Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

Has anyone had success with LOW levels of b5?

April 6th update:

I am now on 3 grams daily. I started on wednesday. 1 gram in the morning, 1 gram in the afternoon, and 1 gram in the evening. Each with a big meal. So it keeps me at eating 3 meals a day (big meals) and I can take all my supps then.

Results are promising, i'm oil free the entire day. But this is also in combo with everything, I feel that this sealed the deal on the oil issue for good. (So far). And it's true, the excess is basically peed out anyway. No upset stomach or anything. Just be sure to drink lots of water and eat well before taking this! Remember, lots of water!! Or you may get headaches etc. Just be cautious.

___

My oil production is under control now (at least 75 to 80% less than usual. I used to blot every 2 to 3 hours, and use get a full face of oil before the day even started, now I don't get a 1/4 of that in 12 hours. But I still get a little bit of oil. Though, by having to blot at all, is still too much, and by that time, acne may already have a chance to form. Get my drift? I want to try to seal the deal on it. I feel that this would really be helpful in finishing off this oil production issue completely.

The concept of b5 working is :

Normally, B5 is used in the body to create and regulate hormones, process lipids (fats), etc. But when the body's B5 pool is depleted, B5 (as coenzyme-A) is allocated according to the body's own survival priorities. In other words, hormones and neural function are given as much available B5 as possible, with the process of fat metabolism receiving whatever B5 is left over from the more important processes. How does this relate to acne? Well, when they're not burned for fuel or stored for future use, extra fats are excreted, among other methods, through the skin as a fat-rich oil called sebum. The skin normally has a certain amount of oil released through the sebaceous glands as a means of lubrication. But when there are excess lipids to be eliminated, they are excreted through the sebaceous glands as extra sebum. Thus one experiences �“oily skin.The skin naturally has a number of blocked pores at any given time, either because of dirt, unshed skin cells or solidified sebum, but the normal output of oil is so low that there is little appreciable build-up of oil behind the blockages. In the case of excess sebum secretion, blocked pores quickly become flooded with sebum, creating a buildup that not only causes a noticeable bump or comedone, but also an environment where bacteria may flourish, sometimes causing the pore and surrounding skin to become infected.

By supplementing extra B5, the body's B5 pool is brought up to an adequate level, resulting in more thorough fat metabolism: after covering the hormonal and neural aspects of the body's needs for B5, theres still plenty to go around to burn off the fats. So instead of excess fats ending up as extra sebum (and eventually resulting in acne) they are burned for fuel. No extra fats means reduced sebum output, and thus less likelihood of acne.

i think the amount is different for everyone. low doses work pretty good for me. no more than 1 gram a day, broken up into three times. more than that and i don't produce much oil at all and start to get dry red skin.

i think the amount is different for everyone. low doses work pretty good for me. no more than 1 gram a day, broken up into three times. more than that and i don't produce much oil at all and start to get dry red skin.

I found another success story at low doses:

I am 26 and have had acne for about 10 years. My acne is mild to moderate and is mainly caused by stress and hormones (I'm female):not severe but extremely persistent. Mostly, I have had blackheads and literally hundreds of tiny white pimples (closed comedones) that were impossible to get rid of, especially on my chin. Ocasionally I got larger pimples and have had a few cystic spots that required injections (excruciating and not that effective)! These larger pimples were slow to heal. After facials and extractions, all the small pimples would come back on their own, often overnight. I have tried tons of products: salicylic acid, retin-a, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, tea tree oil, jojoba oil. All of these products were somewhat effective but only for a short period of time and had a lot of side effects - thinning skin, dryness, flakiness, irritation, etc - that I didn't like. As adult acne sufferers know, many of these treatments are too drying or prematurely age adult skin. After reading the reviews on this site at elsewhere on the internet, I decided to give vitamin B5 a try. I decided to take 2 grams a day - 1 gram in the morning and1 before bed. I bought my B5 at the GNC. Because I was a little concerned about megadosing, I also bought a megavitamin in order to keep the other B vitamins balanced. I take the two megavitamins (thats 1 dose) with my nightly dose of B5. I have been taking B5 for a week and the improvement is AMAZING! Normally, I would never write an online review but the results are so impressive for me that I decided to write one. The tiny white heads are almost entirely gone: reduced from hundreds to less than 10. As other people have noted with B5 usage, my pores also appear much smaller and cleaner. The redness of larger blemishes has entirely subsided and the spots themselves are almost entirely gone. I did experience some skin dryness and flakiness for the first day or two but switched to a very gentle cleanser (Cetaphil) and now my skin does not feel dry. There was no stomach upset for me and I take the B5 on an empty stomach. B5 has allowed me to stop using expensive topical applications: I just wash with Cetaphil and apply a MSM (organic sulfur) cream to moisturize and my skin stays fresh looking and feeling all day! I would highly recommend B5 as an effective acne treatment. If you are concerned about the dosage, consult a nutritionist or just take a multivitamin.

