Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Update: Actual log starts on page 2, if you want to skip this stuff...

I have a blog outside of this website and I thought I would post my entries here for anyone that is interested. I would appreciate any feedback or advice. :] (Ignore the part about what accutane is, unless you don't already know! lol I'm pretty much copy and pasting from the blog so you don't miss a second! (Ha like y'all are that interested in my zits!)

Here we go:

A little bit about me:

Hi. I'm a 15 year old female who suffers from moderate acne and horrendously oily skin. Like many before me, I've come to a point in my life where I'm sick of my appearance, and willing to take extreme measures to get my life back. So in comes Accutane. What is Accutane you say?

Accutane, also called Isotretinoin, is technically nuclear amounts of vitamin A packed into a tiny, yellow, pimple annailating capsule. When my derm recommended Accutane to me, she told me about all of the fatal side effects connected to the medication. Birth defects, blurred vision, vomiting, seizures, stroke, muscle weakness, depression, and death were a few I remember from the novel amount of symptoms she read from a little booklet. She then went on to assure me that it would definitely clear up my skin. So I could be crippled and retarded, BUT I would have clear skin....Great! Without hesitation I agreed to her suggestion.

So I have an appointment Tuesday to go over all of the paperwork (yes, there is paperwork!) and to take a pregnancy test and all the rest of the hooplah that you have to go through before they give you the prescription.

So just for reference I'll list all of the products I've tried so far and what success I've had with them.

--Benzaclin: the first thing my derm prescribed me, had little affect on my acne and made me feel like I had just dipped my face in fire.

--Doxycycline: little improvement

--Tazorac: also a slight improvement

--Clindamycin Phosphate: the equivalent of pouring acid on your face. 'nuff said.

--Retin-A: tried it in the lowest and highest strengths, worked wonders for my blackheads. Sadly it made my already oily skin darn near reflective.

--Minocycline: pretty much the only antibiotic that actually gave me a big improvement.

Plus the usual array of over-the-counter creams including Benzoyl Peroxide (in 2.5%, 5%, and 10%), Saylic Acid, medicated soap (for the dreaded bacne!), the list goes on...

And yet I still had acne. Big zits. Little zits. After years of agony and an unethical ammount of foundation, I decided to trade in my oil and zits for beautiful, matte skin. Let the war begin...

Thanks for reading! I go to the derm tommorow so wish me luck! Hopefully my journey shall begin soon!

Paper Work and Pregnancy Tests...

So I went to the derm today! The appointment was at 7:45 a.m. which sucked big time! But I guess I should get used to it with all these blood tests I'm going to have to do. Has anyone noticed that there are always a ton of old people in the waiting room? I always get nervous about not wearing any make-up to the appointment and when I get there all I see are 15 old geezers sitting around reading fishing magazines. It kinda creeps me out...

Anyways, once I finally got back there my derm gave the usual check-up questions and I anxiously reminded her that I was supposed to go on Accutane. She gave me a funny look and shook her head. She said, "No, I think we should try birth control first." No. I want Accutane! Was she on crack? After months of trying to persuade me to go on the drug and now she wants me to take birth control? After a few moments of persistently saying I wanted Accutane she finally agreed. So off into another room I went to fill out the oh so famous mound of IPLEDGE paperwork. After about an hour spent signing my name a zillion times, assuring over and over that I would not get pregnant, and looking at pictures of babies with cone heads, I was done with the dreaded paperwork.

Then I went to go get my blood taken for the pregnancy test. I actually kind of like it, it fascinates me to watch my blood pool into the vials. (Does that make me weird?)

So in a month I come back and get my blood taken again, then I can FINALLY begin! Yeesh....I hate all this waiting, I'm so impatient.

But guess what? I'm going to be on Accutane!

Ahh...it's music to my ears...

--Benzaclin: the first thing my derm prescribed me, had little affect on my acne and made me feel like I had just dipped my face in fire.

--Doxycycline: little improvement

--Tazorac: also a slight improvement

--Clindamycin Phosphate: the equivalent of pouring acid on your face. 'nuff said.

--Retin-A: tried it in the lowest and highest strengths, worked wonders for my blackheads. Sadly it made my already oily skin darn near reflective.

--Minocycline: pretty much the only antibiotic that actually gave me a big improvement.

Plus the usual array of over-the-counter creams including Benzoyl Peroxide (in 2.5%, 5%, and 10%), Saylic Acid, medicated soap (for the dreaded bacne!), the list goes on...

haha i adore your positive attitude towards all this! sounds like you've been taken through all the other detours before the accutane like me, and like many others i too wish i had started sooner...boy would life have been soo much easier now. ah no regrets! man i wish i went to your derma with old ppl in the waiting room, 'cause i go to one smack in the heart of hollywood, and i swear the last time i went to my derma i saw the most beautiful woman i've ever seen sitting there right across from me, and the second most beautiful next to me...and pow went my self-esteem. ha!

o and i don't think it's weird about the watching blood being drawn thing, because i find it interesting too! maybe that makes me weird too. might have a little something to do with the fact that i'd like to be a surgeon. :think:

i hope you take care n thanks for posting. your encouragements really do help. can't wait till you start and i can be there for you too.

