Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ithappens

Horrible Hair Loss on and after Accutane

I would just like to state my experience with the drug and how it has destroyed my hair. i'm a male 21 years old active and healthy etc. i'm not trying to scare anyone out of it i'm just simply frusturated, lost and confused, and well pissed. less than a year ago i had a thick full set of brown hair. with that though i also had cystic acne on my forehead and back, i used to cover it up with my hair, how ironic huh. anyway went on accutane from august till this past february 20mg the first two months and then 40mg for the rest. anyway, i had a good amount of thinning while on it but my moronic idiot derm told me that it would stop when i ended the treatment, what a lie. since i stopped right in the begining of february two months since my hair has gone to hell. i started shedding even worse than i was when i was on the stuff. i now can say that i usually lose at the very least 20-30 strands of hair in the shower, sometimes even 60-70. on top of that my hair constantly falls out throughout the day and when i run my hands through it i usually end up with at least a few strands on my fingers. my temples have reeceeded a full two inches and are completely bald, i cant really wear my hair long anymore, and it is this thin little layer. overall i would say that i lost 70% of my hair from the start of the accutane treatment and it doesnt look like it's slowing down anytime soon. i also have a bald spot forming on the back of my head to go along with it that is very visible at times. and to top it off don't believe that it grows back or stops there are many many people out there where the hair loss is permanent as in never grows back and stops. i am probably one of the unlucky few cause i dont see how my bald temples will ever regrow any of the hair i lost. sorry for venting but i would say the number of people out there who suffer from permenant hair damage and loss is much higher than is stated probably more like 20%. i'm screwed so just a heads up, i mean acne sucks dont get me wrong but i would take my hair any day over the zits. later

posts like this make my stomach turn. i'm a month and a half post tane and still losing hair. hasn't become noticeable yet, but i'm worried.

what was your dosage and what's your weight?

posts like this make my stomach turn. i'm a month and a half post tane and still losing hair. hasn't become noticeable yet, but i'm worried.

what was your dosage and what's your weight?

im only four weeks in on 20mg, and my hair is coming out so easily... is there anything you take to help reduce it?

dose was 20mg for the first two months and then 40mg throughout the rest of the treatment 6 months total, and my body weight is 155lbs. it's interesting to note that many of the guys out there who have experienced significant hair loss have also been on the smaller side such as myself. i never really had any hair loss when i was on 20mg, but once i went up to 40mg that's when it started. as for the hair loss on accutane at 20mg i would either strongly consider dropping the dose to 10mg a day or 20mg every other day and see if that helps or stopping the drug entirely. there is growing evidence that accutane causes the body to go into a severe undetectable biotin deficiency, hence the hair loss, so taking biotin may help however, the amount that one would need to take would be huge mega doses in grams upon grams of it, and they only sell biotin at the highest dose of 5mg per pill which wouldn't be feasible to take over 100 pills a day. David if you’re still losing hair after a month and half off of it such as i am you should seek some answers immediately. just because your derm tells you it will take anywhere from a month to a few months for the hair loss to stop he/she is really talking out of his/her ass. if you look around most people that were losing their hair while on the drug stop losing it a couple of weeks after the treatment is discontinued, maybe a month at tops. why we are losing our hair and others aren't well there's basically 2 theories that i have that could be a combination of both or either or. the first is that since accutane is basically vitamin a retinol poisoning that causes hair loss and other problems etc and since it's fat soluble it's stored in our livers for quite sometime cause telogen effluvium commonly known as (TE). TE is a form of drug or stress endued hair loss where the hair is lost all over the scalp in a diffusion pattern. in my situation even though my hair mimics some of the classic MPB signs it still has thinned out all over the back the front the sides etc in a diffuse pattern. the reason why people's temples seem to go first such as myself is because there's not much hair there to begin with on most people etc. The other theory i have is that accutane triggers some sort of early onset of MPB in people who are predisposition to have it. Hence why there are 15 and 16 year olds out there going bald following the treatment. i have loads of other info but i really dont feel like typing anymore right now. i'm sorry i can't really be more comforting but i hope this helps in some sort of way.

