Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone,

I recently emailed Julie Robins, the owner of PerfectComplexion.net because i was interested in some of her products. I told her my problems and asked her to recommend her products. This topic has probably been brought up many times, but i thought this letter might be worth sharing. Below is our email conversation:

> Hi Julie,

>

> I'm interested in buying some of your products but i am not sure which. I

am 19 years old, male, with acne prone skin. I experience mild breakouts,

but they leave marks that take months to fade. At the moment i am using

Benzoyl Peroxide medication, but that doesn't seem to be very effective. I

want to eliminate breakouts altogether as well as erase the marks left by

old acne. Thank you very much.

>

> Jake.

Hi Jake

first you must toss out the bottle of BP. Bp will single handedly ruin your

skin beyond repair by shutting off your oil glands. BP stops acne by

inhibiting the oil..but OIL MY DEAR is not the culprit, it is sebum

bacteria. Half of the skin issues we get are created BY the pimple

creams.Oil carrys antibodies to the skin. BP shuts them off.

The reason you have scars is b/c BP has robbed your skin of the necessary

melanin that makes scar tissue that conceals the skin flaw,. thats why

people who use BP have purple and red marks...the acne healed without ANY

DNA REPAIR....

I'd rather have pimples then dark scars....

TCA LATTE is a good way to go for you. It a natural astringent so it can

stop sebum without shutting your oil down. AND leave me a note to send you

royal jelly to try as a compress 2 times per week. THIS SPEEDS UP the

cellular metabolism that is harmed from using BP..bp shuts down the oil so

there is no metabolism. I have 19 year olds who write to me that they have

WRINKLES ALREADY from using BP....it causes chemical dependency,. since your

skin is not functioning on its own.

Take Care

Jule

Can anyone else relate to the scenario she talked about? When i was younger, pimples never left red/purple marks... it wasn't until i started using all these products that i noticed a problem. Although i must admit, CSR Gel has given me some success, especially when applied to a new pimple (sometimes they would just disappear within the hour.) But on other blemishes, it feels like the medication is doing nothing at all.

For now i'm going to use BP only for spot treatment, what do you guys think?

Guest Sincerely Me

I think that a lot of what she is saying may just be so you buy more of her products? Did you ever consider that? If BP was so horrible, people wouldn't use it with so much success. Everyone is different, so while it may not work for you, and others and many people have success with it, I don't think BP can actually cause more breakouts.Sure BP leaves your skin dry, but it doesn't really rob your skin of anything in the long run.

Maybe since you have gotten older, your acne became a bit more severe, or you have touched it which contribute to the redmarks. Honestly, when I was younger, I used BP, and it never caused redmarks...I only started getting them when my acne got worse and when I would constantly pick at my face.

You can do whatever you think works for me. Use BP as a spot treatment, and tell us how you like the other products!

The "expert" you wrote is a total idiot. Is she even talking about benzoyl peroxide? BP does NOT affect your oil glands! What BP does is kill acne bacteria with oxygen, plain and simple. In fact, some people find that a BP regimen won't work for them because it doesn't do anything about their excessive oil production, and that's why they need to use something that actually does affect oil production (typically accutane). By her reasoning, accutane would be the worst thing you could do for acne because it drastically reduces oil production, somehow preventing antibodies from reaching the skin or whatever nonsense she claims. Why is accutane the magic anti-acne drug, then, if oil production needs to be increased? I don't know what she's talking about with this BP robbing your skin of melanin business, either. Her knowledge about BP is completely off and her claim that her astringent can "stop sebum without shutting your oil down" is insane, since the sebum produced in your skin by sebocytes (a mix of various lipids) IS the oil you see on your skin. I would not trust anything this so-called expert tells you.

Guest j3ff86

I wouldn't take someone who doesn't capitalize the first word in a sentence too seriously. She's obviously using scare tactics to make you buy her product.

Guest c'est un rêve

she might have a point

i said it a long time ago, BP ROAST ZITS, it does nothing for scars, marks or anything else, it just burns the zit therefore reducing the size of the pimple

Well, I'm pretty sure that BP has it's side effects and there is some truth to what she's saying.

I'd love it if you could find a single statement in her email that is supported by medical literature. The lady has a fundamentally messed up understanding of the acne prevention mechanism of BP, which is one of the aspects of the medication that is well-researched. She has no ground to make claims like "it shuts off your oil glands" or whatever, there's absolutely nothing to support or even anecdotally suggest that BP does that. Usually when people hate on BP to promote their "all-natural" overpriced mix of essential oils and whatever, they at least go for somewhat more legitimate criticisms like the mouse tumor promotion research, but she didn't seem to make it that far.

I have to agree with those who have said this "expert" who wrote that e-mail is completely wrong about how BP works. As previously mentioned, it works by killing the acne bacteria (it also has slight a impact on exfoliation and peeling, which can help clear skin) - but its primary effect is to kill the bacteria by delivering oxygen to the pore. There is no research that shows BP having any of the negative effects that she mentions in her e-mail. Granted, some people do experience other negative side effects (e.g., occasionally people have an allergic reaction - this is pretty rare, or they use a product that is too strong or start using the product too quickly or use too much of it and they get dry, red skin). Nothing in her e-mail sounds correct to me. I think she is just using scare tactics to sell her own products.

She's a nut. Bp does not shut down oil glands, as someone mentioned before it kills bacteria. It could make wrinkles potentially worse over time since bp does create free radicals in the skin. But I HIGHLY doubt that a person at 19 would have wrinkles solely caused by bp. Simply put, bp is one of the best methods of controlling all types of acne tried and true. If it is still not good enough, you can try retinoids (tazorac, retina, differin or accutane) or if a female you can try birth control or Spiro. I would stay away from antibiotics, because while they work for a decent amount of people, they still dont control oil, you will become immune to them eventually, and over use of antibiotics in general will ravage your digestive track and cause all sorts of antibiotic resistant bugs to pop up in your system. Right now, I'm trying clearogen which is a bp product which claims to control oil by inhibiting dht as well. Search the thread about it if you are interested.

I have issues with anyone from a cosmetic company selling products who is answering questions when the motive is to sell its "own" products.

I'm not saying there may not be some truth to what the e-mail states. However, my dermatologist was very firm in letting me know that BP will assist in reducing oil.. but not a whole lot, nor does it stop the flow of sebum by any means - so to say it strongly affects the oil glands is not accurate.. therefore I lost respect for the woman from that moment in reading the e-mail.