Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stoddart

Shaving Problems (bumps) Resolved (FINALLY!)

Even though I've had great success on the DKR, I've struggled for years with razor bumps and tried virtually everything. Yes, I've switched to wet shaving, tried single-edged traditional blades, only shaved with the grain.

But the problem I've had is that NONE of the methods, no matter how diligently I practiced the "correct form and technique" posted on "wetshaver" forums would give me a close shave. So the dilemma was, prevent bumps but walk away from the sink with an immediate 'five o'clock' shadow that felt like sandpaper.

I've finally hit a formula that allows me to (1) use a multi-blade razor, (2) shave against the grain and get a close shave and (3) avoid razor bumps.

This is a little long and may seem complicated, but for those who have been exasperated by unhelpful lectures about "only shave with the grain" and know how long it takes to recover from a razor bump, please give it a try. I've found it's definitely worth the extra effort and not that difficult to incorporate in the end.

1. Shave in the Shower. Nothing beats the environment's heat and moisture for preparing your beard, not a hot towel or even shaving immediately after a hot shower. So do purchase a fog-free mirror. However...

2. Use a high-quality shower filter. Ever read the mandatory environmental reports your municipal water supplier sends every year? That stuff can really irritate or dry out your skin, particularly when combined with shaving. I use a Wellness filter; it's a little pricey. Another option that has received good reviews is the Aquasana.

3. Reduce bacteria on your skin surface by cleansing with a mild anti-bacterial cleanser. Whether you see blood or feel pain or not, you are making microscopic cuts in your skin every time you shave. If you haven't killed the bacteria on the surface first, it can enter these cuts and cause problems, from irritation to bumps or infections. A mild BP-based cleanser (at 2 - 5% max) is a good choice here.

4. Use a gentle, fragrance-free "sensitive" shaving gel. I use Aveeno; Nivea Sensitive is another good choice. You can usually tell a good one because it has no color or scent.

5. Use a high-quality badger brush to apply the gel. Badger brushes prep the beard and gently clean the pores; won't go into all the details here but you can Google any wet shaver's forum and find literally ten thousand posts on why you should use a brush. However....

6. Disinfect and Rotate Brushes! Not enough attention is paid on wet shaver boards to the fact that these are another source of bacterial growth. Clean your brushes with the same mild anti-bacterial cleanser that you use on your face. Be very careful about using harsh disinfectants like alcohol as they can damage the brush. Having two brushes will allow you to rotate them so they dry out completely between uses, which further reduces the chance of bacterial build-up.

7. After shaving, wash again with mild anti-bacterial cleanser.

8. Disinfect razor between uses and replace frequently. I spritz mine with hydrogen peroxide. Again, alcohol is too harsh and destroys the lubricating strip on multi-blade cartridges.

9. After drying, continue with DK regimen (BP, moisturizer).

Using this system, I get a 'baby-butt' smooth shave and have not had a new razor bump emerge in over 4 months (I was averaging 2-3 every month prior). My existing bumps have healed and the remaining redmarks are fading, partly through the use of Sudocrem.

That's what worked for me! Might not work for everyone, but thought I'd pass along...

Stodd

Some good info here.

I'd just like to add if all else fails to try a beard trimmer. It works for some people including myself but leaves a slight stubble, but zero irritation. But if the above method works fine then great.

thats great it totally solved the problem! not many people find their 'cure' for something like that, so well done it sounds like a lot of trial and error finally paid off.

ive got sensitive skin and always found shaving a bit of a drama as well (not to the same extent as you though), and i tried the different razors with different creams/gels etc. ive actually got a badger brush and some shave cream in my bathroom right now, but i stopped using it because it didnt seem to help much. ive also tried everything except a cut-throat razor, and finally settled happily with what ive got now

this is what i do that works great for me: i always shave after a shower and shave with the grain. i use gillette mach 3 turbo gel fragrance free, a gillette sensor excel razor (an older two blade one that pivots in the centre), and nivea alcohol free sensitive after shave balm. i know i have mentioned specific products here but it is only because they are the only ones that ever really worked properly (and luckily they are all available at the supermarket). i am totally happy with the result and havent even bothered trying anything else for a couple of years now.

I'm 21 and for years I've been shaving before a shower, well 2 weeks ago I bought me a fogless mirror for my shower and I now shave in the shower towards the end, I've noticed a huge difference and it feels great! :)

Are all shaving foams or gels non-comedogenic that state for ‘sensitive’ skin?

I’ve looked at all the shaving foams and gels and non actually state they are non-comedogenic?

Stoddart,

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Shaving seems to be one of those areas that can be difficult to figure out for some guys, you've provided some good input.

Are all shaving foams or gels non-comedogenic that state for ‘sensitive’ skin?

I’ve looked at all the shaving foams and gels and non actually state they are non-comedogenic?