Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CB07

Cottage cheese bad for skin?

I'm sure that many people react negatively to cottage cheese but I love it, no problems that I can tell. Bodybuilders love the stuff.

Im going to stop consuming milk and dairy products, wonder if my acne is gonna improve.

From what I have read, alot of people believe that food allergies are a cause or at least contribute to acne. Some of the most common foods for allergies are: beef, sugar, chocolate, eggs, citrus fruits, coffee, corn, malt, milk, pork, potatoes, soybeans, spices, tomatoes, wheat and yeast. One of the side effects of an allergic reaction is inflammation hence the big red swollen type acne. Alot of people have had success in treating their acne by simply identifying a food that they are allergic to.

Depends if dairy is ok with your body. Personally, cottage cheese is harmful because I can't digest the casein protein so any cheese kills my stomach. Dairy tends to break me out around my mouth for some weird reason.

iodine is the least of your problems when it comes to dairy

Can you explain - hopefully with a respectful reference (not wikepedia for god sakes - anyone can post anything on that site, you'd be shot by a university professor if you used it in a paper) why dairy is so harmful, or contributes to acne?

As far from personal experience - my acne never changed when i began eating heaps of it every night before bed (high casein protein with 0 fat - perfect for bodybuilding).

Most milk that is found in grocery stores is terrible for your health for the following reasons:

1. It comes from cows that are fed high-protein soybean meal and growth hormones to increase production. Both increase a cow's risk of developing mastitis, liver problems, and pituitary gland problems, leading to frequent doses of antibiotics. Clearly, regular exposure to synthetic growth hormone and antibiotic residues is not congruent with experiencing your best health.

2. Conventional milk is pasteurized, a process that exposes milk to high temperatures and results in the following:

3. Denaturing of milk proteins, making them less usable and even harmful to your body

4. Destruction of enzymes, one of which is phosphatase, an enzyme that helps your body properly absorb the calcium found in milk

5. Destruction of vitamins B12, B6, and C

6. Destruction of friendly bacteria

Some conventional milk is homogenized, a process that forces healthy fat in milk through a fine straining device, which allows homogenized milk to be consistent in texture and taste rather than have globules of fat float to the surface. The problem with homogenization is that it can alter healthy fat and cholesterol in milk in such a way that they are more susceptible to forming free radicals.

Even if you can find a local source of healthy milk, it's possible that it may not be a healthy choice for you. Many people are unable to properly digest milk because they lack an enzyme called lactase, necessary to break down lactose, the natural sugar in milk. Some people have a difficult time digesting casein, a major protein found in milk. Ongoing exposure to casein that is not properly broken down has been linked to chronic ear infections, nasal congestion, acne, eczema, a variety of autoimmune illnesses, and even cancer.

Fermenting or souring healthy milk to form yogurt, kefir, and clabber helps to breakdown lactose and predigest casein, making these foods healthy choices for many people. Please keep in mind that yogurt and kefir found in most stores is made from unhealthy milk. At the very least, you should make sure that store-bought yogurt and kefir are made from organic milk.

Butter contains very little lactose and casein, which makes it another good choice for many. Butter made from healthy, unpasteurized milk is best, but varieties made from organic, pasteurized milk are acceptable choices for most people.

Cheese is highly concentrated with casein, so should only be eaten by those who don't show signs of intolerance to casein. It is best to eat cheeses made from healthy milk, and to completely avoid processed cheese which contains hydrogenated oils and harmful emulsifiers, extenders, and phosphates.

Does that help? I personally dont have any problems with dairy products as far as food sensitivity/allergies. But like most things any more, mass production makes nearly everything we eat unhealthy. It's a shame. Makes you want to go out and buy a cow to keep in your back yard. Lorrie

Info taken from: http://drbenkim.com/articles-dairy.html

(not wikepedia for god sakes - anyone can post anything on that site, you'd be shot by a university professor if you used it in a paper)

It's is not true that "anyone can post anything"

For example many articles are locked from editing altogether, and some must be fact checked before additional information can be added.

