Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys, I have suffered with bad acne for 7 years (now 21) and I'm on my 5th treatment of accutane. All the emotional and psychological effects mentioned on previous posts fit me to a tee so I won’t bother getting into that. At the moment my skin is about bearable and I can actually go out even though it is sometimes reluctantly. I have a lot of scars as well and then this constantly plays on mind as well even though I wear concealer to help.

I do, however, want to ask people out there how you have found dealing with your own confidence when it comes to the opposite sex. There is a girl I really like and we’ve been chatting for a while and we plan to meet soon. We get on really well and have a lot in common but I do think I’m punching above my weight especially when it comes to looks especially with the way my skin is! She has seen my in recent pictures but they aren’t really a reflection of being up close.

You are always hopeful that it won’t be an issue but there is always that self-conscious feeling that it is going to be a major problem and that when I see her she will have no interest in pursuing things regardless of how well we get on when chatting on the internet and phone etc. It would be great to think that she won’t look twice but in the modern world appearances seem to be everything.

I’m sure plenty of people must have experienced this so is there any advice you give and how you have dealt with it. Is it a confidence thing? Do you just say fuck it and convince yourself that it won’t be an issue?

Apologies if this is a commonly posted subject but I’d really appreciate some other perspectives.

Girls like a guy with confidence, and if she sees that your acne doesn't bother you she might like you. Unless she's superficial and cares about what you look like, in that case, forgetta bout her. just my opinion

Girls like a guy with confidence, and if she sees that your acne doesn't bother you she might like you. Unless she's superficial and cares about what you look like, in that case, forgetta bout her. just my opinion

Yea id say thats pretty true, but if your like me the acne can really burst your confidence bubble. Ive had confidence problems for quite a while now, and the best thing that helps me is some good, loud music.

And tommyd, have you said anything to her about your acne?

Yea id say thats pretty true, but if your like me the acne can really burst your confidence bubble. Ive had confidence problems for quite a while now, and the best thing that helps me is some good, loud music.

And tommyd, have you said anything to her about your acne?

No, I havn't mentioned anything about it to her. It's a strange one because if I were to mention it then her attention would be immediatley drawn to it when we meet. On the other hand mentioning it might give me some idea of how she will be around me and might let me know if it is going to be a problem. I'm going to have to give it some thought. Thanks very much for the comments.

[quote

I’m sure plenty of people must have experienced this so is there any advice you give and how you have dealt with it.

Thanks very much fraxel, that is some very sound advice and makes a lot of sense. I'm meeting her tommorow but I am already starting to get nervous about the 'what if's'. I know I've just got to push through it and make the best of what happens. Thanks again.