Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

Questions about accutane and birth control pills

First off, has anyone ever just "pretended" to take birth control pills while on accutane but actually didn't? I hate dealing with fake hormones in my body :dry:

And for those who took BCP's just to be on accutane, did you come off of it when you ended your course and see any reaction to your skin?

First off, has anyone ever just "pretended" to take birth control pills while on accutane but actually didn't? I hate dealing with fake hormones in my body :dry:

And for those who took BCP's just to be on accutane, did you come off of it when you ended your course and see any reaction to your skin?

some birth control pills will help you to cure acne, like Yasmin or Diane-35 . So add it ! besides you have to add it cause the accutane! don't lie to your doctor pretty lady

I actually didn't take BCP at all while on accutane (my derm knew me personally and knows I'm completely celibate) but after accutane I developed multiple ovarian cysts and had to start on BCP to control them (which I'm probably getting married next summer anyway and it's a smart move because I'll be using them from then until I want to have kids). I've seen absolutely zero change in my skin. I was off accutane 6 months+ before I started BCP. I know this is sort of the opposite of your question, but I just wanted to tell you I've seen no change.

I don't really condone lying to your derm, but in this case, I would say don't take them. BCPs can TRULY mess with your body - I have been on for 10 years and am sure that they have caused my hair to thin (to the point that I have maybe 1/3 of the hair I had when I started) - and I am petrified of going off due to the common side effects of hair loss and worsening of acne due to the fluctuation in hormone levels.

If you are not sexually active AT ALL, don't do it just for the accutane. It could seriously, seriously mess with your body. Hormones are very delicate things.

^Yeah thats why I dont understand why I have to be forced to use birth control just to go on accutane. I mean, im a virgin and I plan on staying one through the course... im responsible, I shouldn't have to put fake hormones in my body to prove it.

I got really ill on the pill. I didn't have the energy to get out of bed, I put on loads of weight and I felt sick. I tried several brands to no avail.

Probably just as well, as I found out afterwards that I should NOT have been prescribed it in the first place at Family Planning as there is a history of strokes and high blood pressure in my family.Artificial hormones such as the pill also increases the risk of breast cancer. It's simply not worth it.

Has it got to be artificial hormones? Can't they give you a hormone free IUD (coil) like Gynefix or Copper T? They're far more reliable than the pill anyway. You don't have to worry about pill popping or abstaining if you get sickness or diarrhoea.

All Family Planning is free in the UK

yea i get exactly what ur on about mandy!..im on roaccutane and my derm was totaly fine with me not takin any birth control..i said i wouldnt hav sex whilst on it (which is tru) and he was like yep i'llt ake ur word for it kinda thing. but yea seriously if u dont wanna go on birth control(totaly understandable for so many reasons) then dont!..jus make sure whatever you do u DONT put urself in a situation where u MIGHT hav sex..eg: drinking 2 much around the wrong ppl.

XxOoxX

lol not that u should b drinkin whilst on the drug anyways..mah bad :razz:

say you've found religion and quote the bible !!!

could save you $$$ !!

Just wondering, is there any way for the derm to know that I am NOT taking birth control? And when I go get a pap smear done for planned parenthood, is there a way they could find out? I'll just not take it if there is absolutely NO WAY they could ever find out.

They won't know. Just say you do. They'll take your word for it and there is no test to see if you are (I mean, maybe a test does exist, but they're not going to give it to you). Please don't go on the pill - although I am on it, and would hate to go off, I wish I would have never started. My body will never be 'normal' now.

I would recommend anything non-hormonal. Basically, I don't think it's good to mess with your hormones. Perhaps the IUD. Or condoms. The shot is just more hormones. My friend had the Depo Provera shot and had her period for 7 months straight, no joke.

Just wondering, is there any way for the derm to know that I am NOT taking birth control? And when I go get a pap smear done for planned parenthood, is there a way they could find out? I'll just not take it if there is absolutely NO WAY they could ever find out.

Yes, I lied and said I was taking birth control pills. I am 43 years old and my obgyn felt that it was dangerous at my age (could lead to heart attacks). I spent 10 years on birth control pills and they really messed up my body. I do not feel bad at all about lying. I think it is horrible that the FDA requires women to take a hormonal form of birth control - because as I said they really messed up my body.

I would recommend anything non-hormonal. Basically, I don't think it's good to mess with your hormones. Perhaps the IUD. Or condoms. The shot is just more hormones. My friend had the Depo Provera shot and had her period for 7 months straight, no joke.

As I said, if you have a family history of strokes and high blood pressure they won't prescribe the pill to you.

That's all you have to say!

I just told them I was on the pill and using condoms, they entered it in the system and that was that. I was never questioned nor tested.

The primary birth control choices IPledge gives you really borderlines on civil rights violations imo. You can go on hormonal or you can have your tubes tied.

Okay what i'll do is i'll keep playing along with the whole planned parenthood thing, get the free birth control that they give out, tell my derm how im on it.. and enter it as a form of birth control on Ipledge. I shouldn't have any problems after that i'm guessing. The thought of taking birth control makes me cringe since I hated taking Yasmin for that 1 month I was on it.

Okay what i'll do is i'll keep playing along with the whole planned parenthood thing, get the free birth control that they give out, tell my derm how im on it.. and enter it as a form of birth control on Ipledge. I shouldn't have any problems after that i'm guessing. The thought of taking birth control makes me cringe since I hated taking Yasmin for that 1 month I was on it.

Yeah its free through Planned Parenthood if I get some cheapy generic stuff ... I can't just go on and get something like Yasmin for free though haha.

I actually got a prescription for the bcp and never filled it. I just wanted to be able to say a brand if I was ever questioned.

I actually got a prescription for the bcp and never filled it. I just wanted to be able to say a brand if I was ever questioned.