An important thing to note: Accutane cannot be the primary cause of your type of hairloss. When people suffer from hairloss due to Accutane it is a general thinning throughout the hair (thinned out all over). If you are developing recession and a bald spot on the crown it is likely Genetic Pattern Hairloss. A lot of guys begin losing hair at around your age. It is very possible that the Accutane has thinned out the density of your hair but unlikely that it is causing recession in the temples and a bald spot - that is likely due to genetics and would have happened regardless but could have been accelerated by the Accutane.

Damn i'm sorry this has happen to you man, hopefully it will grow back to some extent.

Stories like this make me very apprehensive about the drug.

Beentheredonethat seems to know alot about this issue - check some of her historical posts. My understanding is that there are two types of hair loss induced by Accutane. One occurs during the treatment itself and happens because the hair/scalp is dry and the other after the treatment is concluded. In the case of the latter, what is happening is that NEW hair is pushing out the old hair that went into a kind of sleep mode. As such, whilst you may not appreciate yet because you are only 2 months post accutane, what may be happening is that your hair is beginning to grow back in and getting rid of the old dead hair. I hope I have this right, and this is the case for you.

I have experienced hair loss from my treatment. I was on 80mg/day for 5 months same time as the OP actually).

I think mine is starting to slow down now. I still lose a good deal of hair but mine is thick and so it actually kept it 'normally' thinned. I've had no receding or anything but Accutane can cause noticeable hair loss.

"sorry for venting but i would say the number of people out there who suffer from permenant hair damage and loss is much higher than is stated probably more like 20%."

Im sorry for your situation ithappens but saying things like this is in really bad taste. People really shouldnt just make up facts and post them on an internet forum. Hairloss is said to occur in around 10% of patients on accutane. Almost all of these cases are temporary and the hair grows back to normal after awhile. Saying 20% of people on accutane suffer permanent hair damage or loss is a gross miscalculation.

I have experienced hair loss from my treatment. I was on 80mg/day for 5 months same time as the OP actually).

I think mine is starting to slow down now. I still lose a good deal of hair but mine is thick and so it actually kept it 'normally' thinned. I've had no receding or anything but Accutane can cause noticeable hair loss.

how long have you been off? i've been losing my hair since around feb 15, a little bit before i went off tane. not receding or anything, not even noticeable, like i stated earlier, but i'm just worried because it hasn't stopped yet! my derm said the hair loss should subside within the next 2 months, but it's really scaring me.

how long have you been off? i've been losing my hair since around feb 15, a little bit before i went off tane. not receding or anything, not even noticeable, like i stated earlier, but i'm just worried because it hasn't stopped yet! my derm said the hair loss should subside within the next 2 months, but it's really scaring me.

David,

You have probably stated this somewhere before but how bad is your hairloss? When are you noticing it falling out and how much?

shower mostly. the hairloss isn't that bad, honestly. i lose about 5-10 in the shower (after a VERY gentle rub), but afterwards the towel is the bad part. i'm not exactly sure how many i lose when drying my hair, but i hate opening it. if i run my fingers through my hair i almost always pull out a hair or two. and through out the day i'll see hairs drop. i realize the average human loses 100-300 a day, but i did not lose hair like this pre-accutane.

shower mostly. the hairloss isn't that bad, honestly. i lose about 5-10 in the shower (after a VERY gentle rub), but afterwards the towel is the bad part. i'm not exactly sure how many i lose when drying my hair, but i hate opening it. if i run my fingers through my hair i almost always pull out a hair or two. and through out the day i'll see hairs drop. i realize the average human loses 100-300 a day, but i did not lose hair like this pre-accutane.

if it is primarily when you rub your hair in the towel, that is a sure sign that the accutane is drying and weakening your hair. I think this type would be the kind that comes back. One thing that I have noticed is if I wear a hat for a day and take it off then try to style my hair, it hurts! I never noticed it before accutane so hopefully it will go away when I am off. I've had really mild hairloss too. My derm said that if I continue to lose hair after the treatment I could get a script for it or something.

