Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alright, first some background on my acne and I:

Sex: Male

I have been battling acne since puberty.

Methods I have tried:

-Benzyl Peroxide (BP)

-Salicylic Acid (SA)

-Washing

-Not touching

-Lasers*

- Hormone Balancing

-AHA/BHA complex with CoQ-10

��‚�� Attempted Smoothbeam (tested), rejected the full treatment because of too much negative feedback on these forums.

My skin:

Oily and Dry, olive tone, smooth skin, I get both red and brown spots.

Oily- Forehead and nose

Dry- Around the mouth

Smooth- I do not get atrophic scarring.

--------------------------------------------------------

My approach (morning):

(revised as of May 20th, 2007)

Take Supplements: -Probiotics

L-acidophilus 1.150 Billion

L. rhamnosus 1.150 Billion

L. rhamnosus (Type B. Bifidus) 775 Million

S. lactis 275 Million

S. thermophilus 150 Million

Bifidobacterium longum 275 Million

B. bifidum 275 Million

-MACA (root extract)

-Saw Palmetto 320mg

Clean my face with Clarisonic using Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser (non hypoallergenic, no perfumes, no SLS)

Night:

Clean my face with Clarisonic using Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser (non hypoallergenic, no perfumes, no SLS)

Use the Beautyskin Lamp for 15 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------

I exercise 5-6 times a week (body building). I eat lots of calories/protein to help me gain weight (I am underweight). However, the foods I eat for weight gain are organic. I only shop at Trader Joes or Mothers Market. I stay away from Albertsons and Fast Foods.

Please visit my Flickr:

www.flickr.com/photos/kiwicameron/

Also, if you spot a flaw in my methods or with my writing, please correct me.

post-56691-1175655192_thumb.jpg

post-56691-1175655192_thumb.jpg

*My dermatologist adventure:

This is a follow up on my smoothbeam dilemma.

I was interested in light therapy since I have tried many approaches to curing my acne. Mind you, my acne is primarily cystic.

1st Dermatologist: Located in Irvine, www.totalderm.com. I went in to get my consultation and I perceived the place to be very nice, it looked new. This amateur girl walks me into the room and says the doctor will be right in. A few minutes passed and this scary looking guy comes in, sits down, and says “You have really bad acneâ€. I thought, “Gee thanks†in my head. He wanted me to do Photodynamic Therapy at 400 per session. I thought it was reasonable and walked out.

2nd Dermy: I wanted a second opinion just in case. The next place was more run down, and smelled funny. The place wasn’t very clean. I get seated in a room and the dermy walks in with a suit on saying he has allergies and to not touch him. He said, “You shoud never do photodynamic therapy, it will ruin your skin since it is oliveâ€. I had two contradicting dermatologists in the same day. He recommended I do 10 sessions of a blue light therapy for 8000 dollars. Have a nice day sir!

3rd Dermy: More reputable, www.skin1.com The staff was very knowledgeable, and nice. Went in for a consultation and she said “You shouldn’t do PDT, you should do smoothbeamâ€. That was three dermatologists, all of which said something different. She quoted me 300 per session and laughed when I told her that the dermatologist before her wanted 8000 dollars. She did test spots on my skin to see if I were to get effected by hyper pigmentation.

3 Dermatologists, who do I believe?

Went on acne.org and there were too many cases of smoothbeam not working. The 3rd dermy told me that 98% of her patients will see improvement. Acne.org and her speech contradicted. Many users on these forums stated that it never worked even when their dermy said the same as mine did, yet another contradiction.

What a waste, eh? But I learned that the only person you can count on is yourself.

Watched, “The Secret†DVD, and it helped me break through the idea of dependence on another person in a white coat.

- I love sugar (cane or crystallized only, NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CRAP).

I thought sugar was natural in the body? Eating some sugar in moderation is okay.

I have a big sweet tooth however, typically with ca cao.

I have an extremely fast metabolic rate, thus, sugar will not effect me as much as others.

I'll take what you said though, and try to minimize the sugar intake. I just got done eating like 4 ginger cookies, after reading your post I was slightly shocked. This is a slap on the wrist for me, I appreciate the advice. :surprised:

Update: 4/5/2007

Skin is doing okay, minor peeling between my eyes.

Organic topicals applied.

What I ate today:

Promax Chocolate mint bar *protein based

Organic Zbar

Organic potatoes (multi)

Natural chicken, nonhormonal, cooked with Teriyaki sauce (natural, no biproducts)

- The teriyaki had soy! ....grrrr

Bon bons.... bad me!

