Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fort

using moisterizer with salicylic acid

is it ok to us a moisterizor with SA in it?

if not , why not?

ps. i mean after applying BP

I assume the moisturizer you're talking about is Clean & Clear Dual-Action Moisturizer, since I've never heard of any other moisturizers with SA. That one's okay to use with the regimen since the concentration of SA is so small (0.5%), but I'd only recommend it to people with oily skin who don't want a very moisturizing moisturizer. It's also not an effective concentration of SA, though, so you aren't really benefiting from the SA in the product, just feeling its drying effect.

If you are talking about something else stronger, though, my worries with SA moisturizers is that they aren't effective moisturizers for people on the regimen because they are so drying. If you have flaking or dryness problems, you're not doing your skin any favors by using an SA moisturizer. Also, pretty much any SA product you get at a drugstore is not at the proper pH to actually give you the benefits of SA, so you just get more of a drying effect without any significant level of follicular exfoliation. And there's also the irritation factor.

i use a SA moisturiser (see my sig) and its great :)

but i dont use BP, but in teh past i have used the C&C dual action moisturiser with BP and it dried my face to hell.

i wouldnt advise it

I assume the moisturizer you're talking about is Clean & Clear Dual-Action Moisturizer, since I've never heard of any other moisturizers with SA. ... I'd only recommend it to people with oily skin who don't want a very moisturizing moisturizer. It's also not an effective concentration of SA, though, so you aren't really benefiting from the SA in the product, just feeling its drying effect. .....my worries with SA moisturizers is that they aren't effective moisturizers for people on the regimen because they are so drying.

there are other moisturizers with sal/ac. 'beta hydroxy acid' (or 'bha') means salicylic acid. i also disagree that SA moisturizers are drying. maybe clean & clear is, but i've been using Almay Daily Moisturizer for Oily Skin with Meadowsweet SPF 15 and i've been really happy with it. when you first apply it, it looks shiny, but it does absorb after a few minutes. and it doesn't cause dryness at all.

another thing: it has broad spectrum uva/uvb protection, which is very important to me. many of the spf moisturizers out there only protect against uvb (sunburn) but not uva (cancer). this is so important.

I assume the moisturizer you're talking about is Clean & Clear Dual-Action Moisturizer, since I've never heard of any other moisturizers with SA. ... I'd only recommend it to people with oily skin who don't want a very moisturizing moisturizer. It's also not an effective concentration of SA, though, so you aren't really benefiting from the SA in the product, just feeling its drying effect. .....my worries with SA moisturizers is that they aren't effective moisturizers for people on the regimen because they are so drying.

there are other moisturizers with sal/ac. 'beta hydroxy acid' (or 'bha') means salicylic acid. i also disagree that SA moisturizers are drying. maybe clean & clear is, but i've been using Almay Daily Moisturizer for Oily Skin with Meadowsweet SPF 15 and i've been really happy with it. when you first apply it, it looks shiny, but it does absorb after a few minutes. and it doesn't cause dryness at all.

another thing: it has broad spectrum uva/uvb protection, which is very important to me. many of the spf moisturizers out there only protect against uvb (sunburn) but not uva (cancer). this is so important.

I know that BHA and SA are the same. I still think that there are relatively few products that are billed as moisturizers that also have SA/BHA in them, especially when compared with moisturizers with AHA. The only one I've ever heard of people trying out with Dan Kern's Regimen is the C&C one. Both your moisturizer and the C&C one are marketed as controlling oil and shine, too, which does tell you that the SA is being added to (in theory) dry out your skin and make it look less oily. I've seen this marketing more commonly in face washes with SA. Whether the product is successful at controlling oil with SA is a different matter, though. Your moisturizer also has an extremely low concentration of SA in it, SA is like the thirteenth inactive ingredient listed. Your moisturizer must have less than 0.5% SA since I believe it is considered an active anti-acne ingredient by the FDA at that level, but it is not listed as such...that would explain why it is not drying.

i use neutrogena acne defense lotion which is a moisturizer with 2% sa in it and it is ph balanced (3.8). it doesnt dry my skin at all and i have noticed a decrease in breakouts, theres some great reviews about it on make up alley.com and also this is one of the few sa products that paula begoun recommends. not saying it should be used in conjuction with dkr but it is a very good product.