An important thing to note: Accutane cannot be the primary cause of your type of hairloss. When people suffer from hairloss due to Accutane it is a general thinning throughout the hair (thinned out all over). If you are developing recession and a bald spot on the crown it is likely Genetic Pattern Hairloss. A lot of guys begin losing hair at around your age. It is very possible that the Accutane has thinned out the density of your hair but unlikely that it is causing recession in the temples and a bald spot - that is likely due to genetics and would have happened regardless but could have been accelerated by the Accutane.

soul you are very very wrong. i can't think of anyone i know off hand that has lost 60-70% of their hair in a matter of a few months. MPB never hits anyone that quick especially people in their late teens early 20s. If you did some research on accutane thinning you would find that the loss of hair at the crown and the temples is a common symptom of accutane hair loss the reasoning being is that when a person loses hair in a diffuse pattern and their hair thins out everywhere those two areas are already the thinnest to begin with so they would suffer the most loss early on. it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. as for hair loss induced by accutane here is an interesting article on it. german scientists have found out that TGF BETA 2 is primarily responsible for hair loss in retinoid drugs such as accutane and chemotherapy etc. this is why the hair sheds during and after treatment etc etc. the thing is drugs such as accutane, which actually was first used as a chemo agent in the 80s, causes TGF BETA 2 to rise to higher levels in the scalp and the TGF kills and at times permenantly damages the hair follicle. so even if you don't experience any hair thinning on or after accutane it can still hit you years down the road. do your research buddy and then come back to me. i'm not here to f-around, i'm trying to figure out 1. how many other people out there are dealing with the same thing i'm going through 2. trying to establish why accutane is doing this to us and 3. trying to figure out a way to stop or better the situation mine as well as davids as well as everyone affected with hair long after the treatment. not to deal with uninformed devoid people such as yourself.

David, I see you're still at these posts. Well i've been away for a month hoping the situation would change but i haven't seen any improvement on my hairloss yet. It isn't noticeable when looking in the mirror yet but i still lose 30-50 strands while showering which i believe is not normal for anyone. I don't even want to wash my hair in hopes that if i don't touch it then maybe it won't fall out. I sort of regret taking accutane since I didn't think my acne was all that bad to begin with. For others, it may work miracles and worth the risk. I was on accutane for just a week which makes my situation really unique. I also weigh around 150 but i was on 60 mg.

I am not disputing that Accutane does not cause hairloss genius, go back and read my post again...What I said is that Accutane causes a diffuse type of loss. Accutane could very well be responsible for inducing your diffuse or density loss but it is not likely to cause a typical MPB bald spot and temporal/hairline recession. These are patterns indicative of MPB or Androgenetic hairloss. It is quite possible that you are predisposed to MPB and the effects of Accutane on the follicles has possibly sped the process up.

Between starting to grow and falling out years later, each hair passes through three distinct stages. These have been given names: anagen (the growing phase - 1000 days), catagen (the intermediate phase - 10 days) and telogen (the shedding phase - 100 days).

Isotretnoin has been shown to produce a catagen-like stage in human HF (Hair Follicles) and suggests that this occurs, at least in part, via upregulation of TGF-beta2 in the DP (Dermal Papillia).

So basically, Isotretnoin has the potential to push a lot of the Anagen hairs (growing phase) into Catagen (intermediate phase) which is closely followed -within 10 days- by Telegon (shedding phase). So these hairs that are going into Telegon will remain shed for an average of 100 days before they begin the Anagen phase again. Hence why people usually see a return of hair in 2-3 months post Accutane treatment.

My point to all of this is that, Isotretnoin would not selectively induce hairloss be it catagen and telegon phases in a distinct pattern on your scalp (bald spots), it would be a diffuse thinning throughout your entire scalp. THe recession of your hairline and spot on the crown are probably due to a predisposition of MPB and that overall thinning from Isotretnoin has now made them visibly apparent.

I have read the full study you eluded to and have posted it below in case you need to refresh . The study refers to diffuse loss not pattern loss.

Towards dissecting the pathogenesis of retinoid-induced hair loss: all-trans retinoic acid induces premature hair follicle regression (catagen) by upregulation of transforming growth factor-beta2 in the dermal papilla.

Foitzik K, Spexard T, Nakamura M, Halsner U, Paus R.

Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.

Diffuse hair loss ranks among the most frequent and psychologically most distressing adverse effects of systemic therapy with retinoids, which severely limits their therapeutic use even where clinically desired.

