Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Real BucK

If allergic an antibiotic, how long does it take to see side affects?

If allergic, how long does it take to see side affects? I started bactrim yesterday and I want to make sure I notice any allergies asap because it seems they are common. Someone please let me know thanks.

Guest Sincerely Me

You usually notice not too long after taking it - hours, usually.If you are allergic to a med, hives are one thing you should definitely look for.

I started on trimethoprim a few weeks ago. I had an allergic reaction after I took the third dose. My doctor told me not to take it for a week then try again. I did, and reacted again after the fourth dose. I think, for me, I needed to get to a certain level before I reacted, once I reached that level the reaction happened a few hours later.

Can take up to 3 weeks to have a reaction from Bactrim (sulfa). Look for fever, sore throat, aches - basically flu like symptoms which are then followed by a rash/hives. If you make it to the 3 week mark, you will probably be ok.

on bactrim / septra ds, look for a rash on your arms, or stomach/chest.... also, dizziness, blurred vision,.... blackouts... .. google it... thats what I did the first time, I also carried around benedryll... (just in case)... my mom wasn't sure if it was the same medication my brother had an allergic reaction to when he was little...

online though, ppl have reported getting an allergy to septra / bactrim as late as a month or few months, and as early as the first day, so it just depends on your body chemistry...