Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hello,

i just got prescribed lymecycline (brand name tetralysal - an oral tetracycline anti-biotic) and isotrexin (a topical gel, erythromycin 2% and isotretinoin 0.05%).

any thoughts on this combination? anyone else tried it?

i've had acne for over a decade. i've taken lots of antibiotics before going back a good few years (oxytetracycline and others - i forget the names). i was also on trimethoprim about a year ago. more recently i've been on megadoses of vitamin b5 and tried red / blue light therapy. in the distant past i've been on retin-a and erythromycin (oral and solution forms). i also had n-lite lazer treatment about 4 years ago! tried loads of other treatments as well. so many i forget them all.

anyway... i never wanted to go back to anti-biotics and topicals but in desperation i have done. i just hope to get somewhere this time.

tim

Well, topical isotretinoin is not something i'd use. It is not any more effective than other topical retinoids, but it is much more irritating from what i've read - there are better choices out there imo. I would also not take the systemic antibiotic - they've been nothing but trouble for me. I think that they are really only suitable if you need to clear up for an event (like prom, a wedding, etc) but not as a long-term solution.

hi,

is isotrexin a retinoid? i'm using a v small amount so as not to irritate me coz i am worried about that.

yeh, i'm not keen on taking anti-biotics long term either, as they do seem like a quick fix, so i agree with you on that. i just felt desperate so started on them again. dermatologists don't have any other ideas it seems, esp. as i can't have accutane.

ta for your thoughts,

tim

hey. i have been given the exact same combination as you and ive been using it for a few weeks. so far i havent really noticed any changes at all. i havnt broken out and ive had no irritation from the isotrexin gel. without trying to sound pessimistic i seriously doubt this will do anything for me and im only on it coz the derm wuldnt give me accutane as it was my first visit. he was an arse lol. personally i wuld try it and see what happens like i am but i cant say that it has done much so far. early days tho so i'll see. i'll keep you posted of my progress if you like :)

hi daniel,

yeh i get the impression that this is one of the last things they try before they consider accutane.

anyway, i'm hoping it helps. i like the isotrexin gel although it does make my skin peel a bit.

good luck and let me know if you get any success with it!

tim

hi daniel,

yeh i get the impression that this is one of the last things they try before they consider accutane.

anyway, i'm hoping it helps. i like the isotrexin gel although it does make my skin peel a bit.

good luck and let me know if you get any success with it!

tim

yeh my skin has gone a little flaky so i only use it at night. i was given it mainly for scarring and red marks and i think it is fading them a little. wat other treatments have u tried?

well im really depressed now

so far its been no better than vitamin b5 megadosing and red / blue home light therapy

i just feel desperate again now

can you take accutane at the same time as an antidepressent drug? what about if you have kerataconus (a cornial disease)?

tim

erm my guess would be that you wouldnt be able to take anti depressants with accutane but that would be a question you would have to ask your derm. im sorry the treatments aint working too well for u. im not really noticing much different with my acne but my scars and marks are going coz of the gel which is cool. hope things get better for u man.

hello,

i've now doubled the dose of lymecycline and i don't use the isotrexin as it made my skin look worse imo.

i think tbh that all i can do is try to control my acne as much as possible through anti-biotics, vitamin b5, red-blue light therapy, a generally healthy diet, and sometimes exfoliation with scrubs or facial steaming.

i doubt very much i can get any clearer than i am now unless i had accutane.

so it's a waiting game. i just hope that by 30 i'll be clear and ready to start my life.

tim

ah man i no where ur comin from. this treatment is just being used til i can get accutane aswell. i really hope everything works out for u and u have some luck with this treatment. :)

cheers. i think i'll just get put on yet another antibiotic. i'm not sure whether i should just forget treatments from a dermatologist. i dont believe antibiotics will help me.

maybe i should just do research and treat myself. i do that already with light treatment, diet, supplements, salt baths etc. etc.

oh well....

tim

hello everyone

Been on doxycycline for 2months, it took a lot of the redness away quickly and the acne reduced. The lumps which i had under the skin has all gone, its nearly all smooth. Went to my doc today, he gave me lymecycline for 2 months. Im hoping this will do the trick.

For doxy to work, it takes about 4 weeks to start working, i would say 5-6 weeks you start to see your skin change, not as red, less breakouts, breakouts may last longer, bad breakouts now and then, it happends.

Give me your views on "lymecycline" and is it stronger than doxy?

Thanks

--------------------

Let's fight it together.