Heavy Weight Gainer shake

Organic Multivitamin liquid drink, contains everything the body needs

I thought sugar was natural in the body? Eating some sugar in moderation is okay.

I have a big sweet tooth however, typically with ca cao.

I have an extremely fast metabolic rate, thus, sugar will not effect me as much as others.

I'll take what you said though, and try to minimize the sugar intake. I just got done eating like 4 ginger cookies, after reading your post I was slightly shocked. This is a slap on the wrist for me, I appreciate the advice. :surprised:

I would like to direct you here.

Your diet and regimen sound pretty darn decent to me, in the link I posted you may wish to consult with bber and autonomousone1980. bber is a body builder as well. Many of us are having great success with this addition to our diet :D

Hmm, interesting.

Has anyone seen a double blinded study for fish oils to see if it does work on acne?

I usually will not 'trust' something until it has been tested.

I am stopping the sugar today....! :dance::)

Skin: Doing exceptional. Brown spots are fading with the cream I got, no new acne as of late. Although my forehead is still has red bumps.

what I ate:

Organic Z bar with Tejava Tea

2 small natural pizzas, italian

Farm raised Norwegian Alaskan Salmon (for my omegas)

2 more organic Z bars

2 Organic wheat breads (like french bread) - nonbleached, nothing added

More Tejava tea (sugarless, microbrewed)

Weight Gainer shake -Added magnesium and calcium liquid, and Flax seed oils (omega 3, 6, 9)

---------------------------

Organic topicals applied (See above)

honestly alot of stuff that is organic isnt necissarily good, i mean you could go out and buy a bowl of organic sugar, but the fact would remain that it is sugar, same goes with milk, chocolate etc.. perhaps instead of going organic try to cut out dairy, refined carbs and foods high in saturated and omega 6 fats..

OOrganic - there are numerous studies posted in the thread. What most of us did was check our Omega 6 and Omega 3 intake at http://nutritiondata.com Ideally, the human diet has a balance of 1:1. Unfortunately, most modern societies fall far below this ideal. My personal ratio was 7:1 - Omega6:Omega3. An imbalanced ration of O6 causes inflammation contributing to arthritis, colitis, acne, etc. All of this iformation you will find find on the NutritionData website, which is gov't funded BTW.

I researched different brands of fish oil, found one I liked (carlson) and corrected the balance to 1:1. The 1:1 balance is what nutritionists recommend, and what the human body requires for optimum function. I would say 90% of us are seeing positive correlation with acne reduction and fish oil. What it may help to know is that the amount of fish oil ingested is no more than you would get having a few meals of salmon per day.

I really encourage you to read the studies posted in the thread, do some of your own research and give it a go :angel:

Thanks for the advice Ayla!

I started taking liquid flax seed oil yesterday, I'll post the ingredients on here later for you to inspect.

For today:

Stress! Girlfriend and I got into a small frustration, she started crying etc. (wasn't crying because of me though). I was trying to cheer her up most of the day. She ended up staying with me at my apartment. Unfortunately, my face got smothered with kisses and her soft hands kept squeezing my cheeks... as a result my skin took a good beating today. :wall::wall: (Although, I shouldn't say unfortunately, I love my girlfriend and her kisses :wub: ).

Right has she left I treated my skin, hopefully I saved it.

No new acne, just red bumps on my forehead.

What I ate:

2 Z bars in the morning with organic carrots

Rice and lettuce for lunch

another organic zbar

3 Eggs

900 Calorie shake, with omega 3,6,9 complex, magnesium-calcium (for my heart).

Update:

Replacing my Fruit peels with AHA/BHA 10%

Skin:

Doing better, couple of small whiteheads no big deal, curious as to what the AHA will do.

Picture update coming soon

What I ate:

4 Eggs

Organic Apple Juice

Organic wheat bread

1 Zbar

Natural Steak

Cream Soda (diet, no sugar, etc.)

Zbar

10 Organic Strawberries

Imitation sushi

900 Calorie Shake, magnesium calcium, omega 3,6,9 complex, flax seed oils

Enzymes

New update:

Skin: Doing well, big cyst above my right eye. Also got one inbetween my eyes. They have been there awhile...

