Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

how long did it take accutane to clear you?

It took about 4 weeks for me to be clear of any active pimples... still dealing with the red marks though.

i am finally clear (after having a horrible IB) after 3 months...still some red marks, but they are fading...hopefully it'll stay this way!

I actually was clear from the very beginning but here's how I think. I had toyed with other things such as antibiotics topicals etc. (you know the deal), and then my doctor told me to try Differin. My skin went crazy on Differin so I think I had my initial breakout then and it really sucked!!!!!!!!!!! It's so unfair that we have to put ourselves through more toture before getting better. Anyway, I said to my derm 'That's it I want roaccutane' and she agreed but gave me a course of Bactrim first. It's a fast working antibiotic that was used widely in the 'old days' for acne but some people are allergic to it so it is not used much these days. anyway she gave me a months dose of this to calm down my breakout before starting Roaccutane as she said that if you can start it when you skin is not breaking out, this minimizes the chances of a huge initial breakout. it worked for me as from that pont on my skin just got better and better with no breakout from the Roaccutane. As I know that I am not allergic to Bactrim I will definitely use this tactic again if I need to.

The first time, i took it for nine months and didn't clear until two months after treatment was over. The second time i cleared much more quickly, within the first couple months if i recall correctly - the details are in my log if you want something more exact.

I just finished Month 1 and my initial breakout is done and I have only a few pimples left. And I'm still getting acne time to time, but not big breakouts.

Completely clear within 6 weeks, but I was also on antibiotics at the time. Good luck with your treatment.