Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

Straightening my hair on accutane

Hellooo! I am a natural curly haired girl but I straighten my hair every single day. Is that a bad idea to do on accutane since my hair is already somewhat dry anyways? I don't want to risk getting hair loss but I absolutely HATE my natural curls :lol:

I'm not a curly haired girl but :redface: I have straightened my hair every day since being on accutane and hair loss hasn't really been much of an issue for me.

Not a lot at all.. When I wash my hair a few hairs will fall out, probably 4 or 5. It's not noticable when looking at my hair at all, it doesn't look thinner than normal, but then again my hair gets pretty thick.

Yep you should be fine. Good luck and all the best with your course. I hope it works for you.

my hair is really curly too but i dont mind it so ive left off straightening it... ive had quite a bit of hair loss already tho :(

but if youre gonna straighten make sure u use a really good deep conditioner (im using Aussie miracle moist, or sumthing) cause ur hair will be reaaaally dry on accutane so more likely to snap if your straightening it.

im glad u got it : )

I'm soooo terrified of the hairloss side effect :( I will be using hair treatments every night I think and take vitamin E and stuff, hopefully that will help

Hey Mandeh ;)

I straightened my hair pretty much the whole treatment and it's fine. After every shower I straightened my hair, and it didn't kill it. I did have hair thinning but that's normal while on Tane (and after).

But I wouldn't wash your hair too much if I were you. I had oily hair before Tane and when I was on it it would take about a few days for my hair to get even slightly oily. So, your Hair and skin will be a lot drier. So I only washed my hair every 3-4 days (I think I went a whole school week a couple of times :shifty: ). But Just think it'll be less work you have to do on your hair.

Hellooo! I am a natural curly haired girl but I straighten my hair every single day. Is that a bad idea to do on accutane since my hair is already somewhat dry anyways? I don't want to risk getting hair loss but I absolutely HATE my natural curls :lol:

At the end of my course I was taking 120mg/day and I only weigh 105lbs. My hair didn't fall out at all. Actually the opposite happened. During 2005 I went through a prolonged tramautic experience (remember dear stalker boy). While my mind was in denial that I was completly terrified, my body certaintly felt it. the first thing I noticed was my skin and hair becomming extremely oily....then the acne, then the mouth ulcers.....then huge clumps of my hair started falling out. I lost so much hair that I could wrap an elastic three times around my ponytail.....before my hair was so thick that I could barely wrap an elastic around two times. My hair stylist noticed too.

Since my hair was so thick and any bald or thinning patches I had were hidden I didn't really care....hey it was that much less hair I had to blowdry or straighten or highlight or wash or condition.....or worry about....

I though it was gone forever....but almost two years later I noticed fine short hairs all over.....especially where there were obvious thin patches......the Accutane made my hair grow back where I had lost it.....the strands are so fine and were all my natural color so it wasn't due to breakage.....and hair doesn't break off that short anyway.....so it was actually new growth.........

I straightend my hair on Accutane and even got it highlighted......I only would straighten it once a week.....twice at the max or if it rained............

It may actually be better for your hair since you don't have to wash it as much, thus less straightening and blow drying, just remember to get trims about once every 8-12 weeks or so.....

Thanks! Yeah I definitely won't be washing it often at all.. which is awesome because im so lazy and definitely not a morning person :lol: (I have to wake up extra early just to straighten my hair for school.) Already I can go every other day without washing just fine.. so on tane, I could probably only wash it a couple times a week and use a really heavy conditioner! I'm glad straightening shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks! Yeah I definitely won't be washing it often at all.. which is awesome because im so lazy and definitely not a morning person :lol: (I have to wake up extra early just to straighten my hair for school.) Already I can go every other day without washing just fine.. so on tane, I could probably only wash it a couple times a week and use a really heavy conditioner! I'm glad straightening shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think they're really talking about your hair in general, more so than your scalp and the ingrowing hair while on accutane. Try to straighten it less often. Wash your hair every other day and on the days you wash it, then straighten it. I've straightened mine quite often while being on tane, and it hasn't done anything. Not only that, but I have washed my hair every single day since the day I started and I've had no hairloss. You should be fine honey. <3

I'm a super-curly girl. When I straightened my hair on accutane I just made sure to moisturize REALLY well. I also use a protectant spray (made by Ion, I bought it at Sally Beauty Supply, it's called like "ion straight anti-frizz solutions heat protection" or something) and while it doesn't smell fantastic, it does keep your hair really well protected. I swear by it.