~jenny

Thanks for posting! No problem, I know how it feels. All my friends have perfect skin and my family thinks me being upset over this is just me being too vain. I'm so glad I found this place were people know what I'm going through and I don't feel like a freak talking about my problems. Thanks and I'll keep up with your progress too! ;)

Thanks for posting! No problem, I know how it feels. All my friends have perfect skin and my family thinks me being upset over this is just me being too vain. I'm so glad I found this place were people know what I'm going through and I don't feel like a freak talking about my problems. Thanks and I'll keep up with your progress too! ;)

I'm a 15 year old guy, and I've started on the 9th. Fill me in on how it's going for you. So far on day 5, my lips have been dry a bit, and I've only noticed whiteheads and the skin around my nose and lip is getting a bit drier. Good luck, fill me in, maybe we can compare pics.

Well I'm back from the derm! I'll be on 40 mg for 2 wks then 80 mg after that.

I'm 5"6 and 113 pounds, do y'all think the dose is a little too high?

Well I start Thursday so I guess we'll see how things go...

Thanks!

Yeah IPledge is a major pain....

I have to stop my minocyclin for 3 days before starting and I'm afraid of what my face will look like too. And the dreaded IB! So I know your pain...

I just can't wait to run out of the house with zero makeup on a be comfortable with it.

Well good luck with your course too!

Thanks!

Yeah IPledge is a major pain....

I have to stop my minocyclin for 3 days before starting and I'm afraid of what my face will look like too. And the dreaded IB! So I know your pain...

I just can't wait to run out of the house with zero makeup on a be comfortable with it.

Well good luck with your course too!

I know! I'm going to hate not being able to go to the beach...

Umm...my course could be anywhere from 4 to 6 months, I guess it'll depend on how fast I clear up.

I start tommorow!! I'm nervous!

(The stupid pharmacy is claiming that I'm not registered in IPLEDGE, but I am! Errgh...I hope I can fill my medicine tommorow or I will be seriously mad...)

I brought a printout of the site after I took the quiz and answered their questions, with me to the pharmacy, just in case they said no i couldn't get it, or that there was no record... might wanna consider doing that or something.... :/

good luck!

I know! I'm going to hate not being able to go to the beach...

Umm...my course could be anywhere from 4 to 6 months, I guess it'll depend on how fast I clear up.

I start tommorow!! I'm nervous!

(The stupid pharmacy is claiming that I'm not registered in IPLEDGE, but I am! Errgh...I hope I can fill my medicine tommorow or I will be seriously mad...)

Wow that really stinks!

Well good news, after struggling with the pharmicist for a while, we finally got the problem worked out and I should be able to fill my prescription tommorow.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I feel like I can't talk to my friends about it (they all have crystal clear skin) so it's nice to come here and get support. ;)

I'll report how my first pill went tommorow. We'll see how it goes...

Day 1

This afternoon I finally was able to take my first pill! All the pharmacy had was that sortret (sp?) stuff, so that's what I'll be taking. It took me about 5 minutes of frustration trying to get the dang pill out of the packaging. Obviously not much going on yet, but I've stocked up on lotion and eye drops so I'm prepared for the worst.

Dose: 40 mg

Side Effects: A few minutes after taking the pill I got a rush of dizzyness, but I think it was probably from being exhausted or just my mind playing tricks on me.

Day 2

Well I made it to day two! I was kind of scared taking it, and I guess I expected my nose to fall off or something, but actually I feel great. The only side effect I have is a little bit of skin sensitivity (whole body), but it isn't severe or anything. I'm really freakin out about the IB, so I'm making a trip to the makeup store to buy me some heavy duty foundation and concealer. Ugh, I refuse to go to school looking like my face has exploded, especially since everyone at my school is so pretty and they all have clear skin....and they're pretty judgemental.

So I'm pretty much just waiting for something to happen.

Dose: 40mg

Side Effects: slight skin sensitivity

Does any one have any good foundation/concealer recommendations?

Day 3

I went and got some makeup, I got Revlon colorstay and L'Oreal truematch concealer. I hope they work good! I went to a resteraunt with my mom for mother's day and did some shopping. Then I went with my dad and we got my mom a mother's day gift. Boy am I POOPED! I think I'm going to head to bed after I write this. Talk to y'all tommorow.

I think I might be getting the IB, my skin feels really oily and it feels like something is about to pop up. crap....

Side Effects: slightly sore, more tired than usual, slightly chapped lips.

Dosage: 40mg