So I guess most people go on anything between 2 to 5 grams. I will try 2 to begin with, and see how that goes.

i took 8 a day and that worked

Hiya, I'd say I take an averagely low dose (compared to the 10g recommendation).

Generally my daily munch of tablets is typically

2x500mg Pantothenic Acid/B5 in Morning, 1 midday, 1 evening with meals. I do adjust this if I feel I'm getting oily, sometimes I've had none in a day if been away, sometimes probably had 6 (x500mg throughout day) if it feels oil is coming back, so I kind of feedback to get a balance.

I also take...

1 Vit A TabletMorning with Meal

5 Fish Oil/ 1/2 Cod Liver Oil (balancing Cod Liver with Vit A sometimes, so not taking that as don't want to go much over RDA for vit A, just want to make sure I have some vit A for a bad diet I have) varied throughout day.

2 Green trea in morning.

This "seems" to be keeping the oil at bay. I get the odd spot, but are very rare, and most without pus and very small. I also in the past had accutane which helped with masses of oil/cystic acne, but cysts didn't come back after (which was main issue), but oil and small spots did come back after a couple of months. So mainly I'm trying to keep oil at bay as I hate it, and feels like thats my indication of skin getting worse.

The fish oils/green tea I've added after, so doing those more for health benefit. I'm "fairly" sure its main the Vit B5 keeping it at bay with a bit of vit A (don't whatever megadose on that though anyone). I don't really need to wash my face any more at all, I just wash it whilst in the shower.

I also try and not have too much sugar/carbs and go for more of a balance with more protein when possible.

Don't want to say its a cure, as could get worse tomorrow, but it seems to be helping keep things in "stasis". I don't get any side effects, hair is drier, but once I shove some gel on it, its back to normal (and looks better anyway).

I do think everyones requirement will be different as well, depending on genetics, diet etc. Some may need more or less of something.

One thing I would be very interested in, is if anyone can find any information on Vit B5 (or similar) absorption. Finding it very hard to get constructive info and best times to take it (better less often and more, or with a meal etc etc) as that may all help. Some vits I notice have hardly any increase the more you take, so you may find that you munch 10g but most is being wasted, really no idea on this one.

i have recently significantly increased my b5 intake (plus green tea, much due to your threads xxndnromeoxx - thanks you are certainly one informative guy!) and am also v.interested in how to take it for optimum results ie with/without food

a health assistant told me with food but then i read in a health magazine more is absorbed on an empty stomach???

i hate thinking i am not getting results simply due to non-compliance with instructions on how to take!! any ideas?

wibble how much vit A do you take?

:)

Thank you all for replying, I have to rush to school so I'll reply in depth in a few hours! Take care, please keep an eye on this thread as well :)

i have recently significantly increased my b5 intake (plus green tea, much due to your threads xxndnromeoxx - thanks you are certainly one informative guy!) and am also v.interested in how to take it for optimum results ie with/without food

a health assistant told me with food but then i read in a health magazine more is absorbed on an empty stomach???

i hate thinking i am not getting results simply due to non-compliance with instructions on how to take!! any ideas?

my vit A has fish liver oils with it...i take 3 a day which equals 24000 i.u plus whatever is in my multivit and diet. I've never been on accutane just antibiotics but i read about the association of vit A with it so decided it must be of some use! Without really thinking about side effects to be honest. None as of yet....and it's been a long time...but i advise ppl to do their research before trying these things! (like i am now!) Tbh i think i should reduce it but i did read a thread where a girl said her derm told her to take 3 vit A pills every night to help acne? hmm. i take 6 green tea pills a day as well at 315mg each and i absoloutely love it! I've had no problems with this amount but everyone is different and should start out at the RDA.

