Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canada1

major breakout on differin + smoothbeam

I'm 7 weeks into using differin and 2 weeks post my first smoothbeam treatment to control minor, but persistent acne. My acne is worse than ever! It seems to have progressively gotten worse over over the past couple weeks. I'm assuming the differin breakout period is over. Has anyone had any experience/success with smoothbeam? Can it cause acne to flare up badly?

From what I've read smoothbeam is the next best thing to accutane, without the sides. I've did accutane a couple years ago, which did the trick except things slowly are returning back to the way they were. And the two derms I've been to don't seem to care to prescribe it again.

I hate having to make excuses to my friends and family why I don't want to go out. This sucks, especially during Christmas & New Year's. I just want to lock myself in my room until this goes away. :oops:

It isn't uncommon to have an initial "purging" of the oil glands and existing clogged follicles after Smoothbeam. This is a very common thing and will pass. I wouldn't let this deter you from continuing your treatments. In time this WILL stop and you should see a difference after your next laser. Are you scheduled again in 3 or 4 weeks?

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm going to keep up with it.

The first treatment they used a 12 setting, with redness subsiding by the next morning. I have my 2nd treatment scheduled early January and will likely do 4 - 6 in total, depending on results.

I have so many damn red marks on my face now it's hard to tell what's actually acne and what's left over and will eventually fade.

I too experienced the smoothbeam breakouts. My last Smoothbeam and 4th one was Dec. 4. I'm now recovering and maybe seeing results from the smoothbeam. Before I couldn't see past the smoothbeam created zits to see if the smoothbeam was working. I still have a couple of places. I would feel better if everything was cleared up. I see from posts on these boards that some people continue to get 5, 6 & 7 smoothbeam treatments. I thought I would stop after 4. Should I continue? Anyone have my experience?