Since the underlying mechanisms of retinoid-induced effluvium are as yet unknown, we have investigated the influence of the prototypic retinoid all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA, tretinoin) on the growth of human scalp hair follicles (HF) in culture. HF in the anagen VI stage of the hair cycle were cultured in the presence of 10(-8) or 10(-10) M ATRA. Compared with controls, hair shaft elongation declined significantly already after 2 d in the ATRA-treated group, and approximately 80% of the ATRA-treated HF had prematurely entered catagen-like stage at day 6, compared with 30% in the control group. This corresponded to an upregulation of apoptotic and a downregulation of Ki67-positive cells in ATRA-treated HF.

Since transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta has been implicated as a key inducer of catagen, we next studied whether ATRA treatment had any effect on follicular expression. TGF-beta2 immunoreactivity was detected in the outer root sheath of anagen VI scalp HF. In catagen follicles, TGF-beta2 was also expressed in the regressing epithelial strand. After 4 d of ATRA treatment, TGF-beta2 was significantly upregulated in anagen HF in the dermal papilla (DP) and the dermal sheath, 7, and TGF-beta neutralizing antibody partially abrogated at RA induced hair growth inhibition. Real-time PCR confirmed a significant upregulation of TGF-beta2 transcripts in ATRA-treated hair bulbs.

This study is the first to provide direct evidence that ATRA can indeed induce a catagen-like stage in human HF and suggests that this occurs, at least in part, via upregulation of TGF-beta2 in the DP. Therefore, topical TGF-beta2/TGF-beta receptor II antagonists deserve to be explored for the prevention and management of retinoid-induced hair loss.

Hairloss a couple months after the course is over is consistent with telogen effluvium. It can take several months after it begins for it to slow. If you look close at your hairline, can you see lots of very short hairs?

I have gone through hair loss due to the birth control pill and I know how much it sucks, especially being a girl... Before taking accutane I did my research and realised that hair loss can be a side effect. If it happens, it happens. Don't stress about it, it will only make it worse. And yes, it is totally normal to lose 50 hairs in the shower. I have lost tons of hair everyday for the last 5 years and I'm not bald yet.

Don't worry too much about it.

Hairloss a couple months after the course is over is consistent with telogen effluvium. It can take several months after it begins for it to slow. If you look close at your hairline, can you see lots of very short hairs?

beenthere when i look at my hairline yes i can see some small hairs trying to come in but not many i mean i could easily count them maybe 10-15 overall. the thing is though that these smaller newer finer hairs on my head have been shedding just as easily as the longer ones. even my derm was perplexed by this because it is normal to lose your longer hairs as they are in the process of dying etc, but since i'm losing the newer hairs as well it indicates that something isn't right. also the texture of my hair has changed. i used to have straight thick healthy hair and it now curls and is thin and weak.

beenthere when i look at my hairline yes i can see some small hairs trying to come in but not many i mean i could easily count them maybe 10-15 overall. the thing is though that these smaller newer finer hairs on my head have been shedding just as easily as the longer ones. even my derm was perplexed by this because it is normal to lose your longer hairs as they are in the process of dying etc, but since i'm losing the newer hairs as well it indicates that something isn't right. also the texture of my hair has changed. i used to have straight thick healthy hair and it now curls and is thin and weak.

i read about a girl that had her hair grow in with a totally different texture just like this. i believe she said 6 months after her treatment it started growing back in normal. i don't know, maybe you just need to give it time. you're only 2 months after your treatment, right? well i've seen posts where people waited 3-4 months to stop shedding their hair.

I am not disputing that Accutane does not cause hairloss genius, go back and read my post again...What I said is that Accutane causes a diffuse type of loss. Accutane could very well be responsible for inducing your diffuse or density loss but it is not likely to cause a typical MPB bald spot and temporal/hairline recession. These are patterns indicative of MPB or Androgenetic hairloss. It is quite possible that you are predisposed to MPB and the effects of Accutane on the follicles has possibly sped the process up.

Between starting to grow and falling out years later, each hair passes through three distinct stages. These have been given names: anagen (the growing phase - 1000 days), catagen (the intermediate phase - 10 days) and telogen (the shedding phase - 100 days).

