Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antibioticsboo

Antibiotic rampage

Hi,

two months ago I had an infection and the doc put me on heavy antibiotics, amoxy and clinamycin.

I have never had problems with my skin except for the occasional pimple from accidently ingesting Splenda.

During the antibiotic rampage in my body my skin was fine, of course, NOW that I am off of them my skin is a freaking mess! I have medium painful pimples and a whole bunch of little teeny ones (like sand). Nothing is working and I don't want to take antibiotics again. I can't work out because it gets even worse.

What the heck am I supposed to do? I thought about getting a colonic, since they seem to get rid of all the crap the antibiotics left sitting around inside (dead bacteria), thought about going back on the pill (38).

Any suggestions?

Booooooo :wall:

Hmm - I have never heard of antiobiotics causing acne in the short term - they are supposed to help by killing the bacteria that contribute to the creation of a pimple. If you want to counter the negative effects of antibiotics however, you could try taking a good quality probiotic which will increase the good bacteria in your system which would have been killed by the antibiotics. I don't know if that will help to get rid of acne, especially if it is hormonal, but it can't hurt. Good luck!

Regarding antibiotics... in fact, I believe they can cause a disruption. Acne is caused by an imbalance in hormones, too much testosterone, to my understanding (found this doing google searches.)

I recently underwent very, very heavy abx treatment for infertility... am now experiencing hair loss which the doctor things is due to the male hormone-producing side of my hormones healing faster than the female hormone side. Too much testosterone in my system right now. Excess testosterone causes hair loss and guess what else...? Acne.

So, I think yes, there can be a link... not sure if you're male or female, but if you're female, this could be part of the problem...

Regarding antibiotics... in fact, I believe they can cause a disruption. Acne is caused by an imbalance in hormones, too much testosterone, to my understanding (found this doing google searches.)

I recently underwent very, very heavy abx treatment for infertility... am now experiencing hair loss which the doctor things is due to the male hormone-producing side of my hormones healing faster than the female hormone side. Too much testosterone in my system right now. Excess testosterone causes hair loss and guess what else...? Acne.

So, I think yes, there can be a link... not sure if you're male or female, but if you're female, this could be part of the problem...

Wow, that's pretty weird..like mentioned above I have never heard of that happeneing to anyone. My dody doesn't tolerate antibiotics well either but breakouts..that's craxy! I hope it's short lived and you'll go back to beautiful skin soon.

I am actually okay now. The Retin A helped a lot. I did go jogging and got a few new flare ups. Like I said the dead crap is coming out thru my largest pores which just happen to be on the face. Eventually I will get them all out. I just didn't want them to come out all at ONCE! Good grief! I assume this will continue for at least six months until it is all purged. One or two I can handle.

Thanks!

Hi,

two months ago I had an infection and the doc put me on heavy antibiotics, amoxy and clinamycin.

I have never had problems with my skin except for the occasional pimple from accidently ingesting Splenda.

During the antibiotic rampage in my body my skin was fine, of course, NOW that I am off of them my skin is a freaking mess! I have medium painful pimples and a whole bunch of little teeny ones (like sand). Nothing is working and I don't want to take antibiotics again. I can't work out because it gets even worse.

What the heck am I supposed to do? I thought about getting a colonic, since they seem to get rid of all the crap the antibiotics left sitting around inside (dead bacteria), thought about going back on the pill (38).

Any suggestions?

Booooooo :wall:

Hi,

Stop taking antibiotics. They help some people but in the long run I believe they are only needed if you have a bad infection. Even people who do take antibiotics for skin, when they stop taking them, it gets worse. Antibiotics are bad for your body. They wipe out the bad bacteria, true, but they also wipe out the good so when you stop taking them all the dead bacteria need a way to purge out of your body and the biggest pores in your body are on your face, back and chest. AND you have no good bacteria to fight the bad. I do believe in topical applications of antibiotics. The safest way to go. If you read up on Clindamycin (oral and topical (wipes)) you will see they cause tiny pimples and a few big pimples in most people. I recommend you taking a probiotics right now. Go to your local health store and ask the person (or send someone) for their best product for probiotics they sell. Take them immediately. Then ask your derm for an RX for Erythromycin (SP?) wipes and for a small tube of Retin A. They don't cause pimples and they are kinder, though not completely (redness and peeling), to your skin. Any topical application you put on your skin will cause some redness and peeling. Here is what I did when it first started.