Just because Wikipedia is made and edited by folks like you and I, does not mean it is unreliable.

In fact, much of the information it contains has been taken from other credible sources, such as university professors themselves (who've also been known to edit Wikipedia)

When Wikipedia first started there weren't strict controls as there are now.

Most of the time when a person intentionally posts false information, the entry is fixed that same day.

Nearly all important articles are not only fact checked, but references are listed.

When an article is lacking;

- Facts

- References

- Citation

- Et cetera

You are notitified at the top of the page and immediately preceeding the sections of the page.

I'm not saying Wikipedia is perfect, but it is a good resource.

Rather than bashing Wikipedia as a whole and refusing to refer to it for information, take a moment to read the page on whatever subject you are concerned with, then if you find a problem make a contribution to Wikipedia by editing the page thereby making Wikipedia more accurate, more complete, OR BOTH.

Guest j3ff86
I think it has iodine.

Your body needs iodine.

I'm sure that many people react negatively to cottage cheese but I love it, no problems that I can tell. Bodybuilders love the stuff.

I agree. I love cottage cheese.

(not wikepedia for god sakes - anyone can post anything on that site, you'd be shot by a university professor if you used it in a paper)

For example many articles are locked from editing altogether, and some must be fact checked before additional information can be added.

Just because Wikipedia is made and edited by folks like you and I, does not mean it is unreliable.

In fact, much of the information it contains has been taken from other credible sources, such as university professors themselves (who've also been known to edit Wikipedia)

Most of the time when a person intentionally posts false information, the entry is fixed that same day.

Nearly all important articles are not only fact checked, but references are listed.

- Facts

- References

- Citation

- Et cetera

You are notitified at the top of the page and immediately preceeding the sections of the page.

Rather than bashing Wikipedia as a whole and refusing to refer to it for information, take a moment to read the page on whatever subject you are concerned with, then if you find a problem make a contribution to Wikipedia by editing the page thereby making Wikipedia more accurate, more complete, OR BOTH.

It's a decent resource for general knowledge. For details - more often than not, it's incorrect. My 2 most recent examples i can provide that occurred in the last week:

1. I took a VP tour of the royal canadian mint, behind closed doors - learned alot. The information about the coins and some processes on wikipedia is completely backwards and incorrect.

2. After doing a project on business and gov't relations, i showed my prof - who's written a textbook a wikipedia site that quoted him. he was appalled since he'd never say such a thing.

Because it is edited by folks like you and i, it is exactly that - unreliable. The 'strict controls' you claim they have now, are still not very strict.

Cottage cheese is bad for everything...

Please explain.

Because it is edited by folks like you and i, it is exactly that - unreliable. The 'strict controls' you claim they have now, are still not very strict.

Just saying that's it's unreliable is an unreliable assesment of Wikipedia.

That statement is making an assumption about Wikipedia as a whole, when it's made of hundreds of thousands of entries.

Sure some things are incorrect, but not everything, and not even most of it.

The controls aren't as strict as tey could be, but they are strict enough to encourage positive improvement by our peers.

If the controls were too strict people wouldn't contribute at all.

So the controls are relaxed, which means that in order to be ultimately accurate we need to rely on people who notice mistakes to correct them by editing entries themselves.

Remember 90+% of people who contribute to Wikipedia do not get compensated for doing so

Anyhow, a narrowminded person only relies on one or a couple sources of information while the thourough person uses all the available sources presented to them to make the best assesment they can on any subject.

Wikipedia should not be used as a difinitive resource, but it also should not be dismissed altogther.

- Facts

- References

- Citation

- Et cetera

Wikipedia is a terrible source and is highly unreliable. All my college professors say, "Never use wikipedia".

Its written by users with no credentials and has long as the general population agrees with the article, it will not get changed. Even though its cited, the information should still not be taken from the article bare, rather, the information must be taken from the cited articles. You are relying on the person who wrote the article to have interpreted the factual data correctly, and transferred it to Wikipedia legibly.