Isotretnoin has been shown to produce a catagen-like stage in human HF (Hair Follicles) and suggests that this occurs, at least in part, via upregulation of TGF-beta2 in the DP (Dermal Papillia).

So basically, Isotretnoin has the potential to push a lot of the Anagen hairs (growing phase) into Catagen (intermediate phase) which is closely followed -within 10 days- by Telegon (shedding phase). So these hairs that are going into Telegon will remain shed for an average of 100 days before they begin the Anagen phase again. Hence why people usually see a return of hair in 2-3 months post Accutane treatment.

My point to all of this is that, Isotretnoin would not selectively induce hairloss be it catagen and telegon phases in a distinct pattern on your scalp (bald spots), it would be a diffuse thinning throughout your entire scalp. THe recession of your hairline and spot on the crown are probably due to a predisposition of MPB and that overall thinning from Isotretnoin has now made them visibly apparent.

I have read the full study you eluded to and have posted it below in case you need to refresh . The study refers to diffuse loss not pattern loss.

Towards dissecting the pathogenesis of retinoid-induced hair loss: all-trans retinoic acid induces premature hair follicle regression (catagen) by upregulation of transforming growth factor-beta2 in the dermal papilla.

Foitzik K, Spexard T, Nakamura M, Halsner U, Paus R.

Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.

Diffuse hair loss ranks among the most frequent and psychologically most distressing adverse effects of systemic therapy with retinoids, which severely limits their therapeutic use even where clinically desired.

Since the underlying mechanisms of retinoid-induced effluvium are as yet unknown, we have investigated the influence of the prototypic retinoid all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA, tretinoin) on the growth of human scalp hair follicles (HF) in culture. HF in the anagen VI stage of the hair cycle were cultured in the presence of 10(-8) or 10(-10) M ATRA. Compared with controls, hair shaft elongation declined significantly already after 2 d in the ATRA-treated group, and approximately 80% of the ATRA-treated HF had prematurely entered catagen-like stage at day 6, compared with 30% in the control group. This corresponded to an upregulation of apoptotic and a downregulation of Ki67-positive cells in ATRA-treated HF.

Since transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta has been implicated as a key inducer of catagen, we next studied whether ATRA treatment had any effect on follicular expression. TGF-beta2 immunoreactivity was detected in the outer root sheath of anagen VI scalp HF. In catagen follicles, TGF-beta2 was also expressed in the regressing epithelial strand. After 4 d of ATRA treatment, TGF-beta2 was significantly upregulated in anagen HF in the dermal papilla (DP) and the dermal sheath, 7, and TGF-beta neutralizing antibody partially abrogated at RA induced hair growth inhibition. Real-time PCR confirmed a significant upregulation of TGF-beta2 transcripts in ATRA-treated hair bulbs.

This study is the first to provide direct evidence that ATRA can indeed induce a catagen-like stage in human HF and suggests that this occurs, at least in part, via upregulation of TGF-beta2 in the DP. Therefore, topical TGF-beta2/TGF-beta receptor II antagonists deserve to be explored for the prevention and management of retinoid-induced hair loss.

i'm glad you're trying to sound somewhat intelligent by throwing terms at me from reading the article i posted. you my friend are the lowest of the low do some research of your own etc. if you fully understood the article and others about TGF BETA 2 you would realize that it can permanently damage the hair follicle which is why they were trying to find an antagonist to try to suppress it. read up on accutane it was originally a chemotherapy agent. and as for MPB and diffuse thinning also do some research. first off, i have diffuse thinning throughout my entire scalp and have lost 70% of my hair and since that's the case the areas most affected at first would be the temples and back area. Now why you ask? LOOK AT MOST GUYS EVEN ONES WITH FULL SETS OF HAIR LIKE I HAD A FEW MONTHS AGO AND SEE WHERE THEY TEND TO HAVE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF HAIR. IT'S THE BACK OF THE HEAD AND THE TEMPLES. THUS HAIRLOSS ALL OVER WOULD AFFECT THESE AREAS THE MOST AT FIRST. JESUS YOU REALLY NEED TO DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU POST SUCH STUPID INVALID RESPONSES.

Do you have any pics? I really want to see how this looks... Losing so much hair so fast is scary!