Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
woe-is-me

Anyone else ever have this?

So here is my story...about 4 months ago, I noticed that I was breaking out in these little pimples that were itchy on my neck. I had been using Proactive for a while and didn't attribute these to that, as I wasn't applying it to my neck. I chalked it up to irritation from my hair, and tried to keep my neck uncovered as much as possible The pimply rash has not gone away. To complicate things, I more recently noticed that my eyes were very irritated all of the time and, since the Proactive seemed to have quit working anyway (very dry skin, breakouts regardless, skin basically looking overtreated and crappy), I decided to stop with the Proactive. Scared to go completely cold turkey, I started using salicylic Stridex wipes in the morning and BP wipes (2.5%) at night. The problem is that in the last week or so, what was on my neck seems to have spread to my ENTIRE face. Little, itchy pimples everywhere. I went to my primary care doc yesterday and she basically said she had no idea what it was, and instructed me to keep all products off of my face for the weekend (needless to say, I won't be going anywhere). She gave me a referral to the derm, but who knows when I'll be able to get in. Her nurse basically acted like I was some sort of leper, which made me feel much better. This is freaking me out and I feel very helpless just sitting back and watching my face turn into a big bumpy, itchy, mess. Anyone else ever go through this? What did you do to treat it? I am currently just washing gently with Cetapil morning and night per the doctor.

The same thing happened to me 7 years ago when i tried proactiv. You are having an allergic reaction.. Proactiv doesn't work for alot of people because they don't tell you anywhere in their commercials or in your order that you must provide your own moisturizer. I called to return mine and that is when the woman told me that the 3 step system does not include a moisturizer and she asked me was I using one. I said no cause I thought that it was included in one of the 3 steps.. The itching is because of the excessive dryness.. You need to just let it calm down over the weekend and don't put anything drying on your skin. You will know when it is healed.. It might take a week depending on how bad it is..Mine took about a week and then it just went away.. No more BP because that will happen again.. Go for the Salycilic Acid. Just make sure that you have an excellent moisturizer.. I suggest getting one from the health food store in your area.

Thanks for your response. I think you are right. I was actually able to get into the derm and she also seemed to think it was some sort of wierd allergic reaction. Unfortunately, she thinks that my stressing out about it only made it worse. It is not significantly better, but I suppose it will take some time to heal itself. I am trying not to stress, but it is hard! I think I am off chemical treatments for good at this point.

I would say that you are allergic to BP. If I were you, this is what I would do.. Use a mild cleanser like Noxema (my preference) or cetaphil. Take a washcloth and very gently exfoliate with the cleanser.. Don't pick unless it is very ready. Then follow dan's advice on popping pimples.. this should be done right after cleansing. Then follow with 2% medical grade SA made by Glytone. Not the otc stuff with lots of alcohol added. Except the Noxema brand. It works to just not as fast.You can get it via internet or call around your area to see if anyone sells it. The Glytone website may tell you who sells it in your area.. It cost me $16.00 but lasts a long time and is wel worth it.. Use this after cleansing and then follow with a good moisturizer, not a thick night cream. I reccommend Avalon Organics Vitamin C with spf 15. I got mine at my local healthfood store but you can order it online as well. Just google it. This is all you need and in month you will not believe the difference.. If I can figure out how to post a photo, I will show you what it did for me.. I don't have a before photo but the one I have is a result of this regimen. I am starting it again tonight because I just had a baby and my skin broke out again from the hormone changes..I was not allowed to use the SA during pregnancy..Hope this helps

post-56195-1175724532_thumb.jpg

post-56195-1175724532_thumb.jpg