I found this on b5:

Also on an empty stomach, vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) in a dose of 2000 to 3000 mg will produce a rapid evacuation of the contents of the bowels. Vitamin B5 powder is unpalatable, but there are many health benefits attributed to it, in addition to its ability to stimulate peristalsis.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/gastrointesti...tipation_01.htm

which i find slightly worrying...does this mean with food it doesn't but without it will (produce a rapid evacuation of the contents...etc!) :eh:

jeepers creepers. now i'm twice as confused. i'm slowly increasing my b5 as we speak (type)...i'd hate for anything nasty to happen! BUt this oil drives me crazy. I mean, a little is good, help fight wrinkles and stay beautiful for longer (vain lol) but the bowel symptoms are somewhat alarming...

Although i've been taking supplements for many years, over the past few weeks i've transformed into a health goddess...my diet has improved drastically (still room for improvement) and i feel so much better about myself for it i recommend it whether you have good skin or not!!

I love this forum.

Hiya, I'd say I take an averagely low dose (compared to the 10g recommendation).

2x500mg Pantothenic Acid/B5 in Morning, 1 midday, 1 evening with meals. I do adjust this if I feel I'm getting oily, sometimes I've had none in a day if been away, sometimes probably had 6 (x500mg throughout day) if it feels oil is coming back, so I kind of feedback to get a balance.

I also take...

5 Fish Oil/ 1/2 Cod Liver Oil (balancing Cod Liver with Vit A sometimes, so not taking that as don't want to go much over RDA for vit A, just want to make sure I have some vit A for a bad diet I have) varied throughout day.

2 Green trea in morning.

This "seems" to be keeping the oil at bay. I get the odd spot, but are very rare, and most without pus and very small. I also in the past had accutane which helped with masses of oil/cystic acne, but cysts didn't come back after (which was main issue), but oil and small spots did come back after a couple of months. So mainly I'm trying to keep oil at bay as I hate it, and feels like thats my indication of skin getting worse.

The fish oils/green tea I've added after, so doing those more for health benefit. I'm "fairly" sure its main the Vit B5 keeping it at bay with a bit of vit A (don't whatever megadose on that though anyone). I don't really need to wash my face any more at all, I just wash it whilst in the shower.

I also try and not have too much sugar/carbs and go for more of a balance with more protein when possible.

Don't want to say its a cure, as could get worse tomorrow, but it seems to be helping keep things in "stasis". I don't get any side effects, hair is drier, but once I shove some gel on it, its back to normal (and looks better anyway).

I do think everyones requirement will be different as well, depending on genetics, diet etc. Some may need more or less of something.

One thing I would be very interested in, is if anyone can find any information on Vit B5 (or similar) absorption. Finding it very hard to get constructive info and best times to take it (better less often and more, or with a meal etc etc) as that may all help. Some vits I notice have hardly any increase the more you take, so you may find that you munch 10g but most is being wasted, really no idea on this one.

Hiya, I was taking 8000IU (3x rda afaik in 1 tablet), however since I've started taking cod liver oil, I'm reducing and going to stop the sep vit A as the cod liver has 2400IU, and probably will take 3 of the cod liver tablets which works out to same amount. Please note, I'm not recommending others do that, and anyone with possibility of becoming pregnant stay well away. Just it feels like if they sell 8000IU tablets and I've read up on the levels, that feels ok for me. I may even drop the vit A, as I started with A/B5 at first, and added fish oil, then green tea, and want to see how I do with just B5, fish oil first I think, then reintroduce giving a month or so at a time, as not entirely sure whats helping atm.

