Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DesertRat

Shaving for Men

I posted this in my log but I've been getting a lot of question about shaving so I thought I would post my tips and some links to helpful websites here. (Moderators, please move if this is the wrong area)

I've found some great sites on the proper way to shave. When I say shave, I'm talking about wet shaving. One of my favorite sites is www.shavemyface.com and also www.youtube.com/shavetutor. There's a user on youtube and SMF that has created some great videos of wetshaving.

Here are some tips that have helped me YMMV:

1. Shower before you shave

2. Don't towel dry your face

3. Apply shave cream or gel (no foams!!). Use a shave brush if you can with a good quality cream.

4. Shave with a single blade or double blade razor only. If you use a double blade, use the Gillette Good News disposable razor and then throw it out!! Also, the Bic Sensitive single blade is good as well. Use a disposable razor only once!!! Your razor should be sharp! You can also use an old fashioned safety razor which has a single blade. You have to focus on your technique with this razor as you can cut yourself. But these remain sharp longer and will help with ingrowns.

5. Shave with the grain only. If you don't have any problems, then you can try across or against the grain.

6. If you use an aftershave, use a high quality one that does not contain alcohol.

Most shave creams or gels are alkaline which actually helps with the shave. That being said, they lower the natural Acid Mantle of your skin which needs to be restored. That's where a high quality aftershave comes into play. The aftershave should moisturize your skin and return your skin to its natural pH balance.

Here's my current shave regimen:

Morning

1. Shower

2. Purpose Gentle Face Cleanser or Face Scrub

3. Hop out of shower. Don't dry face

4. Apply shave cream or gel. Wait 1 minute for cream or gel to soak in

5. Shave with the grain. Only shave the area if it has cream or gel on it.

6. Rinse with warm water, then cold.

7. Apply toner and/or aftershave (I don't use toner but it can help in some cases)

I can also post specific products I recommend but I'll only do that if people ask. I don't want to seem like I'm plugging products.

Hope that helps people as it has helped me.

i shave and use my face soap for lubrication. shaving always makes my face look better, i do it every 3 days so as not to over-exfoliate.

My routine:

Shave after shower with Gillette Fusion.

Absolutely no irritation. Two blades with non-fusion gel cause irritation. I used to be one of those people that bought the cheapest blades possible. But seriously, sometimes brands do matter, and this is one of those cases.

I shave daily because I have to, unless I want to look unprofessional at work.

I should have clarified in my original post that my tips are for people, like me, that have issues with shaving. That is, people that get ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Many times when these conditions exist, they can become infected and turn into inflammatory acne.

If you aren't having issues with shaving then that's fine but, in general, the more blades you use for shaving, i.e., 3 and and up blade razors, the more problems with ingrown hairs and razor bumps you might have. These multi-blade razors actually cut the hair below the skin's surface which can lead to ingrown hairs or razor bumps. I can't use a razor that has more than 2 blades without this occuring.

Also, your drugstore foams and some gels are mostly air and don't have the lubrication to adequately protect your face from your razor. High end creams provide a water based layer between your razor and your face.

I do propose that you try shaving with your regular face wash though.