Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-lxl-

Zinc and suppliments

i read that many people take zinc in their diet since its good for acne

what does it do anyways and what are some cautions to take?

rite now im taking 500mg of Vitamin C daily

Guest j3ff86

I was going to make a new thread but I'll just ask it here; which is the better of the two zinc supplements (zinc oxide & zinc gluconate)? Or does it not matter?

I doubt it really matters, at least when its ingested. Topically is a different matter though. I read a study which they checked serum zinc levels of people when they ingested diffferent types of zinc, I know zinc oxide and I think they might have tested zinc citrate, probably others. The fear was that that zinc oxide was a cheaper supplement, so it might not be absorbed as well. The study didn't show any difference. Just be sure to take it with food as it could upset your stomach otherwise, plus taking with food probably helps its absorption anyway.

I doubt it really matters, at least when its ingested. Topically is a different matter though. I read a study which they checked serum zinc levels of people when they ingested diffferent types of zinc, I know zinc oxide and I think they might have tested zinc citrate, probably others. The fear was that that zinc oxide was a cheaper supplement, so it might not be absorbed as well. The study didn't show any difference. Just be sure to take it with food as it could upset your stomach otherwise, plus taking with food probably helps its absorption anyway.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/135/5/1102

it compares zinc sulphate and zinc oxide.

I would imagine that zinc sulphate acts in much the same way as other forms of zinc like citrate piccinolate gluconate etc in that they separate in solution to form a positive sinc ion and and negative anion. Zinc oxide is generally not soluble, but the acid in the stomach is so strong its still able to break it down.

You also might consider zinc monomethionine (patented form of Zinc made by Optizinc). It contains a specific amino acid that helps the body better absorbe the zinc. It also contains copper. When you are taking more than the RDA level of zinc, it can deplete your copper levels in your body, so it is suggested that you take a copper suppliment in addition to the zinc.

Zinc helps with healing and also decreases inflamation in the body. There have been some studies comparing zinc to antibiotics and in some cases zinc was as effective or almost as effective as antibiotics in clearing acne (I'll have to post the link to the research later - I don't have it at the moment).

I was going to make a new thread but I'll just ask it here; which is the better of the two zinc supplements (zinc oxide & zinc gluconate)? Or does it not matter?

You also might consider zinc monomethionine (patented form of Zinc made by Optizinc). It contains a specific amino acid that helps the body better absorbe the zinc. It also contains copper. When you are taking more than the RDA level of zinc, it can deplete your copper levels in your body, so it is suggested that you take a copper suppliment in addition to the zinc.

Zinc helps with healing and also decreases inflamation in the body. There have been some studies comparing zinc to antibiotics and in some cases zinc was as effective or almost as effective as antibiotics in clearing acne (I'll have to post the link to the research later - I don't have it at the moment).

in men's health magazine they suggested taking 30mg of zinc per day to help with acne. they also recommended the "nature's cure" brand, which is zinc gluconate

i've been taking zinc for a while but i haven't really noticed anything...

maybe u should look into fish oil and green tea extract. people seem to have a lot more success with those.

i read that many people take zinc in their diet since its good for acne

what does it do anyways and what are some cautions to take?

rite now im taking 500mg of Vitamin C daily