Main thing for me is stopping cystic acne (totally stopped since accutane, but I guess scared it may come back), and then really just trying to keep oil down as it feels the oil is tied to cystic acne (I always used to get cysts on nose only really, and loads of oil on nose after 30 mins, now I get less oil on nose after 24 hrs than previous 30 before accutane). I don't want to dismiss the effects of accutane in this though, as it did change my life around more than anything else.

P.S my diet is really really bad and I don't underestimate my downfall in that one which I'm slowly trying to change.

I also take...

2 Green trea in morning.

xxndnromeoxx, out of curiosity, how many green tea extracts do you take before you get the feeling you describe, and how do you take them (as in, with a meal, water, etc.)

I believe we have the same kinds, because I bought mine from the website you reccomended me in your thread (www.bodybuilding.com).

Thanks!

P.S. I don't take any B5 at the moment, but I am definetly going to buy some and I was wondering about the doses too!

xxndnromeoxx, out of curiosity, how many green tea extracts do you take before you get the feeling you describe, and how do you take them (as in, with a meal, water, etc.)

I believe we have the same kinds, because I bought mine from the website you reccomended me in your thread (www.bodybuilding.com).

Thanks!

P.S. I don't take any B5 at the moment, but I am definetly going to buy some and I was wondering about the doses too!

I don't know if this is a coincidence (I hope not) but today morning I had no oil anywhere, scalp... chest, back and face. When I put a clean and clear sheet on my face, I had to press really hard to get any residue. Again, it may just be a coincidence, but I'll keep updating. I took 1.5 grams in a matter of 6 hours.

And to think, I was so hugely against this, to the point I would tell others not to. But perhaps because of the mega dosing limitations (10 grams) is a bit too much?

I don't know if this is a coincidence (I hope not) but today morning I had no oil anywhere, scalp... chest, back and face. When I put a clean and clear sheet on my face, I had to press really hard to get any residue. Again, it may just be a coincidence, but I'll keep updating. I took 1.5 grams in a matter of 6 hours.

And to think, I was so hugely against this, to the point I would tell others not to. But perhaps because of the mega dosing limitations (10 grams) is a bit too much?

I'm guessing part of the problem is that not many studies (afaik) have been done with it, so its hard to figure proper dosing. 10 grams as a general figure that would apply to everyone just seems a little odd. I would think it would depend on a number of factors depending on whats out of kilter with your body and how often you take it, how well its absorbed etc. Maybe 10 grams is enough to nearly always produce significant effects fast so everyone recommends it, but some may be fine with lower.

Thank gosh for that. I figure it like this, if it's truely a matter of your body not having enough B5, then 200% of max should suffice, and since each pill 5000% of your daily value, it should be more than enough. Granted that lets say your body can't use all of it and excretes most of it along a four hour period, then every four hours one should be enough? Just a theory, but maybe it's something I'm not seeing or I haven't read about yet.

I wish there were more tests done, do you have any idea why there was only one test done for B5 in a study like this?

Thank gosh for that. I figure it like this, if it's truely a matter of your body not having enough B5, then 200% of max should suffice, and since each pill 5000% of your daily value, it should be more than enough. Granted that lets say your body can't use all of it and excretes most of it along a four hour period, then every four hours one should be enough? Just a theory, but maybe it's something I'm not seeing or I haven't read about yet.

I wish there were more tests done, do you have any idea why there was only one test done for B5 in a study like this?

My best guess would be that there's no financial incentive for any researchers testing this as they wouldn't be able to run a patent on B5 and so no real reason for funding it. Common story all over really, I'm sure there's a lot of vitamin/diet/holistic cures for various things which will never really be studied properly (when really they should be the first things studied).

I think the amounts will vary so much. Everyone is different, has different levels of food intakes, of carbs, fats, protein etc, different levels of exercise which will both use these and I think can deplete vitamin stores etc, naturally genetics etc all play a part as well.

Your theory on the every four hours or so (basically one at a meal) is pretty much what I'm working on now, but its pure guesswork really. Seems to help, but I like to try things for a few months before saying anything for sure.

I don't know if it's the same enzyme but it's Coenzyme A (the main reason for taking b5)

The rate of degradation of the enzyme was essentially unaffected, the half-life being 25 and 28 h, respectively, in cells incubated in the presence and absence of fatty acid.