Is this the one you are referring to Kim?

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 04/07/2007 9:54 pm

Guacamolly said:
willow569 said:

I hoping the vaseline would heal my skin. It is very red and irritated. I have very sensitive skin to. Nothing seems to work :( I have a pimple (dont know what kind it is) thats been there for three weeks and it wont go away! Now I have four I think they are papules all in one area on my chin. They are very red. I tried icing them last night for ten minutes but it didnt do a damn thing

[Edited link out] Is this the one you are referring to Kim?

Yep - that's the right neosporin. Sorry that the ice didn't work last night! You might try ice again tonight and then in the morning. Taking a couple of Aleve for a few days in a row might help reduce inflamation too.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/07/2007 10:48 pm

willow569 said:
Guacamolly said:
willow569 said:

Yep - that's the right neosporin. Sorry that the ice didn't work last night! You might try ice again tonight and then in the morning. Taking a couple of Aleve for a few days in a row might help reduce inflamation too.

Im scared to take aleve. I took it for a duration of ten days once. If I start taking it again I would become addicted and that could kill me :(

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 04/08/2007 12:04 pm

Guacamolly said:
willow569 said:
Guacamolly said:
willow569 said:

Im scared to take aleve. I took it for a duration of ten days once. If I start taking it again I would become addicted and that could kill me :(

I don't think there's much chance of addiction to Aleve. Long term regular use can lead to gastro-intestinal problems, but taking it for a few days shouldn't be a problem.

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 04/10/2007 8:58 pm

What a good idea. I never thought about baby oil. It sits in my shower, perhaps it would be best? I could even put it on the parts of my body without getting out of the shower to begin with!

Like my back and face... I really hope mineral oil really doesn't clog pores.

MemberMember
(@sugarfreekid)

Posted : 02/04/2020 9:26 pm

I thought it's not really okay for someone to apply baby oil on their face. I guess it's a case-to-case basis since I tried it before and it just clogged my pores.

MemberMember
(@salinas)

Posted : 02/12/2020 6:20 am

mineral oil, or any oil, seals off the skin and may heal it but the downside is that it also seals in everything that is clogging your pores, including the dead skin cells (keratin) that are regardedas responsible foracne