At night I wash my face with a cleanser that contains salicylic acid (Clear & Clean Advantage Acne Cleanser), benz peroxide doesn't work on my skin. I let it sit for two minutes. Then I applied Retin A all over the nasty bits on my face. Your face will peel with this and you only need a little bit in each area, Retin A, a little goes a long way. Take your porbiotics as directed. Bed.

In the morning I would take a warm, not hot, shower. While I bathed, my face would be steamed enough to gentle take my fingers and rub the skin to get some of it off and help the flaking. Then I would spot with the Retin A only on the bad parts and then use Clean & Clear Oil-Free Dual Action Moisturizer with Salicylic acid . Keep the Retin A far away from your eyes! All of this stuff actually.

After about a three days my skin was actually much better. I kept up with this routine until my pimples were almost completely gone.

My routine now. No more retin A, unless I get a big one, which I havent. No more Clean & Clear Oil-Free Dual Action Moisturizer with Salicylic acid.

At night I wash my face with Tom's Of Maine moisturizing soap. Then I wipe the erythromycin pads on my face, very careful not to get any near my eyes. I go to bed. In the morning I wash with Tom's again and put on the Aveeno, I don't use the Erythromycin pads in the day, my routine is only to fight acne at night as my face is sensitive and it needs a rest from all the meds. I have no pimples now and have my skin back. I am still nursing the moisture back into it as I do have a few flaky spots left but it is healing very nicely and I can hold my head up again and happily trot outside. I can even run now.

I hope this helps you. I am sorry you are going through this. Here are the tools you need. It's worth the price and peace of mind.

Your Dermatologist:

Erythromycin Pleglets (wipes)

Retin A (small tube)

Your local pharmacy:

Clean & Clear Oil-Free Dual Action Moisturizer with Salicylic acid

Clear & Clean Advantage Acne Cleanser

Aveeno Ultra Calming Daily Moisteriser

Tom's Of Maine moisturizing soap

Health Store;

Probiotics

Please take the probiotics, they help your insides. They really do help. ;)

thanks a million antibioticsboo i will surely give it a try but i would like to know can i continue all these medications with my gylcolic peels and microdermabrassion.

No. I would pick one regimen and stick to that. How long have you been getting these treatments? Are you doing the "at home" treatments or going to a professional to get them done?

Doing both would be overkill. Sometimes a face just needs to rest.

No matter what your regimen is you can definitely take probiotics. Probiotics replace all the good bacteria that the antibiotics destroyed and will set your hormones and yes, even if you are male, back to normal levels, which will help fight the bad bacteria that appears on your face. They help a lot of things in the body, so yes, you can take the probiotics with ANY regimen you choose.

No. I would pick one regimen and stick to that. How long have you been getting these treatments? Are you doing the "at home" treatments or going to a professional to get them done?

Doing both would be overkill. Sometimes a face just needs to rest.

No matter what your regimen is you can definitely take probiotics. Probiotics replace all the good bacteria that the antibiotics destroyed and will set your hormones and yes, even if you are male, back to normal levels, which will help fight the bad bacteria that appears on your face. They help a lot of things in the body, so yes, you can take the probiotics with ANY regimen you choose.

Short term antiobiotics can cause severe break outs as your body is attempting to dispel them. The same thing happened to me after I took a short course of amoxycillin for when I had my wisdom teeth removed. It was awful, my derm would have put me on accutane but I refused. So everyone just be careful