Looking into the Clarisonic brush... will purchase over the week

What I ate:

4 eggs

Tejava tea

2 organic wheat breads

10 strawberries

cream soda

ginger cookies

another cream soda =P

organic wheat bread /w organic tomatoes

pb and J sandwiches, organic peanut butter (no trans fats), organic strawberry jam

Skin update:

Doing well, My Dad says I am improving

Got a cyst on my back, hurts really bad

What I ate:

2 organic Z bars

4 Eggs

Tejava tea

5 Ginger cookies

2 Organic PB n J sandwiches

3 organic wheat breads /w organic tomato sauce

900 Calorie shake, same stuff put in

Hi there,

Good luck - sounds like you've got the willpower to make it work.

I wouldn't recommend the Clarisonic though - I bought one a couple of months ago. I don't think it irritates my skin at all, it's just that it doesn't do anything to make up for it's cost. I used to use a manual (soft) face brush from the Body Shop or muslin cloths (changed daily) and they exfoliated as well and cost far less....

If you're exfoliating at all, and using peels then I don't think it will help any....

Vic

Well, I don't exfoliate. So I got the clarisonic to help clean up my skin.

I bought it off ebay for about 100 so I didn't pay full retail.

I was using peels, but I have to wait until my acne dies down before I can do more.

Thanks for the advice though.

Update:

skin is doing so-so....

Cyst between my eye is bigger cause I played with it.

Big red bump on my left cheek

new red bump on my neck

Forehead is being nice to me! Woot woot

What I ate:

Typical organic stuff. No sugars, except for organic cocoa and Zbars

Plenty of eggs

Heavy weight gainer shake

Update:

Keeping up with dieting/weight gaining.

Skin:

Actually doing fairly well, I do see improvement. I got a real nasty red bump on my jaw line, this thing was massive and it made me sad =( I was working so hard in that area and it still came up!

I am trying to make it so that once the red bump dies down I'll prevent any new pimples from forming, that way my face can heal the rest of the scars.

Whew, my breakout is settling now. Have a lot more red marks now. I was trying so hard to prevent the breakout I am not sure what could have done it. I am convinced hormones are causing the the onsets of these breakouts thus my regimen will hardly do anything for me. At this point, I am thinking that I may have to go into internal medicine because topicals will not change the outcome. My acne is embedded and large lumps form rather than it being surfaced. Mainly cystic, I am losing the battle because of chemicals surging through my body (testosterone).

It's hypocritical for me to swing this way, but accutane is a likely solution for me, although dangerous. My dieting, exercising, and regimen is becoming tiring since results are not being produced. Day after day, my skin is not changing at all.

Acne is calming down now. There are now just two prevalent red spots on my chin, the rest seems to be fading quickly. I believe ACV did this because I specifically remember doing my chin/mouth area only and within a few days it broke out. I must concede though because acne takes 1-2 weeks to develop.

I hope my face stays in this direction, surprisingly, my forehad has been doing great! I have never seen it healthy like this. The clarisonic is surely helping.

I have taken a new step in my acne treatment, internal medicine.

I went to Mother's Market today and spoke with an employee who once had acne, he pointed out 3 products to use (those that cleared him up).

First was Jarro-dophilus, it's a probiotic which aids in digestion and removes harmful bacterium in the stomach. Here's more on the item:

Description: Multi-probiotic contains the finest strains of probiotic bacteria and more than Four(4.4) Billion organisms in the following potencies for a balanced intestinal tract and digestive system (In a base of Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), enzymes, ulmus fulva and special carbohydrates):

L-acidophilus 1.150 Billion

L. rhamnosus 1.150 Billion

L. rhamnosus (Type B. Bifidus) 775 Million

S. lactis 275 Million

S. thermophilus 150 Million

Bifidobacterium longum 275 Million

B. bifidum 275 Million

Uses: To assist digestion, maintain normal cholesterol, produce natural antibodies and nutritionally support the body’s fight against conditions such as acne, psoriasis, eczema, candidaisis, colitis and allergies.

Next he pointed out MSM. I did not buy it though.

Third was Sarsaparilla, here's more information:

Clinical research has validated the traditional use of sarsaparilla for skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, acne, and leprosy. In 1942, it was reported in the New England Journal of Medicine to improve the condition of psoriasis dramatically. There the results of a clinical study with 92 patients was detailed which reported that it improved psoriasis lesions in 62% of cases and completely cleared lesions in 18% of cases. One of the possible mechanisms of action in psoriasis is sarsaparilla's blood cleansing properties. Individuals with psoriasis have been found to have high levels of endotoxins circulating in the bloodstream (endotoxins are cell wall fragments of normal gut bacteria). Sarsaponin, one of sarsaparilla's main steriods, was found to bind to these endotoxins and remove them, thus improving psoriasis.