Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MischaLatte

U.T.I's and accutane

So, I've posted about this before, but I wanted to again. I read about them on here that uti's are somewhat common amongst us females taking accutane, but mine isn't going away! I've had this really bad urinary tract infection for like a month now. I've tried the whole three day antibiotic deal, it didn't work so I went to a vitamin store and talked to a woman that worked there, she gave me the natural alternative, that didn't work either. So I went back to the doctor and she gave me a different type of antibiotic (Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate) for 7 days. I'm on my seventh day and it is STILL not gone! I can't believe this. Anyways, it's just as bad as when it started a month ago. What is going on here??

(I've also used AZO pills during this whole thing. Yes, it does work, but once I stop taking them my infection is still there. It relieves/eliminates the symptoms while taking the pills, but it doesn't rid the bacteria/infection, therefore your infection is not gone.)

Please help.

I never had one and I don't know how to get it to go away. But I do know that drinking cranberry juice is very good for a healthy urinary tract. My mom drinks it like it's going out of style when she gets a UTI.

I never had one and I don't know how to get it to go away. But I do know that drinking cranberry juice is very good for a healthy urinary tract. My mom drinks it like it's going out of style when she gets a UTI.

i've usually taken levaquin when i had a uti...have you tried that? if it's not going away, it may be something other than a uti...you might want to check with another doctor...

ok... well, i'm not sure about the Accutane component, but i do know that in order to fight a UTI water is even more important than the cranberry juice. i've had the most success chugging enough water so that i'm peeing at LEAST every 15-20 minutes, if not more often. and then downing a glass of the cranberry every few hours. (like you said, the sugar-free kind; i buy mine at Trader Joe's for $4 a jug, which is the cheapest i've seen it.)

anyway, the whole goal is to process fluids constantly, so that you flush out your system. as i understand it, the acid from the cranberries forces the bacteria to "let go" or "unstick" from the bladder wall, but it's the large amounts of water that really flushes things out.

a couple more things:

• don't substitute more cranberry instead of the water... you really do need both.
  • don't go crazy and drink way more water than your body can handle... a few months ago i read an article about a woman dying from water overdose! :doh:
  • minimize your sugar intake as much as humanly possible -- the bacteria feed on sugar! of all kinds, not just refined. so -- NO refined sugar (cookies, cake, candy, etc.), NO fruit juices, NO fruit, NO sweet sauces or salad dressings. look at all ingredient labels... even innocent-looking items like soy milk have a substantial amount of sugar in each serving (7 grams) if you don't buy unsweetened.

--> it's really cool, actually. if the bacteria have nothing to eat, they can't survive/multiply. lol.. seems so basic, but i love it. :D

a month is a really long time to have this continue. honestly at this point your bladder might simply be irritated. this happened to me once -- i had all the symptoms of a UTI, so i started chugging the c-juice & water, peeing every 15 minutes for days.... until i finally got my lab results from the doctor and it turned out i didn't even have any bacteria present. :doh: i had actually created the irritation/pain/urinary frequency myself, through trying to treat it. anyway, my point is i would return to the doctor now and re-test. your last visit was 7 days ago, right?

good luck... keep us posted! :)

ok... well, i'm not sure about the Accutane component, but i do know that in order to fight a UTI water is even more important than the cranberry juice. i've had the most success chugging enough water so that i'm peeing at LEAST every 15-20 minutes, if not more often. and then downing a glass of the cranberry every few hours. (like you said, the sugar-free kind; i buy mine at Trader Joe's for $4 a jug, which is the cheapest i've seen it.)

anyway, the whole goal is to process fluids constantly, so that you flush out your system. as i understand it, the acid from the cranberries forces the bacteria to "let go" or "unstick" from the bladder wall, but it's the large amounts of water that really flushes things out.

a couple more things:

• don't substitute more cranberry instead of the water... you really do need both.
  • don't go crazy and drink way more water than your body can handle... a few months ago i read an article about a woman dying from water overdose! :doh:
  • minimize your sugar intake as much as humanly possible -- the bacteria feed on sugar! of all kinds, not just refined. so -- NO refined sugar (cookies, cake, candy, etc.), NO fruit juices, NO fruit, NO sweet sauces or salad dressings. look at all ingredient labels... even innocent-looking items like soy milk have a substantial amount of sugar in each serving (7 grams) if you don't buy unsweetened.

--> it's really cool, actually. if the bacteria have nothing to eat, they can't survive/multiply. lol.. seems so basic, but i love it. :D

a month is a really long time to have this continue. honestly at this point your bladder might simply be irritated. this happened to me once -- i had all the symptoms of a UTI, so i started chugging the c-juice & water, peeing every 15 minutes for days.... until i finally got my lab results from the doctor and it turned out i didn't even have any bacteria present. :doh: i had actually created the irritation/pain/urinary frequency myself, through trying to treat it. anyway, my point is i would return to the doctor now and re-test. your last visit was 7 days ago, right?

good luck... keep us posted! :)

I swear, I love you! Thank you so much for all of that information! I mean, I've heard it before, but the way you put it was just so simple and pretty much covers all of what I needed to hear. I'm going to try the whole water intake thing and try to urinate every 20 mins or so. I never thought about how you need to drink more water than cranberry juice. I sort of evened the two out, but I'm going to drink a lot more now. Anywho, I get mine at Trader Joe's as well (I love it there, they have everything).. I'm going to stock up on some more cranberry juice, as well as go back to the doctor. Thank you so much for your reply, it's awesome that someone really took out the time to outline all of that for me!

I swear, I love you! Thank you so much for all of that information! I mean, I've heard it before, but the way you put it was just so simple and pretty much covers all of what I needed to hear. I'm going to try the whole water intake thing and try to urinate every 20 mins or so. I never thought about how you need to drink more water than cranberry juice. I sort of evened the two out, but I'm going to drink a lot more now. Anywho, I get mine at Trader Joe's as well (I love it there, they have everything).. I'm going to stock up on some more cranberry juice, as well as go back to the doctor. Thank you so much for your reply, it's awesome that someone really took out the time to outline all of that for me!

hahahah... you're welcome so much! :D i've been there enough to know how much it sucks... the least i can do is put what i've learned to good use by helping someone else. :P

your plan sounds good. 1 question - i'm curious how much cranberry juice you've been drinking? just trying to figure out how much fluid you've been taking in daily between the two (water + c-juice).... :think:

i love TJ's too. :D i couldn't believe they wanted $8 for the same stuff at the other health food stores!

one more thing i thought of just now - if you're not already doing so, make sure you get enough sleep every night. like, make it a huge priority. your immune system really will work much better to fight these little buggers (that's how i always think of them when i've got a UTI -- i think of it as an all-out war, and i refuse to let them win. :lol:) if it's getting good rest. :)

I'd also add that it might not be a U.T.I. I supposedly had one this year, went around treating it, drowning in cranberry juice, taking the antibiotics, etc. etc. With no effect. I went to a gynecologist (before that I was just at my normal doctor) who istened to my story, had herself a peek, and didn't even wait a second to announce 'yeast infection'. I just had weird symptoms. Anyway, the point is, the bacteria there keeps the yeast in control, so by killing all them off I was worsening my yeast infection. Anyway, the yeast pill worked like a charm in no time. So if it's STILL there after a while, consider going for a second opinion.